Getting Paid to Homeschool Others - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-25-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is just a thought that is mulling around in my head. Not in anyway in the planning stages. At this point just a mere thought that struck me while doing dishes the other night.

Can you get paid to homeschool others?

First, some info. I am in ONtario and if I am right, your child can be HS by anyone as long as they are "receiving satisfactory education elsewhere". You do not have to "prove" your HS abilities or report on what you are doing here.

Also, I have been a home daycare provider for 4 years so I am already accustomed to caring for other family's children in my home.

My son is 7 and daughter 4 and they attend PS but will not return in September.

So, I was thinking that maybe a few years down the road when I have figured out the HS/US thing a bit more I might consider teaching others if there was a need for it from another family.

Like I said, very preliminary thought at this point.

Does anyone have anything to add? Advice? Experience etc.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#2 of 6 Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think that if you're homeschooling a bunch of other kids, it's more of a "private school" than "homeschooling" at that point.

I can certainly see tutoring as a side business while HSing your own kids, but bringing in a whole bunch of kids to learn with yours all day would change the dynamics of your own kids' learning and it wouldn't really be "homeschooling" anymore. It might be a great private school that avoids many of the pitfalls of today's schools, but it would still be a school.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 6 Old 02-25-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I think that if you're homeschooling a bunch of other kids, it's more of a "private school" than "homeschooling" at that point.

I can certainly see tutoring as a side business while HSing your own kids, but bringing in a whole bunch of kids to learn with yours all day would change the dynamics of your own kids' learning and it wouldn't really be "homeschooling" anymore. It might be a great private school that avoids many of the pitfalls of today's schools, but it would still be a school.

Hmmm....I see your point about changing the dynamic.

I would only be considering one or maybe two kids on a part-time basis though.

But I get your point.

See, that is why this board is so great. You nearly always get someone with a perspective that you yourself did not see.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#4 of 6 Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 PM

I would still consider it homeschooling if you only took on 1-3 extra kids. It's like homeschooling a larger family, but still homeschooling. You would still be able to tailor the curriculum to each child, etc.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 6 Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM

This is something I have been considering, as well. I've decided that if I do this, I will only add 1 child at a time, and it will have to be for children who are younger than my oldest child, so that I have more of a feel for what to expect at that age. (I'm not at all saying that all kids are the same at certain ages, but I would just hope that it would help me to understand another child better if I've already seen at least one of my children through that age.)

chicken3.gif

#6 of 6 Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM

I was actually offered an opportunity like this. The mom wanted me to homeschool her daughter in teh afternoon in certain subjects with my kids,but I declined. I didn't feel comfortable being responsible for this child's "education" since I'm ok with my kids running around all day and learning things as they come. I felt if I had this other child I'd have to do a "sit down at the table and this is what we are going to learn today" style of teaching because I feel the mom (who is a good friend of mine) would want her to know certain things by the years end, whereas for us we dont really follow a timeline at the moment, just lots of learning through stories etc.

then again, if it was set up like a few of my friends in another city, I wouldn't mind. They get together a couple times a month and each mom takes turns teaching something, crafty or religious studies and the kids (and the moms) get to play together and hang out afterwards

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page