Forum Jump: 

#1 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is NOT a rant, a genuine question:

and Asian American Month?
or Latino American Month?

why are there months singling out a group of people? do they not teach about cultures all year round? I don't understand the methodology here... wouldn't it just be American history all year round? why is there certain months ? what is the reason for this?
#2 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I can't remember when they are, but I do recall Disney Channell having all the theme songs in Chinese or Spanish for a month, for Chinese (or was it general Asian?) heritage month and Hispanic heritage month. I don't know if these are actual "official" months that repeat every year, or just a promotion that Disney did once.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 03:43 PM

I'm not sure if this is a rant or an attempt to start a conversation. Can you clarify?

How does Black History Month affect your homeschool?
#4 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
when is European American Month?
uh, every month is European American Month

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#5 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
I'm not sure if this is a rant or an attempt to start a conversation. Can you clarify?

?
yeah, I don't get the question.:

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#6 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post

How does Black History Month affect your homeschool?
not a rant really a question! I didn't have this in public school when I went so it's new to me to hear that this month is African American Month and that November is Native American Month. I was just wondering when the other nationalities that make up America are celebrated/observed/remembered - I just don't understand the reasoning behind having a month where you single out a people...do you just not learn/talk about that people the rest of the year? Maybe this is a question better asked else where, but I thought it fit here the best
#7 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
do you just not learn/talk about that people the rest of the year?
Yeah, in your typical American school setting, you don't. The bias toward European/Judeo-Christian male history and culture is completely overwhelming. It will be a great day when we don't need Black History Month, or Native American History Month, or Women's History month, but the reality right now is that unless a certain time is set aside for them, they get overlooked.

ETA: Maybe you should edit your post title and clarify in your OP what you're getting at, because it really does come across as baiting.

dm
#8 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Perhaps you would consider changing your title then, if you are genuinely seeking out when different cultures are celebrated? I, like others, read it as if you were upset that there is a Black History Month.

And really, we celebrate European American all the time. Have you picked up a textbook lately?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 04:36 PM

This question always reminds me of my mother's answer to my question "why is there a mother's day and father's day but no kid's day?!?". Her answer, of course, was "every day is kid's day." So, in the United States, every day/month is European American day/month.
#10 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
and Asian American Month?
or Latino American Month?

why are there any months singling out a minority? can't we just learn about cultures all year round? I don't understand the methodology here...
Looking past the original title on this one. You can learn whatever you want whenever you want, you don't need a calendar to tell you when to celebrate and learn about others. Why have those months, well why not? Why not celebrate those who have added to the tapestry of this country by giving them a special time to shine on top of learning about them during their none designated months.

African American History Month: February
Women's History Month: March
Asian/Pacific Heritage Month: May
Hispanic Heritage Month: September 15 to October 15
American Indian Heritage Month: November
#11 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackysmama View Post
This question always reminds me of my mother's answer to my question "why is there a mother's day and father's day but no kid's day?!?". Her answer, of course, was "every day is kid's day." So, in the United States, every day/month is European American day/month.
Yes! I remember that answer too

I agree that at face value the question could appear sarcastic. I'm not suggesting your intent, but since others read it that way, could you clarify?

Thanks

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#12 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 PM

I love how the universe looks out for me. I had a reply all set for this totally cliche, totally "can never move to the next level" question...and then my browser shut down.

So, um...yeah. Doesn't even deserve a response. But, definitely makes me
#13 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendid View Post
African American History Month: February
Women's History Month: March
Asian/Pacific Heritage Month: May
Hispanic Heritage Month: September 15 to October 15
American Indian Heritage Month: November
And European American Month?

January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December. Believe me, it's covered.
#14 of 123 Old 02-13-2008, 11:52 PM

i clicked on the thread thinking there actually was a european american month! silly me! i was a little shocked! it does feel like our society has to "point out" the other cultures and it just doesn't all flow together and we celebrate the unique diversity that makes america so unique and diverse. with that being said, it does feel like you should be ashamed if you are european american in our present society. i, will admit, i grew up homeschooled so wasn't exposed to public schools and their agenda and "chopped up" textbooks. i understand..or at least i think i do....what you're getting at...why can't we just celebrate "ALL" the cultures year round instead of breaking it up....well the beauty of homeschool is....WE CAN!
#15 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 AM

Well, the reasons behind establishing AA History Month were noble. Unfortunately, since there is AA History Month, most schools make an (often half-hearted) effort to honor AA's *only* in February. The rest of the year, AA history and important AA persons are ignored. Same goes for other groups of "minorities".

