Waldorf/Waldorf inspired Homeschooling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-01-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read through as much as I can find but am still confused
I am trying to figure out what to use with my son, who will be 6 in September. I have tried OM-K ( nothing there for us) and am now using OM-1 but am finding there really isn't much in the way of math. So in searching for another math program I have found Noble Knights and lots of info on Christoperous and others. I have looked into Enki too.
Can anyone recommend something? I know there are lots of good programs but am finding it so difficult without seeing things firsthand.
My son is very artistic and articulate. He enjoys sketching/drawing and is reading at the third grade level. I only say this because I don't want to push him grade levels ahead- I want appropriate stories and experiences- but he is not at all interested in learning a letter a week or something like that...Thanks
#2 of 14 Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 AM

We are in a Waldorf school and just considering homeschooling ourselves so I don't have the experience but I have looked a lot at the curriculums over the years.

Now are you saying that you want your son to learn more advanced math or no? I'm just thinking that if the answer is yes, it may be hard to find that in any waldorf type of curriculum since the academics are a slower pace....

or, could you use a curriculum you like and supplement it with something else? I know we are looking into live ed because it is pure waldorf, plus it also doesn't have strict guidelines, like do such and such at this time on this day. Maybe if you had something like that with room for adaptation you could use something to supplement.
#3 of 14 Old 05-01-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for being confusing. I do not want more advanced math at all- just SOME math. His math skills are age appropriate- it seems he is advanced just in language/reading. I am at a frustration point with OM in that the math for the entire week will be "continue using tangibles to add ".
I like Waldorf for him because I want him to be more balanced. He is definitely more" in his head" and without guidance would not develop other areas, I think. We have been going to a Waldorf school p/c class all year and I want to continue with Waldorf experiences for him at home. Thanks for responding.
#4 of 14 Old 05-01-2008, 11:44 AM

Math Lessons by Dorothy Harrer is worth checking into, Path of Discovery includes math, too.
#5 of 14 Old 05-01-2008, 01:38 PM

we love noble knights of knowledge. the standard edition at $78 should suffice and you can use any old characters if you want for the knights. they are not necessary....just fun! we have om1 and that is how i feel on the math...pretty lame. the enki movement would be good to look into. go check out some of the links in the holistic eclectic thread as there are tons of free resources online. sonlight has some really great books to read as well and are mutli-cultural. i have the dorothy harrer book as well. i like the noble knights better for the kids and the dorothy harrer book is more for me.
#6 of 14 Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 PM

More math - I sort of mix up a "stew" of various resources and ideas to keep it fresh. Again most of these are inexpensinve so you can add one every semester for a while - they'll mostly last multiple years.

Golden Beetle's Journey to Numeria. It is just awesome, plus inexpensive! These books provide guidance in teaching the math lesson blocks - you'll need Noble Knights or Miquon/Cuisenaire or Math U See for their practice books/manipulatives - but Golden Beetle is just magical for teaching the math main lessons holistically.

You might want to add in a Greg Tang book from the library for extra fun and in about late second or third grade move into the free Mathematical Tale Winds stories online. Around third grade, try adding Golden Beetle's Archios, Spirit of Number and some Lynette Long math activity books.

Hope it helps,

Lucie

still homeschooling holistically with my two boys, 14 & 10
#7 of 14 Old 05-02-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Pomfrey View Post
More math - I sort of mix up a "stew" of various resources and ideas to keep it fresh. Again most of these are inexpensinve so you can add one every semester for a while - they'll mostly last multiple years.

Golden Beetle's Journey to Numeria. It is just awesome, plus inexpensive! These books provide guidance in teaching the math lesson blocks - you'll need Noble Knights or Miquon/Cuisenaire or Math U See for their practice books/manipulatives - but Golden Beetle is just magical for teaching the math main lessons holistically.

You might want to add in a Greg Tang book from the library for extra fun and in about late second or third grade move into the free Mathematical Tale Winds stories online. Around third grade, try adding Golden Beetle's Archios, Spirit of Number and some Lynette Long math activity books.

Hope it helps,

Lucie
Wow - thanks so much for these links. I think the Golden Beetle curriculum is just want I may be looking for.

Anyone want to give opinions or other ideas for me for next year? I've really been struggling what to do - I used Enki kindergarten curriculum last year. I love it for all the reasons of many and am overwhelmed by it for all the same reasons as many others. I hear the first grade is a big undertaking and in reality I just don't think it will work best for us.

