I hate baking/cooking - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate hate hate baking and cooking with my kids. They of course love it.

You see commercials of moms baking with their kids on TV and the mom is all smiles and joy. Not me.

Not all moms enjoy baking with their children. There, I said it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 02:49 PM

Okay, therapy time. What do you hate about it?
#3 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 02:51 PM

If that is all you have to confess you are doing great!

#4 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 02:54 PM

My personal testimony as to hating cooking (dishwashing, laundry, etc.) with my kids:

Maybe I can blame it on being an only child, A-type, personality. I like things to just be "done" and as fast as possible. It has taken me a great deal of time to just relax and enjoy the process. Which, honestly, I have to FORCE myself to do. Ultimately, I don't really enjoy cooking withOUT the kids (really, for me it is a means to an end), so I'm sure that contributes to it as well...

anyway, just thought I would comisserate.
#5 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I hate it, too, and so did my mom.

Ds will turn the flour into a fortress, take so long to be willing to actually mix the flour with the liquid (which he has poured into moats), that the liquid gets absorbed into the flour and hardens. It's best, imo, to let the kids cook but have it be their own project that you stay out of if you can handle the potential for waste and mess. I always get invested in the results if I'm cooking and ds is "helping". And I want to get it done in a timely fashion. But, fortunately, ds' interest in helping is usually short lived... if he doesn't see a bowl of flour.

My mom's rule was we could cook, other than at dinner time when she was, and we had to clean up after ourselves. She would be available to answer questions.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#6 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
Okay, therapy time. What do you hate about it?
See below....that's part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shy2post View Post
My personal testimony as to hating cooking (dishwashing, laundry, etc.) with my kids:

It has taken me a great deal of time to just relax and enjoy the process. Which, honestly, I have to FORCE myself to do. Ultimately, I don't really enjoy cooking withOUT the kids (really, for me it is a means to an end), so I'm sure that contributes to it as well...

I don't like the mess. It takes so long.

It's weird. I don't mind a mess from paint, playdough, paper, mud, etc but food mess from baking...ugh.

I bite the bullet and bake with my kids. I take deep breaths....slowly. I survive. I'm getting better....but I still don't like it!

We made bread today. From Laura Ingalls cookbook. Bread that takes all day and counter space. Bread that makes a mess...not the neat-no-mess-bread-machine bread. My kitchen is a mess, I'm tired, and I still have to cook dinner, and make a potluck dish for my meeting tomorrow...which starts at 7:30am and goes all day. My kids are happy and proud of their bread. I should post a pic....

No, my kids won't let me take the bread to the potluck tomorrow. I asked.
#7 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Okay... and on the line of TV glorifying cooking with kids:

I absolutely DESPISE the commercials for Crispy Rice Treats. Those things are horrible, you make huge amounts of incredibly difficult to clean pots, bowls, & pans. The kids are covered head to toe in *sticky*. THEN on top of everything else, they are always gone in like a day...
#8 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
My kitchen is a mess, I'm tired, and I still have to cook dinner, and make a potluck dish for my meeting tomorrow...which starts at 7:30am and goes all day. My kids are happy and proud of their bread. I should post a pic....

No, my kids won't let me take the bread to the potluck tomorrow. I asked.
This is so funny. It makes me think about a friend who has never ever had any desire whatsoever to have any kind of garden - not even a tomato plant. It's absolutely incomprehensible to me. For that matter, come to think of it, she won't even eat tomatoes - also incomprehensible to me - so maybe I should have said "not even a melon." Heck, I have friends who don't like chocolate. So I guess it's not that all that strange not to enjoy baking with children... - Lillian
#9 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:

You see commercials of moms baking with their kids on TV and the mom is all smiles and joy. Not me.

