Pledge of Allegiance - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2008, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No. We love our country but don't see a need to recite anything daily.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 AM

i have great respect for this country and the soldiers that have given their lives for us. i don't look at the pledge or star spangled banner as a government thing,but a soldier thing.....i quess that was how i was raised. to me it is more symbolic. i don't pile the kids and the dog around the flag and say the pledge.....i'm not sure why we should....it seems a little odd. i wonder what the dog would think a little. my 4 yr old does walk around belting out the star spangled banner at times and i have no idea where he has learned that! lol probably my mil trying to save my kids from not learning anything! LOL
Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 PM

Former military raising a mil.brat here.......

Absolutely NOT. No way.

I believe that a pledge should be an oath taken with the mind and spirit, with the intent to put into form the words that are being spoken.

Children are unable to comprehend fully the impact of a pledge and should not be forced to say one, nor encouraged to say one daily. If it truly is a pledge, then once suffices - we do not need to reaffirm our devotion every 24 hours. If such a thing is so important, than it should be the adults who are taking an oath each morning - fully competent human beings who understand what they are saying, not children who are encouraged to become parrots.

I also am uncomfortable with the many changes the pledge has gone through, even over the protests of the author. It doesn't seem to make sense to take a personal writing and butcher it.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:39 PM

I, too, see the pledge as somethings towards the country... not government and in recognition of our soldiers. Having been raised with a dad who was in Vietnam, Grandfather in WWII, Great Great Grandfather in WWI and my uncle about 4-5 generations back from the Civil War and so on and so on, I was raised to know the pledge as a tradition and then learned the meaning of it. DH's dad is retired navy, uncle was navy, grandfather is retired navy seal.. Our family has much respect for our military and love our country. We want our children to understand this. We also have our children learn Bible memory verses. We dont force anything though, if they dont want to do anything, we dont make them
Old 05-27-2008, 01:06 PM

I wouldn't even consider making my kids "pledge" something that they don't understand. The very thought creeps me out.

I choose not to pledge my allegiance to this (or any) country because to me that feels a lot like saying "My country, right or wrong." I will not ally myself with this country or government when it is doing something I am opposed to.

dm
Old 05-27-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post

I believe that a pledge should be an oath taken with the mind and spirit, with the intent to put into form the words that are being spoken.

Children are unable to comprehend fully the impact of a pledge and should not be forced to say one, nor encouraged to say one daily. If it truly is a pledge, then once suffices - we do not need to reaffirm our devotion every 24 hours. If such a thing is so important, than it should be the adults who are taking an oath each morning - fully competent human beings who understand what they are saying, not children who are encouraged to become parrots.

I also am uncomfortable with the many changes the pledge has gone through, even over the protests of the author. It doesn't seem to make sense to take a personal writing and butcher it.
ITA. I am not patriotic, so I myself stopped saying the pledge at school around 5th grade. But the daily recital has always kind of puzzled me, for the reasons stated above.

That said, my kids spent time in school and do know the pledge and I would not silence them if they felt the desire to recite it.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:49 PM

It never even crossed my mind. And now that it has, no. Have not and will not.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, we do pray in the morning though.

Like some of the other posters, I am uncomfortable with children pledging allegiance to the USA. And as a Christian, I don't want my kids 1) feeling like they have to be loyal to anything other than God and 2) swearing oaths.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM

I have this pledge hanging in my kitchen and I do read it frequently to remind myself.

"I pledge allegiance to the earth and to the flora, fauna and human life that it supports. One planet indivisible, with safe air, water & soil, economic justice, equal rights and peace for all."

Blessings to all no matter what your opinion.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
Old 05-27-2008, 02:26 PM

Here's the opposition to doing it from a Christian perspective:

http://peace.mennolink.org/articles/...flections.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070300895.html

Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMama View Post
I'm uncomfortable with my kids reciting pledges mindlessly. It seems robotic or something.
: When my kids are old enough to understand what it means, if they want to say it, we'll probably say it. But as one is 6 and the other is 3, neither of them would even know what they were pledging.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Mom View Post
I have this pledge hanging in my kitchen and I do read it frequently to remind myself.

"I pledge allegiance to the earth and to the flora, fauna and human life that it supports. One planet indivisible, with safe air, water & soil, economic justice, equal rights and peace for all."

Blessings to all no matter what your opinion.

Kathi
This is lovely.
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Old 05-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Ironically, my dh is a combat war veteran who really has an issue with the mindless recitation of the POA, especially when done by kids.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 05-28-2008, 12:44 AM

Location: In the Central Valley, dreaming of my home by the bay..
We're just learning it right now for our social studies unit, but doubtful we will continue saying it once we are done

SpiralScoutin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Michael, Citizen of Portlandia, age 21, Danielle, Artist in Residence, Age 9 & Jack-Jack, Minecraft Maniac, Age 6
Old 05-28-2008, 02:09 AM

We don't have a Pledge of Allegiance. (Although I do stand with respect for O Canada during hockey games , Rememberence Day ceremonies, etc.)

But I don't believe one should make any person swear a pledge or oath that isn't undertaken of their own intent and free will. Especially not a child, who likely doesn't even truly understand what it is they are pledging, or what pledging their allegiance even means. I think pledging allegiance to something, bequeathing your own person to an ideal or cause, is a pretty big deal. I wouldn't expect any person to do so merely by rote, and wouldn't expect such a major commitment of self to be made by a child at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
I think LilyGrace said it excellently here.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:40 PM

All i could think of was YIKES!

The pledge of Allegiance goes against our belief system. We serve, pledge allegiance and worship our creator only. Not the flag or the United States.
Also, I try to keep the DC focus on a worldly view.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:18 PM

I found another good article about not saying the pledge as a Christian:

http://www.thirdway.com/peace/?Page=1843|Pledge+of+Allegiance

Old 05-29-2008, 06:49 PM

We don't but I do plan to introduce it to them from a historical perspective. I learned it in 2nd grade and I don't mind saying it but I am an adult and I can actually understand it. I have no plans to force my children to say it. I do put my hand on my heart and I sing the Star Spangled Banner as well but again I will not force it on my kids.

:
Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 PM

interesting thread and comments. We don't although I did for a second think about putting a flag in the corner of our school room and saying the POA in the AM. But never got around to it. And it wasn't so much that Ijust had to have the kids learn it and say it, but more because in the beginning of our homeschooling i had the 'school at home' mentality going so it just seemed like the thing to do, kwim?

So now, that I'm thinking about it, I would probably have them learn it someday, maybe this next school year, just so that they won't look around at everyone and not have a clue about whats going on when we're someplace and we do say it, . But I do agree that our country is screwed up in many places. We are not living like our constitution said we should, and we are not living the words of the POA. So I probably will search around for some beautifully written short scripts or a quote that I would like my children to hold dear to their hearts and live by. And we can learn to recite that. I think it would be nice to learn some lovely quotes to live by. And maybe once we learn them well, move on to a different one. More like a school/life motto? I really like the one by CM. "I am, I can, I ought, I shall."

Similarly, I will also have my kids learn some of the different parts of the constitution, our country's anthem, etc. The words really are beautiful, and although some or many may not be living those words, others are. I want my children to know what our country was founded on, and learn to live their lives well also.

User Tag List