I hate baking/cooking - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 05-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't like being a mom to babies. I admit that. I am NOT a good baby mom. It didn't come naturally to me and I have 3 kids. Some moms are such perfect baby moms, but I stunk at it. But I got through it the best I could that first 6-12 months. I'm a much better mom now for it. We all have our "things". I bet in a few years you could care less about the mess and being begging your kids to cook with you. Just like I'll be wishing my kids would hurry up and have me some grandkids.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#32 of 48 Old 05-10-2008, 04:13 PM

I hope so. I miss two. I love two year olds and have never understood that whole terrible twos thing people complain about.

for intuitive readings click here :
#33 of 48 Old 05-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shy2post View Post
My personal testimony as to hating cooking (dishwashing, laundry, etc.) with my kids:

Maybe I can blame it on being an only child, A-type, personality. I like things to just be "done" and as fast as possible. It has taken me a great deal of time to just relax and enjoy the process. Which, honestly, I have to FORCE myself to do. Ultimately, I don't really enjoy cooking withOUT the kids (really, for me it is a means to an end), so I'm sure that contributes to it as well...

anyway, just thought I would comisserate.
I feel the same, exact way. I tried to bake cookies with the kids at christmas time and spent the entire time freaking out. My DH pointed out that I needed to chill out, b/c I was scaring the kids, but being the type A personality I am, it drives me bonkers when my kids paw everything up and spill flour EVERYWHERE, b/c that means that *I* get to clean it. They don't listen, when I tell them not to touch something, they will stick their entire hand into it. I ended up having my DH take over, since it seems like he is generally the, "fun" one and I am the "un-fun" one when it comes to these kinds of things. I have friends who love cooking with their kids, but unfortunately that's just not me, and I feel kind of guilty about it. When it's time for me to cook, I shoo everyone out of the kitchen, b/c I need my space and I want to do things as quickly as possible. I think I adopted my attitude from my mom, who is a wonderful cook, but cooking with her was never fun, b/c I didn't like being stuck in a kitchen (she would force me to help her in the kitchen while my brothers didn't have to help). For me, I cook, b/c I have to, and it's not b/c I'm not good at it, I'm actually a decent cook, I just don't think it's relaxing and I hate that cooking means that there will be a mess that needs to be cleaned up. I might enjoy it more if I had my own personal dishwasher person! If I was filthy rich, the first person I would hire, would be a personal chef. I love to eat, but just don't enjoy cooking that much. My DH loves to cook, but he leaves a disaster after he cooks, so when he cooks, all that means is that I have to pick up after his huge mess.
#34 of 48 Old 05-10-2008, 05:42 PM

I'm very type A, but I love to cook. I just hate it when someone else is in the way, messing up my system.

I have no patience whatsoever. Plus my kids are at a bickering stage where they are constantly trying to one-up each other and I just can't stand having both of them in the same room right now. I'm hating the tweens. I remember cooking with my ds when he was a toddler and it was fun, so I really think it's this whole tweens and 2 of them fighting for attention thing that is killing it for me.

#35 of 48 Old 05-10-2008, 09:24 PM

I hate to cook I hate to cook I hate to cook I hate to cook.

I always have.

I do however enjoy eating homemade meals. Just not made by me.

I guess the exception for me would be cooking/ baking with my son. It makes it seem worthwhile. Before we had DS, Dh and I would do dinner by what carry-out menu was at the top of the junk drawer. With group meals we were the ones asked to bring the bread and wine.

But seeing all through DS's eyes (mess and everything) makes the effort worthwhile. Especially since it keeps those mischievous little hands busy.

My DS also has a yearning for a garden. We live on a boat... and I don't have a gardening bone in my body anyhow. I gave in and bought a few sunflower seeds and a bucket and the little buggers are actually growing right in our cockpit!

It's funny because it seems to be part of the whole earth mama identity to be a goddess in the kitchen whipping up whole nutritious raw vegan meals. If I ever win the lottery I am hiring a chef!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#36 of 48 Old 05-11-2008, 09:20 AM

I hate cooking with kids when I have to do all the work. I love cooking with kids when we're using a picture based cookbook, like Molly Katzen's or the three step montessori cards. Those are fun. All I have to do is measure it out before hand and put it into bowls, they follow the pictures to dump and mix.

Works out well for everyone. But the whole me-lead-you-wait-for-instructions method? I'd rather poke my eyes out.
#37 of 48 Old 05-11-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
But the whole me-lead-you-wait-for-instructions method? I'd rather poke my eyes out.

Just curious ~ does anyone else have any "kid-friendly, sanity preserving" cookbooks to recommend? I'd like to see what my library has to offer. This sounds like a road to follow!

BTW ~ HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!
#38 of 48 Old 05-11-2008, 12:34 PM

I recommend Nigella Lawson's Lunchbox treats in her Nigella Express cookbook. You melt some butter and chocolate with some malted syrup and dump it on some mixed cereals. The kids feel like they're cooking, but you feel like you're mixing. And also, they mostly appeal to kids rather than adults, so I'm not going to pig out on them.