Next year, my ds will start a Waldorf homeschooiing enrichment program (two days a week) that includes learning knitting, recorder, eurythmy/gym/movement, and spanish.

This is why I haven't been so keen on a curriculum like Enki, Oak Meadow or Live Ed. Its just too much overlap. And add to that I have a gazillion craft books and need no more there.

So maybe I've answered my own question here because I think the Golden Beetle combined with Noble Knights of Knowledge is going to really work for us. Perhaps I might buy Enki's first grade fairy and folk tales/nature stories. I really like having a resource of "grab and read" stories available.

Although - one thing that I never thought I would be doing is planning out our whole curriculum. So now I guess I need to start learning about what steps to take when putting together your own curriculum.... Any references/links?
#8 of 14 Old 05-24-2008, 12:14 PM

Bumping this, I'm interested also.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#9 of 14 Old 05-25-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
we love noble knights of knowledge. the standard edition at $78 should suffice and you can use any old characters if you want for the knights. they are not necessary....just fun! we have om1 and that is how i feel on the math...pretty lame. the enki movement would be good to look into. go check out some of the links in the holistic eclectic thread as there are tons of free resources online. sonlight has some really great books to read as well and are mutli-cultural. i have the dorothy harrer book as well. i like the noble knights better for the kids and the dorothy harrer book is more for me.
lakesuperiomom: You are quite a curriculum collector! I responded to your other post on a little garden flower. Anyways... We've been using Enki (Enki grade 2 right now) and I would like to try / start putting together some of the blocks for third grade (Jan 2009 for us, but I thought I can get some reading in during the summer and maybe even try to put something together for the remainder of 2nd grade). The noble knights of knowledge looks like a lot of fun and I think dd#1 will have fun with it. But having gone through Enki grade 1 and most of grade 2 math, would adding in the noble knights stuff be confusing? How are you doing this?

I'm going to order POD grade 3, golden beetles grade 3 math stuff, Enki,???
Suggestions?
#10 of 14 Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 AM

How is Enki for Maths?
#11 of 14 Old 05-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma View Post
lakesuperiomom: You are quite a curriculum collector! I responded to your other post on a little garden flower. Anyways... We've been using Enki (Enki grade 2 right now) and I would like to try / start putting together some of the blocks for third grade (Jan 2009 for us, but I thought I can get some reading in during the summer and maybe even try to put something together for the remainder of 2nd grade). The noble knights of knowledge looks like a lot of fun and I think dd#1 will have fun with it. But having gone through Enki grade 1 and most of grade 2 math, would adding in the noble knights stuff be confusing? How are you doing this?

I'm going to order POD grade 3, golden beetles grade 3 math stuff, Enki,???
Suggestions?
uh please don't let people know i am a curriculum junkie! lol noble knights is for introducing a concept and then practice. it could work with any curric. i'd approach it more as a a game than school. have you seen the gnomes and gnumbers unit from serendipity's blog? http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity...ers-a-mat.html this is great fun!
#12 of 14 Old 05-26-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
uh please don't let people know i am a curriculum junkie! lol noble knights is for introducing a concept and then practice. it could work with any curric. i'd approach it more as a a game than school. have you seen the gnomes and gnumbers unit from serendipity's blog? http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity...ers-a-mat.html this is great fun!
I've only had a minute to glance through her blog, but absolutely amazing... Does anyone know of other blogs/websites that talks about designing your own curriculum holistically? The process, what kind of reference material they use to get started...
#13 of 14 Old 05-27-2008, 02:44 AM

We have OM-K/1 also and I've been pretty disappointed by the math.

I love the living math site: http://www.livingmath.net/ There is so much there that it took me several visits to really digest it all. Our approach to math is to read some of the recommended books on the site and play games that help build the spatial/logical thinking skills. We also come up with our own "number riddles/stories" I don't see any reason to get caught up in computations or even +/-/*/etc.

DD really likes the stuff we make up. We have a main lesson book for number stuff. Last week we made up a story about a little gnome that liked to have picnics and tea parties. She made a list of all the stuffed animals she wanted to invite to a picnic and the food she'd need to bring and how many of each thing (ie 1 pillow for each guest, but a pitcher of lemonade will serve 8 so only 1 pitcher, etc.) Then we drew a picture of the picnic with the correct amounts of everything.

This is more work on my part than I intended, but DD loved it and I just haven't found any pre-made stuff that I like.

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#14 of 14 Old 05-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmat View Post
How is Enki for Maths?
http://www.enkieducation.org/html/ho...ducation_1.htm scroll down to read the mathematics section.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page