Brave Writer / The Writer's Jungle -- anyone tried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-08-2008, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw this recommended in the Secular Homeschool magazine and have looked at their site. I'm curious if anyone here has used it and what they thought?

http://www.bravewriter.com/index.html
#2 of 3 Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 AM

Sheesh, don't you wish the search function was working better? I sure do, since I paged back through to Sept. '06, since I know we've discussed this before. And all I found was a discussion about some of the things like the Arrow.

I have Writer's Jungle, the old version plus the updated preface. It's very well written, and inspiring. Having said that, I'll admit that I've never read the entire thing:

I get the free emails. Those are pretty nice -- reminders to do various things. Plus they're free, so very little downside.

We got the Arrow for a year. It was fun -- I think there is an example online, perhaps in the forums. You can see what it's like there. Every month it has a book to read, which got us to reading new and different books. It has copywork/dictation, which we wouldn't do without having this all spelled out for us once a week. It has some general discussion about the selection -- things to look for and discuss. And then it has some other exercises, like discussion on keeping a nature journal for a month, or a discussion on onomatopoeia (dd really liked that one).

We also tried Boomerang for a year. We started off with Boomerang Complete, where the student has access to the forum. Over time dd decided that using the forum for book discussion was really a chore -- she hated participating (I can't believe she's related to me -- I spend way too much time on Internet forums). We dropped the Complete subscription and were going to pick it back up as only getting the issues, but the next book was one she didn't want to read, so we just totally dropped the ball on that. Overall, though, the Boomerang did a good job of giving us passages for dictation, discussing some of the elements of the book, pointing out some grammar.

Neither Arrow or Boomerang gave us book discussions along the line of, say, Deconstructing Penguins, which gets into a lot of protagonist. vs. antagonist, and the search for meaning. They're much lighter than that. Which is okay, depending on what you're after. I could use help on any lit discussion, as that simply is not my thing in life.

We haven't taken any of the online classes -- dd has no interest.
#3 of 3 Old 05-08-2008, 04:52 PM

I have a copy of the The Writer's Jungle and am very pleased with it. It came in particularly handy when I first started homeschooling and was a bit nervous about tackling writing and literature discussions with the kids. I wanted it to be an enjoyable process for my children, and feel using the Writer's Jungle definitely helped me relax. When there is a book I think my children will enjoy working on, I have subscribed to the Arrow or Boomerang. Like Queen Gwen wrote, it is lighter discussion, but we have still found it worthwhile - and enjoyable.

Queen Gwen, Deconstructing Penguins looks like a good read.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page