nature journal ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-19-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi...
i'm planning ahead for my dd's curriculum next year. she will be in first grade and almost 7 when school starts in the fall. one of the things i really want to incorporate is a nature journal for my kids (my son will HAVE to have a journal too of course - he's 4). here's what i've got so far....i've got beautiful journal paper with nature borders, and i've got a wonderful backyard to explore, we have parks near-by, sidewalks in my town where we can go on long walks and investigate the world around us, etc. but having said all that - WHAT DO WE JOURNAL ABOUT? i literally need a book or something with 450 ideas for nature book journal entries or something, lol.

my dd would like drawing nature & finding things, but she is just learning to read (via headsprout.com) and although she can write, she would HATE writing a paragraph of something. so i need creative ideas of what and how we do this? i would like it to be more than something we're just making up as we go - ykwim? is there a website with nature journal entry ideas...or can any of you charlotte mason mamas help me out? also, for those of you that utilize nature journals - is it daily or a couple of times of week? not that it matters i guess...i'm just curious. TIA!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#2 of 9 Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 PM

Go to http://www.flickr.com and do a search for "nature journal". It will pull up stuff from kids and adults.
#3 of 9 Old 03-19-2008, 06:56 PM

What a great idea...
I would use a journal:

*** to make sketches
*** to list things we find
*** make rubbings from the tree trunks, rocks, and leaves
*** to preserve flowers and plants that we like
*** I think a four year old might enjoy tracing things
*** an older child could make up stories about things/birds/animals you see on your walks?
*** I'd also glue in little pockets and envolopes on some of the pages, and collect seeds, little rocks, twigs and whatnot...
*** I might also get nature stickers, and incorporate that into our walks if a child doesn't like to write too much.
*** I'd record weather (temperature? clouds? rain? snow?), and you can use simple picture-symbols to do that

Good luck with that! :

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#4 of 9 Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the great ideas!! i will definitely use them!!!! i also found some nature journal ideas that were tucked away VERY WELL at homeschoolshare.com here: http://www.homeschoolshare.com/nature_journal.php

i think ( i hope) i'm good to go now!!

#5 of 9 Old 03-20-2008, 12:06 PM

If you're still interested in looking at other stuff:

A Handbook of Nature Study is the CM bible for nature study

Acorn Naturalists is a bookstore dedicated to nature study, ecology and environmental education, and they even have a book called Keeping a Nature Journal.
#6 of 9 Old 03-20-2008, 02:21 PM

We would just bring the notebooks along and my dd was naturally drawn to sit down in the midst of nature and sketch deer tracks or flowers or whatever. I didn't worry about writing or labeling in them at all at this age. As they grow they will probably want to write more near the pictures for their own records and knowledge. I would just have them available and see where your kiddos go with them--and have one for yourself handy to model it to them. :
#7 of 9 Old 03-20-2008, 05:32 PM

You might be interested in this blog link someone sent to me yesterday. I haven't read the whole thing but it looks very interesting and would definitely connect you to other homeschoolers who are doing nature journaling.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#8 of 9 Old 03-20-2008, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns View Post
You might be interested in this blog link someone sent to me yesterday. I haven't read the whole thing but it looks very interesting and would definitely connect you to other homeschoolers who are doing nature journaling.

thank you! this blog is wonderful and it links to another blog: http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/ it's awesome!! i really love that she recommends focusing on a specific aspect for 6-8 weeks at a time and taking each season or month into consideration. this site will be incredibly beneficial for me. thanks so much!!

#9 of 9 Old 03-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Heres a book I hope to get:
Wild Days: Creating Discovery Journals by Karen Skidmore Rackliffe
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Days-Crea...6110621&sr=8-1

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page