returning FIAR, now what? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-04-2003, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday we wnt to the library with our FIAR booklist, took out 5 of the books listed, came home and read them. DD and I did not like them and I can't imagine spending the entire year and our whole curriculum based around books like these.

So now I'm back to square 1 , I think I'm going to buy a phonics program and a math program and make up my own FIAR- type lessons with the kind of books we like.

I'm looking into Saxton Phonics and Math, has anyone had experience with these programs?

Or can anyone suggest something appropriate for a very visual 5yo?

The choices are endless, I'd like to narow my search and have some feedback.

HELP!
#2 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 12:06 AM

T I don't use a curriculum so can't help you there but was looking at your sig and thought it was too bad we're not closer. My dd was born 10/98 and my ds 5/02
#3 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 02:30 AM

We had the same problem with FIAR. I did make up my own FIAR style units for other books and it was fun. I would not personally use Saxon. It's very boring and repetative and "school-ish". Check out Singapore Math and Phonics Pathways.
#4 of 6 Old 09-06-2003, 12:58 AM

I haven't seen FIAR, but if you liked the general idea, just not those particular books, you might want to take a look at the book "Story Stretchers" and its sequels. They have activities based on children's books, but you can very easily pick and choose the books and the activities. You might even be able to find this book at the library.

We also have a book called Making Make-Believe by MaryAnn Kohl that has lots of fun activities including a whole section on make-believe based on children's books. All MaryAnn Kohl's art books for children are wonderful.
#5 of 6 Old 09-06-2003, 01:22 AM

Hi Chicklet.. sorry you are having a hard time. I have been there so I totally understand.

I have decided to go with FIAR this year with my 5 year old son. I love the classic books that have been chosen. If I hadn't ordered FIAR I would have used KONOS. I did tons of research and read countless reviews and had narrowed my choices down to these 2 programs. You can check out www.konos.com and also join the message board there..which is wonderful! I am also ordering KONOS Africa in a Bag to do with Jack at the end of our homeschool year or possibly thru the summer. I think we will have a blast with it and I am just as anxious to give KONOS a try as I am FIAR .. It will help me to decide which one of the programs I will stick with for 1st grade.

If you aren't familiar with KONOS. It uses a unit study approach with TONS of hands-on activities that you can choose from and lots of wonderful living books that coincide with the lesson plan. Some moms say that it is too time consuming and too overwhelming.. having so many choices to make. I personally love that aspect of it! You don't do everything.. you just go through and pick out what you think your child will enjoy and what you know you have time for. Each KONOS volumn is designed to be spread out over a 2 year period. You must get the necessary books from the library or other source that go with each study. You will also have to come up with necessary craft materials etc.. The volumns alone are very reasonably priced. If you need something that is more structured, requiring less time to put together.. go with KONOS In a Box.. which has your daily lessons planned out for you (you still have the freedom to change things around or tweak it if you choose). Each package is designed to cover around 16 weeks and comes with the necessary literature as well as craft materials.. It's all there! But the price is higher of course... I choose KONOS in a Bag because I personally am facinated by Africa and believe we will have a ball learning more about it... and also because it does not contain all the language arts that the KONOS in a Box contains.. which I don't think a 5 year old really needs.

wow.. didn't mean to type so much....

I'm going to give you the link to the FIAR message board just in case you decide later to give it another try. It is less time consuming than KONOS will be but I believe it will be just as effective at being a strong, literature based, educational tool.

http://www.fiveinarow.com/cgi-bin/fo...000&LastLogin=

good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 09-07-2003, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Wow mamas! Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into each suggestion - I wish I had done this 2 months ago!! I feel pressured to begin our scholing, but thankful that I have the freedom to postpone (yay for home schooling!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page