reading/writing - Mothering Forums
Learning at Home and Beyond > reading/writing
treemom2's Avatar treemom2 10:04 AM 05-04-2008
DD has attended Japanese schools for the last three years. We read at home about 1/2 hour a day in English. We also did the Teach your Child to read in 100 easy lessons, but stopped around lesson 76 when she just didn't want to do it anymore. She is completely fluent in reading/writing/speaking Japanese (at her grade/age level), however she is not yet reading or writing very much in English. She does read books when I sit with her for extended periods of time, but doesn't seem to enjoy it. . .but she does love it when I read to her (which I also enjoy doing). She is not really writing at all and has forgotten a lot of the letters she learned in the Teach your child lessons. So, what do you all think? I do want to keep up on English. I don't really care if she is on "grade-level", but I would like her to learn to read and write someday. Is there a program you can recommend that she might enjoy? We tried starfalls but she never really liked that (however my DS loves it). She can read all the Bob beginner books (the first ones that are red), but won't even attempt a Dr Seuss book or another easy reader (which seems long). Should I push it or should I just wait until later? Do you know something to help her? Oh, we also tried to have letter writing day at home, for her to write letters to family back in the states. . .well, it turned into drawing pictures for family day instead. . .help!

Up