simplified phonics for 2-3-year olds? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-13-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
has anyone heard of simplified phonics? i saw a commercial yesterday for a program using "simplified phonics" to teach kids as young as 2 to read. dd will be 3 in june, really likes books, recognizes most single digit numbers and some letters, so i was thinking maybe we could try it. since i never heard of it before, i thought i'd ask the learned mamas here first. opinions, anyone?
#2 of 16 Old 04-13-2008, 09:23 PM

Why do you want to teach your 2 year old to read? Is she asking to learn to read?

My gut feeling is that there are so many things for a 2 year old to learn and do (including lots of emotional and social stuff) that I wouldn't rush into any kind of phonics program. When she's really ready to read, she'll let you know.

ZM
#3 of 16 Old 04-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
Why do you want to teach your 2 year old to read? Is she asking to learn to read?

My gut feeling is that there are so many things for a 2 year old to learn and do (including lots of emotional and social stuff) that I wouldn't rush into any kind of phonics program. When she's really ready to read, she'll let you know.

ZM

Well said.

I had a spontaneous early reader (3 y/o) and I think it's too early. My early reader would have been far better playing imaginative games, and exploring than reading.

Enjoy where you are - where she is. Reading will come soon enough.
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#4 of 16 Old 04-14-2008, 01:00 AM

I wouldn't bother with an actual program at that age. My daughter was writing her name by three, her brother's name not much later, know all the letters and could write most of them by 3 1/2. She would ask what things were and how to pronounce and spell and what sounds the letters made and I would answer, but we didn't sit down with an actual curriculum until she was almost 5. She was reading at 4 and now we struggle finding books for her because she reads above her level but so many books on her level are not appropriate for her age (or at least, for her, as every child is different). I would say, don't rush it -- let it come as it comes.
#5 of 16 Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 AM

I would continue to read to your child if you are doing that already. I am of the belief that they will start to show interest on their own or naturally. If they are meant to be extremely early readers then you will recognize it. But I wouldn't try to push it. It would be like pushing them to walk or potty train before they are ready and it just won't work.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#6 of 16 Old 04-14-2008, 09:48 AM

if you really want to introduce your child to beginning stages of reading, i would use a very informal approach and not purchase a program at all. my kids at age 3 really liked (and still do!) the leapfrog dvd's. we bought "the letter factory" first, and followed it up with "the word factory". they also like the leapfrog video games. they each have a leapster and i also have the "word launch" game that hooks up to my tv. these things are semi educational imo, but don't require formal instruction at all. it's just something we have and if they feel like playing it or watching it - they can. hth!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#7 of 16 Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

she points to letters for me to name them if the type is large enough that she can point to it easily. also, she asks me to tell her what signs say. it's fun until it gets to be every sign while we're driving. every. single. sign.

most days we'll do at least 10 books (at her request and she picks the books). i'm too unschooly to push her but i guess i'm being a little impatient. also, i was trying to think how can i make it easier for her if this is what she wants. guess i'll try to kick back a little more.
#8 of 16 Old 04-15-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
Well said.

I had a spontaneous early reader (3 y/o) and I think it's too early. My early reader would have been far better playing imaginative games, and exploring than reading..
Karen

I see no need to teach babies to read.

However, I had a very early reader, and he is one of the most imaginative people I know. He could play with his little animals etc for hours from a young age, and was always a preferred playmate because of his imagination. Another child of mine read early although not as a tot. She is has a rich play life and is quite creative as well.

Not all early readers are non- explorers or lack imagination in their play. Just want to put that out there for people with young readers. Don't worry! You can't stop a wave, anyway.
#9 of 16 Old 04-15-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlyao View Post
she points to letters for me to name them if the type is large enough that she can point to it easily. also, she asks me to tell her what signs say. it's fun until it gets to be every sign while we're driving. every. single. sign.
This describes my oldest son exactly. He began with asking about street and store signs when we were out, then gradually smaller things - the writing on food packages, clothing lables, letter/number codes on the bottom of toys, etc... I did not do anything formal/instructional with him other than read books as usual, and answer all his neverending questions. He had a time when he didn't want to be read to, but sat in his room (kind of hiding) and looking at books on his own. Eventually he taught himself to read (age 4). It seems like your dd is figuring out the patterns of language on her own, IMO that's much more valuable than trying to teach her some other person's perception of the patterns.
#10 of 16 Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 AM

We used games and programs in the same way that we read to dd: it was simply a fun thing that she enjoyed doing with us. So we did Headsprout and Starfall, and some other things as she was interested.

Just like with reading to your child, it was simply exposing her. There wasn't any intent to 'teach to read' or anything else. It was just part of providing her with an enriched environment that kept her entertained and interested.
#11 of 16 Old 04-15-2008, 03:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjOybZh6z7o

Ok the lady doesn't sing with the greatest voice but the technique is appealing to me. I wanted to incorperate some of the great jazz legends into our lesson plan and voila phonics and music in one! I thought it would be great to sing and dance and maybe borrow a trumpet for the kids to try out.
#12 of 16 Old 04-15-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlyao View Post

most days we'll do at least 10 books (at her request and she picks the books). i'm too unschooly to push her but i guess i'm being a little impatient. also, i was trying to think how can i make it easier for her if this is what she wants. guess i'll try to kick back a little more.

Sounds like what you are doing is working.
I would agree w the PP that a rich environment where the learning stays in the realm of play vs program is probably all you need at the moment. Tools that might help are magnetic letters for the fridge, a dvd or two if that is your style, early letter and word games or alphabet puzzles, some early reader books or word books (ie here is the picture and it's name) are nice to have around - and lots of signs to read.

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#13 of 16 Old 04-15-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Not all early readers are non- explorers or lack imagination in their play.
Um - that's not what I said - about my kid or anyone else's.

#14 of 16 Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 PM

I haven't heard of a simplified phonics program. But I can tell you what we do here. My three year old is interested in letters and numbers. She loves to count. Her favorite number today is 16.

When my ds is doing his school work, my dd usually works in her Explode the Code primers (Get Ready for the Code, Get Set for the Code, Go for the Code). I just let her pick a page that looks interesting.

She also loves Starfall.com and the CD from a hand-me-down phonics system. Starfall has an ABC song that she sings often. (A ah alligator, B buh ball, C cuh computer, D duh doll . . . )

I keep our Mother Goose book (the Gyo Fujikawa version) out in her bedroom. While we're playing, I'll open the book to the alphabet page. We sing the ABC song the phonetic way while her dolls dance on the letters.
#15 of 16 Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebethmom View Post

I keep our Mother Goose book (the Gyo Fujikawa version) out in her bedroom. While we're playing, I'll open the book to the alphabet page. We sing the ABC song the phonetic way while her dolls dance on the letters.
There is a Mother Goose book by this person? I am so excited. We love these books.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#16 of 16 Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 PM

My brothers and I grew up thinking that the Gyo Fujikawa Mother Goose was the ONLY version! I think it was the first book that my Mom bought for my son. The alphabet page is my favorite.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page