Yup, same here! The good news is that soon they will be able to cook on their own and you will get to stay out of it and have things made for you. Trust me, it's worth it
#10 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3momkmb View Post
The good news is that soon they will be able to cook on their own and you will get to stay out of it and have things made for you. Trust me, it's worth it
Y'know, I was thinking the same thing ! I think you should make the most of all this and show them how to make luscious vegetable soups and stews and chilis and spaghetti sauce and salads and...and.. Gee, this could come in awfully handy. - Lillian
#11 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the bread.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/9487228@N02/?saved=1

Lillian, funny you should mention a garden. DS has been begging me for a garden. Sigh. I suppose I should start a garden with him.
#12 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Lillian, funny you should mention a garden. DS has been begging me for a garden. Sigh. I suppose I should start a garden with him.
It's hard being a parent.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#13 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Here are some pics of the bread.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/9487228@N02/?saved=1

Figures. I had ten 12' beds - four kinds of berries, sunflowers, a bizillion kinds of tomatoes - you name it, I had it. And my son had absolutely no interest.

Beautiful loaf of bread, by the way. Lillian
#14 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 07:18 PM

OP, I'm with you. I have one child who is like Pigpen from the Charlie Brown cartoons, which makes me nuts. Flour everywhere!

The other is oppositional and argues about everything, which makes it a challenge to teach anything or get through a single recipe where we actually follow the directions.

I know they need to learn, but I'd like to pay someone else to teach them. :

3 guesses why I don't homeschool.

for intuitive readings click here :
#15 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 07:27 PM

I'm so right there with you. In fact, I posted this same exact thread on another HSing board where there's a huge emphasis on teaching kids home-oriented things, and all but maybe three of the responders said the exact same thing. However, I do feel it's important enough for me to work through--partly because my mom never taught me to cook (for the same reasons, I'm sure!) and I had to learn every single thing from scratch when I hit college age (and I'm still learning), and partly because they are both so desperate to cook with me. So I've gotten a lot better about setting rules, and explaining that if they don't follow the rules, they will be ousted from the kitchen. For example, the two-year-old may pour the flour in the bowl, but she may not bury the fork in the flour and search for it like buried treasure when I turn my back to check the recipe.

It gets a lot easier as they get older--or at least, for me it did. My five-year-old (formerly known as "the spiller") has become much more careful and thoughtful. Often, I'll put on a show for the little one and only cook with the big one. When the little one spots us, she comes running in. I let her do one thing and send her back out.

That's the extent of it. I figure I have another 15 or so years to share this knowledge!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#16 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 PM

shh, don't tell but i hated cooking with my daycare kids but I love cooking with my 3yr old. my 3 yr old isn't messy and loves watching as much as doing, so easy peasy.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#17 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 07:48 PM

I enjoy cooking with ONE of my kids at a time, when there is no hurry and it's quiet...but I can't- can't- can't STAND trying to cook with them both at the same time: They won't listen, they bounce off each other and are all over the place, they fight for the spot in front of mom...it's just too much

I don't mind the mess so much but it's hard for me to turn my mind off of overdrive...you know, to just. get. this. done! I have to make sure I slow down and there's nothing else that desperately needs to be done. Mostly I try to cook with one kid while the other is fully occupied elsewhere so I can enjoy it...otherwise I'm likely to avoid it altogether.
#18 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 07:55 PM

I'm still struggling. I've got one with RAD and everything is a power struggle.

Maybe in a few months I'll have picked up some better strategies for dealing with this. If I had to work a paying job with someone like her for 40 hours a week, I'd quit, honest to God.

But I have to teach her. I grew up with kids who even today have no clue how to cook, and it just blows my mind. You can't send them out into the world without those basic skills, yk? We managed to make brownies the other night and we both survived, so we're making some progress.

But I can't have them both in the kitchen at the same time.

#19 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 PM

I love cooking and I make myself enjoy cooking with my kids even though it is really annoying.

Also, I wanted to point out that the commercials that show happy, smiling moms and children cooking together are usually for things like mini-bagel pizza's and pre mixed, pre cut cookies!
#20 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Leah View Post
I love cooking and I make myself enjoy cooking with my kids even though it is really annoying.

Also, I wanted to point out that the commercials that show happy, smiling moms and children cooking together are usually for things like mini-bagel pizza's and pre mixed, pre cut cookies!
Yeah. Good point. None of that pesky measuring and mixing going on to mess up the kitchen.