So I'm not exactly sure if AA History Month is a good thing. Or some kind of soothing salve for a collective guilty conscience and nothing more. Sort of like the benefit concerts they have for underprivileged people in poor parts of the world.

FWIW, AA history is actually American history. I cannot wait till the day when AA history is not thought of and taught as something apart and separate.

This is one of the *main* reasons why I am choosing homeschool.

Oh, and AA history did not start with slavery and end with the Civil Right movement.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#16 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Well, the reasons behind establishing AA History Month were noble. Unfortunately, since there is AA History Month, most schools make an (often half-hearted) effort to honor AA's *only* in February. The rest of the year, AA history and important AA persons are ignored. Same goes for other groups of "minorities".

So I'm not exactly sure if AA History Month is a good thing. Or some kind of soothing salve for a collective guilty conscience and nothing more. Sort of like the benefit concerts they have for underprivileged people in poor parts of the world.

FWIW, AA history is actually American history. I cannot wait till the day when AA history is not thought of and taught as something apart and separate.

Oh, and AA history did not start with slavery and end with the Civil Right movement.

So true.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#17 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:

I was raised in the southern US as a public schooled child. I fully admit that in my youthful ignorance I thought it was absurd that there was an AA history month. : Now I don't hate that there IS one... I hate that there has to be one. I don't understand how in the 21st century textbooks are still printed with such a one sided view of history that leaves out an entire HUGE slice of the population? It's way past time those lopsided books get recycled and new ones printed where ANY person of historical note is included alongside the peers of their time.

And you said it perfectly above
Quote:

*Here I'm faced with helping my sons learn about Aboriginal history & culture...which I myself know zero about! What an adventure that will be!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#18 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your insight
#19 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
And really, we celebrate European American all the time. Have you picked up a textbook lately?

Maybe that is the problem she hasn't. LOL

We don't do AA month because we do history from the begging to know. We hit cultures ALL cultures as they come. We also do things like we don't know much about these groups because -------------. History is bias because it is written by the victor.
#20 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
Maybe that is the problem she hasn't. LOL

We don't do AA month because we do history from the begging to know. We hit cultures ALL cultures as they come. We also do things like we don't know much about these groups because -------------. History is bias because it is written by the victor.
This does bring it all around nicely to homeschooling, doesn't it? I love that we can "right the wrongs" of traditional curriculum.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#21 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin2004 View Post
Exactly what I was going to say!
#22 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
This does bring it all around nicely to homeschooling, doesn't it? I love that we can "right the wrongs" of traditional curriculum.
Alternatively, some parents teach even more bias. You could teach your children nothing but your own religion and history from the POV of that religion and that everybody who isn't just like you is "wrong" or "less than human".

I don't think anybody on MDC thinks like that or teaches like that, but unfortunately these individuals do exist.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#23 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Black History Month is the shortest month of the year. Coincidence? I think not, but there are different months to celebrate some of the cultures, but it is by no means exhaustive. I do, however, think it is a step in heaqling a country founded on racism.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#24 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 06:46 PM

We frequently comment about it being the shortest month of the year, but the truth is that Carter G. Woodson chose the second week of February as Negro History Week very deliberately, because of the association with the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. It didn't expand to Black History Month until 1976.
#25 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin2004
I was taught nothing but shame for being European American in history and I doubt 20 years later it has gotten any better. History isn't taught as European Heritage or that they did these things because they were European Americans like they do with other heritages. Nothing about it is a "celebration" of European Americans.

We welcomed our 3rd , 7th September 23, 2010!
#26 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCalling View Post
I was taught nothing but shame for being European American in history and I doubt 20 years later it has gotten any better. History isn't taught as European Heritage or that they did these things because they were European Americans like they do with other heritages. Nothing about it is a "celebration" of European Americans.
In what way specifically are you talking about?

