Need help finding a literary agent for dd13? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2008, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was hoping someone here would know My dd13 (homeschooled) wants to publish a book she is writing. She is truly talented (yes I'm biased).

How does one go about finding a literary agent for a child/teen? Any suggestions?

Also does anyone have any websites for teen writers? Thanks

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 10:55 AM

I also started seeking publication of my writing at age 12 and simply sent stories around to magazines to get my foot in the door. I wrote children's stories, but I sent them as an adult writer and was published (and paid--what a thrill) at age 13. I followed the advice of books such as The Writer's Market and some books on writing for children and teens by Jane Fitz-Randolph (they are now probably somewhat anitquated). TWM should give some advice on finding an agent. I did not seek out an agent, but I was not trying to sell a book. I imagine that if your DD does not tell potential agents or publishers that she is a child, they will be less likely to dismiss her immediately, but things could be different these days.

If, on the other hand, you want to draw attention to her age at the outset, there is a contest every year for children who write and illustrate a book (called something like the young writers and illustrators contest), and the winning book is published. I don't have a link to the contest website, but here is one of the books:
http://www.amazon.com/Who-Owns-Sun-S...0942234&sr=1-1

On an interesting note, Ally Sheedy published a book with a friend (who did the illustrations) at about age 13--I think her mother was a literary agent in NYC, or had some such connection--and she later went on to become an actress. The book is about Queen Elizabeth I and is called She Was Nice to Mice. Also, I believe the incredibly successful homeschooled author Christopher Paolini, published as a teen, first printed and sold his book through his parent's own home publishing company. After it was a success, a major book publisher picked it up. Here is a link to an early HEM article about Paolini's experience:

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/192/mapaolini.html

Hope that helps!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:22 AM

Should have asked--did you Xpost this to the MDC writing forum?
Old 05-17-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the help I havent xposted but that's a great idea...thanks!

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Do you know any writers? They might be willing to introduce your dd to their agent. When my dd was 11 I sent something she wrote to a writer/editor friend of mine asking her opinion whether it was pretty good or something exceptional. She wrote back in all seriousness asking if she could introduce my dd to her agent in NY. The agent was very interested but my dd clammed right up, gun shy after experiencing the whirlwind she'd stirred up and decided not to pursue writing seriously at that time. Anyway, just a thought, if you happen to know anyone 'in the business'.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups

User Tag List