#21 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess ConsuelaB View Post
I enjoy cooking with ONE of my kids at a time, when there is no hurry and it's quiet...but I can't- can't- can't STAND trying to cook with them both at the same time: They won't listen, they bounce off each other and are all over the place, they fight for the spot in front of mom...it's just too much
A thought - from personal 20/20 hindsight. Sometime you might just try playing a game of pretending you've fast-forwarded 20 years into the future to a time when neither of them would think to fight for a spot in front of mom, and you're looking back on the scene in front of you. Which won't necessarily make it fun, but might at least make if feel more precious on some level.

Lillian, leaving this weekend to get in a visit with my son on Mother's Day evening on my way past the resort where he's working for the summer in between college semesters.

#22 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 08:48 PM

i love baking ....if i'm in the mood. my kids are getting old enough to do the grunt of the work, but they still need my supervision. to make it easier on me - i have a cd player in the kitchen and we jam out to music while we cook. it's not so bad. we have fun! what about an easybake oven as an alternative for them? i HATE ours - you can have it for free

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#23 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

A thought - from personal 20/20 hindsight. Sometime you might just try playing a game of pretending you've fast-forwarded 20 years into the future to a time when neither of them would think to fight for a spot in front of mom, and you're looking back on the scene in front of you. Which won't necessarily make it fun, but might at least make if feel more precious on some level.

Lillian, leaving this weekend to get in a visit with my son on Mother's Day evening on my way past the resort where he's working for the summer in between college semesters.

Oh yes I do this too and it gets me through it.... but I still want to run and hide :
#24 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:

I hear ya Kleine, I bake about once a week with the boys, and it's pure torture for me They BOTH want to do everything, no taking turns measuring something or stirring it is NOT enough mum. I use the biggest mixing bowl ON the planet, and somehow they still miss it with half of whatever they are measuring & pouring. Once it's in the oven they happily go out & play, only to stick their faces in the kitchen door every 14seconds to ask if it's done yet.. and when it's done they want to eat it NOW.. no matter that it will burn their faces off!

But... I suck it up & try not to be reduced to a yelling grumpy bum.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#25 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

Figures. I had ten 12' beds - four kinds of berries, sunflowers, a bizillion kinds of tomatoes - you name it, I had it. And my son had absolutely no interest.

Beautiful loaf of bread, by the way. Lillian
I can send my ds to your house to putter in your garden a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
If I had to work a paying job with someone like her for 40 hours a week, I'd quit, honest to God.
:

I knew I couldn't be the only one who doesn't feel like June Cleaver in the kitchen with the kiddos. Did she bake *with* the kids?
#26 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 PM

I made myself take some time teaching the oldest to bake and cook because I hate, loathe and despise doing either AT ALL ( not just with the kids) He's taught his sister to make cookies and fried eggs so far. I think I need to get on the full meal cooking thing with them so THEY can cook (Easy- do you want beans and rice, or would you rather cook?).
Lovely bread, it's making me hungry!
#27 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 10:13 PM

I like to cook but I don't always enjoy doing it with dd. It is an important life skill though so I include her.

It does slow things down and things aren't done quite the way I would do them. I remember growing up not being able to cook with my sister without fighting. I think I just work better alone.

I'm going to make brownies with dd tonight to take to her grandmothers for Mother's Day.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#28 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:

:

I knew I couldn't be the only one who doesn't feel like June Cleaver in the kitchen with the kiddos. Did she bake *with* the kids?
Of course not. Her kitchen was fake.

I've got to sit down and make a list of things to start teaching them and just go through them one at a time if it kills me. I wish I were one of those patient, mellow moms. :

Gee, is it awful if I have a glass of wine before cooking lessons begin? : A really big one?

#29 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 10:30 PM

You know what? I'm totally the June Cleaver wanna-be, love to be in the kitchen, would love to spend hours baking and experimenting with my ds.

And he HATES it all, always has. He's just like the OP, all he wants is the food to be done and get outta there Cooking and baking are the most boring, dreaded things on earth for him. Maybe we should trade kids for a while
#30 of 48 Old 05-09-2008, 10:44 PM

Could be. It's so much easier to just do it myself. It's a major flaw of mine, and I recognize it, but it's so much easier to work with a kid who actually thinks you know what you're doing.

My friend told me I should just let her put a tablespoon of salt in something and see what happens. Why can't I just step back and do that?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page