unschooler-turned-homeschooler-turned-virtual schooler: standardized exams? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-28-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We unschooled for the grade school years, added more structure around 5th/6th grade, and now my two boys are trying an on line charter this year. (My oldest wants to go to a bricks and mortar charter school for the arts, next year, mostly to meet girls...)

The on line charter requires my guys to take the Ohio Acheivement Tests in April, over a period of days, at a nearby hotel. This just doesn't work for me on so many levels -- but it's what we signed up for, so OK. Whatever.

In the past we always did the state's required minimum, a portfolio assessment by a certified teacher (who is also a local homeschooler.) One year we ordered the California tests just for kicks, administered them at home, and they all did great.

But now I am wondering about these Ohio tests.

Are they just intended to rank the school, or do these scores follow my kids as some kind of permanent record? Are they used for placement, considered for college entrance, stuff like that?

I should know this stuff, but I have operated outside of the system thus far and didn't have to know.

(I hate testing.)

Anybody have more info? I am trying to decide how seriously to take this whole thing.

Thanks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page