Pledge of Allegiance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do your kids say the Pledge of Allegiance, Christian Pledge, or Pledge to the Bible? We have never done any of this but recently saw a television show & the children said the Pledge at the beginning of "school" in the morning. I realized this is probably something my children should know better but I guess though we are definitly not unschoolers we are just not that "school" organized either.

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
#2 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 03:31 PM

We started that this week.
#3 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 03:35 PM

I see those things as ways of incorporating ideas into groups of children who may not come across them in their homes. If you're already promoting the important values you care about, that in itself is what's going to make the difference for a child. I think it's good to be familiar with things that may come up on a crowd later at some point, but not important enough to practice every day. - Lillian
#4 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 03:45 PM

Nope. We don't.
#5 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 04:02 PM

Absolutely not! The forced standing for and recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in school is one of the reasons we're homeschooling! Both me and DH protested (independently, prior to knowing each other) the Pledge of Allegiance in our schools. We certainly won't force something like that on our kids!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#6 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 04:04 PM

No.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#7 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 04:22 PM

No , i don't say the pledge of alliegiance to the flag, because i believe part of it is a lie, when it says, "with liberty and justice for all", there is obviously not liberty and justice for all in our country or probally any other country either! My son who is now 19 stopped saying it in the 5th or 6th grade for the same reason, all through middle school and high school he would just sit there while everyone else in the class said it. Some teachers made him stand but said he didn't have to say it! Basically some teachers didn't mind him not saying it at all and others were quite angry with him, but he stuck to his beliefs and didn't say it through 7 years of school! I let my kids decide for themselves, when old enough. I think my daughter has always said it at school. Though now she is being home schooled again, so she doesn't. When we would go to school functions and my son and i would often be the only ones not standing and saying the pledge of allegiance to the flag, we'd get some strange, not so very nice looks!

"Love Is Something Eternal, The Aspect My Change, But Not The Essence"
#8 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 04:25 PM

My kids know them (well, the oldest does -- middle is learning) the pledges through AWANA and VBS at church. We don't make them a part of our school day, though.
#9 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No.

My kids know the Pledge of Alliegance (I am not familiar with the Christian Pledge or Pledge to the Bible) mostly because they spent some time in school, but my guess is that it would have come up eventually anyway at an event, on TV, in a book, or in conversation.

It's not important to me at all, and like a PP, I see it as somewhat inaccurate.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#10 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 05:19 PM

We never did any type of pledge, ever.
#11 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 05:44 PM

we don't say the pledge of allegiance ever. it's not offensive to me or anything...honestly, i just forget. my daughter does know it though, so somewhere along the way she's picked it up. next year my children will be taking awana through a church in town - so they will learn it all there i suppose.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#12 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 05:59 PM

No, we don't. Things like that are one reason we hs and like a previous poster I stopped saying the pledge before high svhool.
#13 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No way! I'm really opposed to the Pledge of Allegiance. Why should anyone feel obligated to pledge loyalty to the country they live in, just because they happened to be born there? (And no Christian or Bible pledges, either - we're atheists.)
#14 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 07:24 PM

Not here at home, but the kids say the Pledge of Allegience at their Bible study class. They did the Pledge to the Christian Flag at VBS last year, and I think the Pledge to the Bible as well.
#15 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 07:25 PM

I certainly would never consider asking my child to say any of those horrid things. And no, we don't stand during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner either. I love my country, but I'm terrified of my government.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#16 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 07:37 PM

My children are returning to homeschooling this year {they finished ps year Friday and we are starting our independent studies this week} The older kids have known the Pledge since they were toddlers, and the toddler has been exposed to it her whole 2.5 years of life but we have yet to have her recite it on her own. They learn the Pledge to the Christian flag, AWANA flag and Bible at church thru Sunday School, AWANA and VBS. Being that our life is centered around the whims of the Army they also know the Soldiers Creed and things of that nature, as well as the rules and responsibilities governing things like behavior and positioning during playing of the Anthems, Reville & Retreat, etc.
#17 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
No way! I'm really opposed to the Pledge of Allegiance. Why should anyone feel obligated to pledge loyalty to the country they live in, just because they happened to be born there? (And no Christian or Bible pledges, either - we're atheists.)

This is us exactly.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#18 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 PM

No! I hate the Pledge (and we're atheists, so the Christian/Bible ones are out). I don't stand for or recite it myself.

