Composting/recycling experiments - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We did an experiment where we put plastic in one cup of dirt and veggie peelings in another to see what would happen and we're going to make our own paper this week. Any other ideas/experiments/activities that have to do with composting and recycling? What I really want to do is start composting, but those bins are really freaking expensive.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're going to try vermicomposting (composting with worms). It seems simpler than regular composting, and once you get the worms, all you need is a bin, some shredded newspaper, some dirt and food waste. If you really get your worm colony going, it can be a source of income because you can sell both the worms and the compost (aka worm casings).

Here's a link to an instructional video: http://www.recycleminnesota.org/htm/ReWorm.htm

A word of warning about the worms-- my first attempt at getting worms was to go to Walmart and buy Canadian Nightcrawlers from the fishing section. Apparently they are not composting worms. You need either "red wigglers" or European nightcrawlers. You may be able to just dig them out of your yard, but that wasn't working for us. I was able to find a worm farm in my area that sells good composting worms for just under $3/dozen. I think 2 dozen will be a good start for us. We'll keep them in a bin under the sink. I am told it won't smell.

ZM
#3 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

That looks fun! I'm so excited--after I posted this, I decided to try (again) for a composter/bin on freecycle. And someone had one! Whoo hoo!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 10:53 PM

I made my compost bin from salvaged wood from a nearby factory. They gave me the wood for free. All I needed was a portable circular saw and an electric screwdriver. It would be a great learning experience to make your own, possibly not just for the kids . There's measuring math, constructing 3-D shapes, you can draw a plan and then you've got blueprint drawing, construction safety, friction, velocity, and gravity are all tied into power tools, and probably a million more things I can't think of. The there's the actual composting which is a wonderful lesson on soil composition, Ph levels, etc., recycling, plus a nice little moral lesson on how from death comes life, and compost helps you have a wonderful gardening. And gardening has it's own plethora of learning activities. Sorry, I really love finding academia in seemingly everyday things . I'm sure you could find directions on the internet if you do decide to build your own. Also it is very empowering as a woman to accomplish something that would traditionally be a "man thing" like construction. Have fun composting! Jess

Jessie
#5 of 7 Old 03-27-2008, 02:44 AM

We grew this mold garden recently. It was good to see what foods broke down and which ones didn't. I think Zeal will never again ask me for white bread after he saw how long it took for the wonderbread-ish junk break down.
#6 of 7 Old 03-27-2008, 03:05 AM

Yuck, Ginger! That's gross! (but I can't decide what's more gross, the mold or the wonderbread...)
#7 of 7 Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

The mold garden is awesome. We're definitely going to do it as soon as I can find a jar with a TIGHT lid!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page