ACK! Kid Concoctions Disasters! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-04-2008, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's really rainy and gross here and I WILL NOT let my children outside today because all of the mud in my house has been making me CRAZY. So I decided to pull out The Ultimate Book of Kid Concoctions, which I bought a couple of weeks ago for rainy days. We are on our THIRD recipe and I *think* this one finally worked.

The failures were rock salt gem "goop" (it never gooped enough to be shaped into anything?) and jiggley finger paints, made with sugar free jello (it congealed into a blob of what looked like organ meat ).

Our final choice was craft clay with baking soda, corn starch and water. I figured you can't go wrong with that, but GRRR...my kids were itching to do the other things that I'm really annoyed that they didn't work. What good is a book like this if the recipes aren't going to work?

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#2 of 6 Old 04-04-2008, 06:33 PM

OMG that is so funny. We made the dryer lint clay awhile ago from Kid Concoctions 2 and it ended up looking slimy and hairy, just like cat vomit. (Ds thought it was absolutely hilarious, so I guess that made it a success in a disgusting sort of way...)
#3 of 6 Old 04-05-2008, 04:36 PM

We made one of the slime things and it said it would look like it didn't turn out right but to let it sit awhile. well, we gave up on it and came back to it later and it DID turn out right!

We liked the scratch n sniff paint with kool-aid too.

The ocean jello thing never turned out for us though, even after waiting-the gummy sharks always sank-nothing would float!

We like the book overall but I usually save these "experiments" for when Grandma comes since she wants to do things with them

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#4 of 6 Old 04-07-2008, 02:01 PM

We also tried the salt rock goo stuff and it was a failure. But we LOVE some of the other stuff in the book! The Gooey Gunk (pg 10) is our favorite thing to make. It is a thick slime you can cut with cookie cutters or playdough tools, so much fun! A few others we have tried that work are : magic muck, bubble paint, bubbles, and fruity play dough.
#5 of 6 Old 04-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My child does the SOS science and we've been doing some pretty interesting science experiments recently. lol. We are currently doing one with beans. It's fun to do them. He's older and likes the long and drawn out experiments that you watch over a few days time and keep track of what is going on.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#6 of 6 Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 AM

We have this book, and have enjoyed it, but a better one is MaryAnn Kohl's Mudworks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page