When they're older, maybe we'll go through it line by line and talk about why it's so screwed up, but I don't think it's something they need to get into at this point.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#19 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Banned

No we don't. They didn't even while attending private montessori elementary school prior to home schooling. They will learn the Pledge later. Never heard of Christian or Bible pledge.
#20 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 09:49 PM

Nope. We didn't say the pledge of allegiance at home before kids, nor do we say it at home after kids. If they are at an event that they need to know it-- boy scouts or girl scouts- they will and/or have learned it from that situation.
#21 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 10:44 PM

I've never heard of a Christian/Bible pledge either.

As for the POA, I hated it when I was a kid and refused to say it. My kids will learn it as a discussion piece, not as a rote memorization. Blech.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#22 of 49 Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, we say it. The kids memorized it because we put it on their bedroom wall (along with parts of the Constitution, the Gettysburg Address, and a periodic table of the elements...)

My kids also say the Pledge during martial arts class, along with a list of five tenets they are expected to live by, according to their martial art.

We also stand for the Star Spangled Banner, with our hands on our hearts, and I cry every time I hear it no matter what.

Our government is imperfect, and there is injustice and there are wrongs out there...but I still believe in the basic principles on which our country was founded, and I have a reverence for the *potential* for good and for justice which our country embodies.

I was also raised military, and not to stand for the pledge or the national anthem just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm an atheist, my husband is a Lutheran, we've never heard of Bible Pledges or anything like that.

love, penelope

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#23 of 49 Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

wow I certainly got alot of responces I didn't expect to encounter. Thanks to everyone for their opinion. After hearing the reasons why some of you choose not to say it or have your children say it I was very very um surprised. Thanks so much for your imput. I believe that I will have my children start next year.

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
#24 of 49 Old 05-27-2008, 02:50 AM

Surprised? I'm honestly totally curious- why did the responses surprise you? Which responses are surprising?

Unschooling mama to DD1, 11/2001
and DD2, 11/2004
#25 of 49 Old 05-27-2008, 04:20 AM

Just for those who might be interested

Pledge to the Christian Flag
I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag and to the Savior for whose kingdom it stands. One brotherhood uniting all Christians in service and in love.

Pledge to the Bible
I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God's holy word and will keep it a light unto my path, a lamp unto my feet and will hide it word in my heart that I might not sin against God.

And I don't know the pledge to the AWANA flag, though my children do participate in it.
#26 of 49 Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 AM

No pledge here. When I'm in the U.S. I do stand for the Star Spangled Banner but do not think anyone should if they don't want to. My DS is very into the Revolutionary War and will sometimes march around waving the small American flag we have and say "hurray for liberty!" No, I did not teach him that!
The pledge, however, I just think is creepy.
#27 of 49 Old 05-27-2008, 08:41 AM

We do say the pledge. Not every day but probably about once a week. The kids like it and as we move all over (have only lived in U.S. for one year of their lives). They have quite an awareness of different countries, governments, flags and cultures. I want to make sure they know which country they 'belong' to, have an allegiance to an appreciation for standing up for our rights. Also, living all over the world really does give some perspective on the quality of life that the vast majority of Americans get to experience.
If we had adopted children from another country (we are considering this) we will teach them the history of their nation (good and bad) and to be proud of where they come from.
#28 of 49 Old 05-27-2008, 08:53 AM

I'm uncomfortable with my kids reciting pledges mindlessly. It seems robotic or something.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#29 of 49 Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle in the Hay View Post
My DS is very into the Revolutionary War and will sometimes march around waving the small American flag we have and say "hurray for liberty!"

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#30 of 49 Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris View Post
Surprised? I'm honestly totally curious- why did the responses surprise you? Which responses are surprising?
I'm surprised because I didn't realize honestly that opening a thread about the pledge would get this much responce. I was more thinking people would be like me & be like "oh no, we'e not that routine in our day for that" or " I've never thought about that either". I guess because I am from, live, & believe conservatively ( small town south) with one cousin who gave his life to this war, two more cousins presently on their 3rd & 4th tour & a little brother who just made 2nd leutinant I forget that there are those outside of my little bubble who think differently about this country, the flag, etc. I do respect everyones opinion, believe everyone is entitled to it, & the ability for all to have, express, believe, and share or opinions is what makes this country ( I said country not govenment) great.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page