Do you own a denim jumper? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you own a demin jumper?
Heck no. 286 100.00%
No. Well, OK, yes, but I never wear it. 16 100.00%
Heck yes. 8 100.00%
Yes, but I only wear it to official homeschooling events. 0 0%
Yes, and I wear it all the time. 4 50.00%
Yes, and I get bonus points for appliques. 2 25.00%
Well really, I prefer denim skirts. 45 100.00%
Other 17 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No jumpers here. No jumpsuits either. Lots of denim jeans tho... and my beloved denim jacket. I lurve tye dyes, especially on the kids

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 12:45 PM

No way! I have jeans and capris, even a cute jean jacket and matching a-line skirt (that will fit again someday--really). But no jumpers for me.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:52 PM

i can raid my mom's closet and give everyone a denim jumper from the homeschool days! lol it seemed like every mom at the homeschool events wore denim jumpers..i almost died when i saw this!

i voted have a denim skirt. it was hard for me to buy one...the stereotype was the main reason! mine has major blingy rhinestones and a pink satin bow belt....i also wear makeup...major taboo with the denim jumper wearers! lol
Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM

Nope. Before I joined this forum, I didn't even know what a jumper was.

I did, however, own a denim skirt or two at some point in the 80s or early 90s. I had a denim jacket too. And a couple tie-dye t-shirts. The 80s were .
Old 02-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Okay, it occurs to me that I couldn't wear a denim jumper even if I wanted to. How the heck are you supposed to nurse in one of those things? :
Old 02-21-2008, 02:39 PM

Yes, I own a couple of denim jumpers. The applique one is a garden dress and about to hit the dumpster. I love my denim and khaki skirts though!!!

Orthodox Mama
Old 02-21-2008, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milakais View Post
Okay, it occurs to me that I couldn't wear a denim jumper even if I wanted to. How the heck are you supposed to nurse in one of those things? :
Oh, easy. Either you have the kind that have an overall bib and you just unhook, or it has really deep-cut sleeves and button, and you wear a nursing shirt with it.

Erm... not that I know this from experience or anything.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-21-2008, 02:42 PM

I don't but my dd won't give hers up!
Old 02-21-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis View Post
I don't but my dd won't give hers up!
I love Katie Grace in jumpers.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Funny poll...

I chose "other" just because I don't care if someone else wants one, so "heck no" felt incorrect. :-)

(But, no.)

--Heather
Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 PM

how do you nurse in a jumper?

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
how do you nurse in a jumper?
See post 67.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Oh, easy. Either you have the kind that have an overall bib and you just unhook, or it has really deep-cut sleeves and button, and you wear a nursing shirt with it.

Erm... not that I know this from experience or anything.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 PM

I am completely jumper free.

I do, however, have hair down to my booty. (I trim it, though.)
Old 02-21-2008, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I have a (short) denim skirt... and a denim jacket... and lots of denim jeans... but no denim jumpers. No jumpers, period.

I think the equivalent for unschoolers would be tie-dyes... I do have a bunch of those...

dar
I've been known to wear denim with tie dye.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Just a funny aside... Jumpers are what sweaters are called in Australia & NZ
OK, now I'm imagining somebody cutting denim into strips and crocheting or knitting with those denim strips, to make an Austailain/NZ/European denim jumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milakais View Post
The jumper I used to have was GREAT for nursing in! It was A-line, with buttons on both sides (and fit great in early pg and was very flattering postpartum). I would open up the side buttons and pull it inwards, and I wore it with a blouse underneath that I would only button on the top and the very bottom, so the combination made a GREAT nursing dress!

