Any opinions on A Beka's accredited DVD curriculum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi~ I used the A Beka curriculum form my daughter for K and part of 1st grade. She began having a very difficult time with HS'ing due to life changes and we agreed to put her in the public school nearby.

Don't get me wrong, her school is excellent but my husband and I fear that they are far too intense for young children. They are extremely competitive and she comes home with at least 4 pages of homework everyday. She is only 6 yet I can see the stress that they cause. She still manages to do very well and do all of her work but I just don't think it is right.

I don't want to go back to the regular A Beka curriculum so I am considering the accredited DVD program.

If you have used this I would love to hear anything you have to say about it. I am very conflicted on what to do for her education.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 12:56 PM

my mom used abeka with us growing up.....it's REALLY intense! i feel, like abeka is too much for little ones. waaaay too much seatwork! have you checked out ambleside online http://www.amblesideonline.org/ or sonlight http://www.sonlight.com/ ? what makes you want the dvd program?
Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a free sample of this DVD program on my desk now. I have yet to watch it. I ordered it online. It looked interesting on their site. However, I don't think this is the way we are going to go. I currently use Switched on Schoolhouse with my child and he loves it. It's a software program. He can do it at his own pace and I don't feel obligated to keep up with school work and DVDs by due dates.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 04-07-2008, 10:09 PM

ABeka is quite challenging, but if you've used it before I'm sure you're familiar with the curriculum. You, as the parent, know where your child is academically. I've heard some good things about the ABeka DVD program, especially the elementary level grades. However, I would suggest contacting other homeschoolers who have done this program (especially at your child's grade level) and let you know what to expect. If you don't know of anyone else, you can search for some support through your state by going here:

http://homeschooling.about.com/od/su...te/a/sgusa.htm

If you can contact a homeschooling group, chances are you'll find someone who's participated in the DVD program. You also may want to do some research on other curriculums.

Also, here is a site that offers reviews on lots and lots of curriculums (not sure if this is exhaustive or not though):
http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/rev...m/showall.aspx

Hope that helps you.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 PM

I just watched the demo on their website. It looks really good and I'm now considering it for my kids for next year.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies. THe more I think of it and hear from other people the more I think that I may skip the DVD program and just go back to the regular curriculum that I used before...just be more organized this time. My daughter thrives off of structure and tends to stress out easily if she doesn't know what to expect. I think that also has to do with her ADHD.

I miss HS'ing and so does she so I feel the best thing for our family is to go back to it. I have considered Sonlight but I don't know quite enough about it to make a decision to change over. Any input on Sonlight would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks for the homeschool reviews link!

User Tag List