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#27 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCalling View Post
Wow that was brave thing to post! I'd expect some backlash from that. I will say something else that may come off "controversal". One of the final factors that determined us pulling our dd's out of public school was "black history month". Both of my dd's as well as the rest of their white class spent a week doing busy work in class & learning nothing while the black students all got to participate in a week long celebration, learning environment, & a play at the end of the week celebrating their black history. Now while I understand the school was not purposefully trying to segregate the white students from the black my dd's were certainly not allowed to receive equel education that week. Further more the backlash from the white students was quite the opposite that I would think would be wanted. The white children were left with the resentment & attitude that the "blacks" got to do the fun stuff because they were "black". Now that we homeschool we try to teach history regardless of color. This year we have been learning history specific to our state which happens to be Louisiana. It has been very enjoyable to teach them about the foundation that the many cultrues helped to create. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to teach a fair and accurate history of Louisiana without spending quite a bit of time on cultures other than European.

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
#28 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
In what way specifically are you talking about?

Maybe (if it was anything like my history classes growing up) pp was talking about how we are taught so strongly about how our forefathers did horrible things (not saying it wasn't...i dont agree with what they did so dont flame me) But the focus of the account of history was never positive on the side of the euro-americans. The list of bad deeds long...and not much time spent on things we COULD be proud of in our heritage. When I think about my heritage as a euro-american...i think what we did to Native Americans (which I happen to be partly, but wasnt raised with heritage about that side), what we did to African Americans, hispanics in states like California, Chinese Americans in railroad era, Japanese Americans during the ww II When we put them in "camps" because we didnt trust them...I could go on. Maybe we spent time sometimes on something good that "we" did, but it was so few and far between. It is a bit frustrating being educated in this manner because as a child I remember during these celebration months thinking it sucks to be white because we dont get to celebrate, and shame because of my "heritage", and also resentment because while the "other" races celebrated they also brought up over and over all my "white race transgressions" though I didnt do anything myself to harm them (in fact many of them were my friends any other time of the year when they were not reminded that somewhere back in history a euro american harmed a person of ____ american ) and I cant really be held responsable for the horrable things that happened in the past any more than I can help being born the skin color I am. I guess I feel if we are to have heritage moths there should be one for everyone because though the rest of history may be euro american biased in my experience it was far from a celebration of my heritage.
#29 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
why are there any months singling out a minority? can't we just learn about cultures all year round? I don't understand the methodology here...
Well, I assume you are specifically referring to Black History Month. We have Black History Month because unlike other minorities, Blacks were brought here against their will, sold and traded like animals, viewed and treated (legally) as sub-human, and they physically build the foundation of this country for free.

Racism is still alive and well in the USofA. People need to be educated about the contributions of Black Americans, as well as the history surrounding how and why they are here.

There are many Black people who are not familiar with their own heritage because it was ripped away from them during the slave trade. Families were intentionally separated so as to break their spirits and to make it easier for them to be oppressed.

The fact that people don't know these things, or think these reasons are not important enough to dedicate a mere 28 days a year to honoring Black Americans is exactly why we need Black History Month.
#30 of 123 Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 PM

Well I'm not an American so you can take this FWIW, but Canada has it's own set of racist problems, and I have spent a fair bit of time travelling int he states...... There is a _______ history month becuase otherwise there would be no way to force institutions to ntegrate that into curriculum. It's a bandaid that's for sure, Canada loves to talka bout how multi-cultural we are but I think that rederick actually serves to hide some very deeply ingrained racism's.

While there may be a long list of problems perpetrated by white settlers to the americans the basis of US history education is that where the nation is at now is thanks to the founding fathers, and where you are now is great! So while there may be specific examples of "bad" things the underlying assumption is that civilisations/capitalism etc was brought/created by white europeans.

History is written by the winners and the winners don't paint themselves in a basnsly the issues of racism hid the realities of class. In fact the history of the poor and working class is very often one of unity and integration, and that fact has been systematically written out of history by the powers that be. People who were so screwed they didnt' have the priveledge of segregation. Unfortunatly part of the problem with teaching real history like that is that it often involves digging deep as parents to find that history and then learning it oursleves.

I don't think it's good enough to simply talk about the hero's of the civil rights movement, or to say a lot of chinese people were killed. Beneth everyone of those historical fact there will be the heroic stories of a few regular folks, and we need to dig those out and present them alongside our founding fathers. Otherwise we are just painting a very untrue history of the white elite and the longsuffering masses in the "other races".........

Hope this makes sense, all hell is breaking loose around meeeee......

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page