I had another denim jumper that had deep armholes AND zipped up the front. I could either do the deep armholes/half buttoned blouse trick, or I could wear it with a regular t-shirt and unzip the middle and pull up the shirt. I gave that one away years ago because the front zipper design meant that it didn't fully close in the front- the jumper was mid calf length and the zipper only went to knee length, and I just didn't like how the front didn't stay closed. It wasn't really comfortable, it kept blowing around and making me cold, etc. But nursing in it wasn't the problem.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM

I voted heck no because you couldn't pay me to wear one. I don't have a problem with them on other people, I just hate dresses for me. I do own a denim skirt, though. Haven't worn it in awhile as the weight gain from the last couple of kids makes it not quite so comfy as it was before, but I keep it in hopes it'll become comfortable this year.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:19 PM

::.K. Let me compose myself!I was raised as an unschooler, and was surrounded by a flock of denim jumpers anytime we went to a social event!Not to mention Church!And the appliqe's!Oh my heavens!Some were more iron-on than jumper!
What cracks me up too is that we used to make fun of the girls in any type dress-especially fancy- with JEANS!!!Now my girls ARE those girls!We find it far too convenient and logical to care.... I also love jumpers for the girls-It's our happy medium between their desire to be naked and my desire to at least seem civilized!Many a time we learned too late-at the store,at church,the park,etc...that dd was really ONLY in a jumper!!!!! We try to encourage tights more now!
I do not have jumpers,as one cannot tandem nurse in them,any I could find ,anyway,and that was the last time I was in the market for clothes.One like the ones described above would have been fantastic for tandeming!A nice piece of fabric they could not move...yeah!I DO have a long denim skirt-made for boots!

:::
Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No jumpers.

But, I do have a denim bikini and a denim bellydance costume (with a red bandana veil).
Old 02-21-2008, 05:42 PM

No jumpers.

Several jeans, a couple pairs of capris and a skirt (that I never wear) but no jumpers!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 PM

A (homeschooling) acquaintance told me she's going to dress up as a homeschooling mom for Halloween this year; I might have to steal her idea .

What shoes go best with a denim jumper? Tennis shoes? With short socks?

Jill, wife to J, mama to O (10/03), MK (7/05), angel1.gif(7/09), A (5/4/10), and ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stork-suprise.gif** 

Old 02-21-2008, 08:27 PM

Well, years ago I did....and then I did the overalls thing WAY too much, to the point where my DH said if he ever saw me in overalls again he might have to do something drastic!

I do joke with my homeschool friends though, that we need to wear our jumpers to official homeschooling events, LOL.

Wife and SAHM to our two girls and one little man.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:01 PM

I thought that was a midwest thing! It seems like all of the uber-fundies here are members of what I always called the "Denim Skirt Society" ROTFL

Although, to be fair, I do know some crunchy mamas that wear them, but it seems they are out in droves at the churchy stuff.

Cute Poll

Bellevuemama

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 02-22-2008, 01:43 AM

i didn't realize it was a requirement
no jumpers or denim skirts for me. none of the other hsers i know wear them, either. of course, that's only two people.

Mama to three  
Old 02-22-2008, 01:57 AM

I voted "other". I own several long denim skirts that I like to wear, and I own one denim jumper but it's a maternity jumper. I would wear a denim jumper if I could find one that would fit me correctly -- i.e., if it were long enough. They're all too short (I have a 34" inseam) which is why I stick with the denim skirts even though my friends tease me for looking uber frummie. I like the look of denim jumpers and never really associated them with homeschoolers, and my dd loves her "overall dresses" as she refers to them (she has 3).
Old 02-22-2008, 03:00 AM

I have one.
I only wear it with 20 eye docs and funky socks, though.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 PM

No. But I wear jeans every day.

I chuckled when I saw the title of this thread. I know a couple of older H/S moms that own denim jumpers. They've both been homeschooling since the 80's.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 02-22-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindRedSpirit View Post
I also love jumpers for the girls-It's our happy medium between their desire to be naked and my desire to at least seem civilized!Many a time we learned too late-at the store,at church,the park,etc...that dd was really ONLY in a jumper!!!!! We try to encourage tights more now!
This sounds soooo much like my 5 yr old DD. She could live without clothing (only underwear) if she never had to leave the house.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 02-22-2008, 01:06 PM

Shortly after I started homeschooling someone gave me a denim jumper. They thought I needed it since I was homeschooling!

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
Old 02-22-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_ani View Post
Shortly after I started homeschooling someone gave me a denim jumper. They thought I needed it since I was homeschooling!
That's hilarious!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:36 PM

I do have a denim jumper I never wear but... I have a denim skirt I love and wear all the time. I didn't realize the skirt counted toward the stereotype! :

User Tag List