Homeschooling while working or college full time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I'm not the only one out there.

Just a brief background I have been homeschooling my girls for 5 years now. My oldest is 10 and my youngest is 6. I have been able to homeschool through full time nursing school with the help of my mother. Now my mother is too sick to really help me out while I transition to full time work. She was a great help all those years

I've graduated from college (BSN in nursing) and will be required to work days (7a-7p) following my preceptors schedule for a couple months. During the summer my girls will be going over to my moms because they can play outside most of the day with their friends who are all out of school....so they will have fun. But come back to school time in Aug, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I should be transitioning to working nights (7p-7a) I'm basically just worried about when I will sleep---really that is my only concern, but I DO have to get some sleep. No, I have no one else to watch them.

I think I want to look into some kind of cyber school? The computer really keeps them busy. I have no idea what the cyber schools are...what do you all use?

Marilyn

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Your 10 yr old might benefit from an internet program but 6 yrs old is too young IMO. You can also use software programs for homeschool. We use Switched on Schoolhouse for a couple of subjects with our oldest.

Is it possible for you to find another H/S family in your area that you would trust to watch your children for a good portion of the day or a few days a week? I know how tough it can be as I go to college right now part-time and I will be H/S 3 kids in the fall and I work from home. My husband also works from home running his own business. Things get hectic at times.

There is also the option of putting them in school just for a year or two until you get a steady schedule going on a job and are more secure. I have put mine in school and taken them back out a couple of times. That's always a possibility and you can go back to H/S'ing at any time.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 05-13-2008, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post

There is also the option of putting them in school just for a year or two until you get a steady schedule going on a job and are more secure. I have put mine in school and taken them back out a couple of times. That's always a possibility and you can go back to H/S'ing at any time.
That is what we are considering right now for next year. My oldest isn't happy about it but I know they would both do well. It would just make MY life a lot easier.

How did your kids transition going back and forth?

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)

User Tag List