Other things that are not-quite cooking - paninis, salads, salsa, guacamole. Really, really simple muffins and cookie dough. Pancakes.

I think it's in the "Liberated Parent, Liberated Child" book that the authors say there's no rule parents have to do things they don't love. I love to cook with my kids, but I do not like playing fantasy games. I just cannot pretend to be a baby or a princess or a duck or whatever. I try to hire babysitters who can do that kind of stuff (and pay them extra for it!). Anyway, I totally recommend that book (from the people who wrote the How to Talk so Kids will Listen etc. books).
#39 of 48 Old 05-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is one thing I actually like doing. Laundry drives me crazy but baking is nice. I like thinking that yrs down the road they will have fond memories of baking with their mom. It just seems so natural and beautiful. I measure the ingredients and they help mix. It gets a bit messy but I expect it to. If you check out my blog you will see us making our first bread yesterday. Mmmm.
#40 of 48 Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hate cooking. adding kids to the mix (usually fighting over who gets to do what and when is my turn) just add to the stress and mess.

I often worry that my homeschooling license will be revoked.

Oh what they do get to help with is chopping. I have a pampered chef chopper and they can take it to the dining room and chop their little hearts out. they get to help but they are not underfoot either.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#41 of 48 Old 05-11-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama View Post
It just seems so natural and beautiful.

It is *not* natural and beautiful for me. That's why I started the thread. So others know that it is not natural and beautiful for all moms.
#42 of 48 Old 05-11-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
Works out well for everyone. But the whole me-lead-you-wait-for-instructions method? I'd rather poke my eyes out.
laughup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
adding kids to the mix (usually fighting over who gets to do what and when is my turn) just add to the stress and mess.
It really isn't just my kids?

I feel so much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlmom View Post
I recommend Nigella Lawson's Lunchbox treats in her Nigella Express cookbook.

Other things that are not-quite cooking - paninis, salads, salsa, guacamole. Really, really simple muffins and cookie dough. Pancakes.
So far I haven't found one that I like. Rachel Ray's book doesn't have anything we'll eat. The Betty Crocker books are the same. The Pillsbury ones are all based on pre-fab crap. We've actually made more things out of my regular cookbooks when they've seen a photo and asked can we make this? I'm not buying any more that are specifically for kids because when I can gear up to do it, I want to teach them to make real food.

#43 of 48 Old 05-11-2008, 05:11 PM

My dd1 has and likes Look and Cook: A Cookbook for Children by Tina Davis. It's all "real" cooking so she needs me by but she's learning some skills from it.
#44 of 48 Old 05-11-2008, 07:28 PM

I love to cook and bake. Most of the time the when I ask the boys if they want to help me I just get a "no, but don't forget to tell us when it's done".

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#45 of 48 Old 05-11-2008, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
LOL! Well, if it encourages you, here's my story:

My mother not only hates cooking with children, she hates cooking, period. She just can't stand it. Whereas I've been begging to bake since about the age of eight. After the first few times, Mum wouldn't help me. She liked to eat what I baked, though, so she let me cook fairly often. Then when I was 12, I started homeschooling and every morning we'd have this conversation:

Me: Mum, can I bake something?
She: Only if you make dinner.

Which was great, because this way I learned to cook actual food. Left to myself, I would only ever have made three-layer fudgy, icingy, chocolatey slices (which is grand and all, but one should branch out).

Nine years later, I may have a slightly lopsided education, but hoo boy, can I cook! And just think, if Mum had enjoyed it I wouldn't have half the cooking skills I do now.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#46 of 48 Old 05-12-2008, 02:21 PM

Smokering, that is exactly how/why I learned to cook. I would have starved to death otherwise. We ate McDonalds and Dominos during the week, and went to restaurants on the weekends. So cooking from scratch in my own kitchen and not having to go out still seems like the height of luxury, even in my 30s.
#47 of 48 Old 05-12-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

DS asked to cook again today. So this morning he made "Hasty Pudding" (which is just cornmeal mush) from the Little House cookbook. He ate some but said it was too salty. So next time he told me he would not put salt in it.

Now we are making carmel popcorn. Not exactly healthy fare but yummy.

I've told him no more for today!
#48 of 48 Old 05-12-2008, 04:47 PM

My favorite cookbook for ds was the Kids Can Press Jumbo Cookbook (ds did go through brief phases of wanting to cook, just never, ever, ever with me )

I totally second other posters that there is no one thing that you have to do to be a good parent, and all moms will be good at some parts of mothering and struggle with other parts. I'm another toddler lover, I still don't understand the whole terrible twos thing, and I really miss having a toddler. My best friend hated the whole parenting a little one thing and couldn't wait till her daughter was a teenager. She's enjoying (and understands) the whole teen thing way better than I am. I keep telling ds "grow down!"

The thing I could never stand doing with ds were all those stupid science experiments. Ds luuuuuuved them, wanted to do science experiments all the time. I hated searching the house for all the little bits and pieces we needed (easily available household items my ass!! who keeps alum around the house "just in case"???), then all the time spent on doing the stupid experiment to get a result (hopefully) that you already knew would happen! Arrggh, that's my parent hell.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page