kinesthetic learners - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kinds of things do you do with your kinesthetic learner? I just found out that my youngest is this type of learner. Please give me any ideas.

Off to play dominoes...A very appropriate activity for a kinesthetic learner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 11:32 PM

I think this would be my ds. We're unschoolers and he is naturally drawn to jigsaw puzzles, workbooks with mazes/matching, drawing/writing/numbers with large pavement chalks, dominoes, lego (good for maths/estimation etc), he likes to raise his wooden train tracks up on building blocks at different levels and slopes, crafts that involve glueing/taping, playing with ropes and tying knots, skipping rope, throwing balls and counting (I introduced the concept of 2's, 5's, 10's etc while throwing, but also through bouncing on the tramp and swinging), sandpit play, while planting plants we talk about depth of soil or plant spacings to refer to measurements, hopscotch etc.

HTH

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

Old 06-04-2008, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am one. So I easily incorporate things for my kids. We are very hands on. I don't know how to talk about specifics as far as this goes, really.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 AM

I have one of those.
I just let him move and work very hard to remember that he can't just sit still.

Sometimes I tell him to run around the house while he reads something he needs to remember. He thinks it's hilarious but it works.

We also don't alway sit at the table to do work. He's growing out of it a tiny bit.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post
throwing balls and counting (I introduced the concept of 2's, 5's, 10's etc while throwing, but also through bouncing on the tramp and swinging)
I love this idea!

I take the boys to the YMCA 3 days a week. This is a must.

At library time ds plays with the toys instead of listening to the story. That's fine with me.

I allow him at least an hour outside everyday to explore freely. This usually prompts lots of interest and questions.

He likes pop-up books and books that you can open doors and other things like that. 15-30 minutes of sitting is good for him, but not usually any longer.

He has lots of math manipulatives. He likes to count them, and make patterns. He also loves puzzles, all types. I'm going to get him a subscription to Puzzle Buzz.

We do lots of crafts and baking.

I would love a book that addresses this type of learning.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:00 PM

American Sign Language was great for my kiddo: it's not the same as "baby sign", it's a complete language with its own grammatical structure, etc. We combined ASL with verbal language to introduce kiddo to mostly Spanish, but also a bit of Italian & French

Preschool age, we went through the alphabet (& numbers, colors, etc.) by making up silly dances to go along with songs (song for letter A = the ants go marching 1 by 1) while collecting various things from outdoors & around the house that began with that sound (or had the specific number/color, etc.) & created a poster collage of those items into that shape (letter/number/color)

Lots of beanbag tossing games -- for numbers/math, alphabet/spelling, colors & shapes, even nutrition (Googled the food pyramid & requested free supplies from the gov't), etc....

We stamped out letters/numbers/words into the snow or mud & wrote them on the frosty windows, etc.

Since my kid *hated* sitting still for a picture book, we would dress up & act out chapter books instead

The kitchen & laundry room is a good place for learning, too!

We got *out* of the house: lots of FREE play time with friends was a must.

Once I realized she's kinesthetic, it slowly became easier to find the joy in teaching her
Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Papooses~ Thank you. There are some great ideas in your post. I really do appreciate it.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I also wanted to add that so much of what Waldorf education teaches is very good for this type of learner. We are Waldorf/Unschoolers and this works very well with children who learn in this way.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:26 PM

You're welcome, Kass! It's my pleasure & although we're temporarily doing the public school thing (because we actually found an awesome teacher/school fit for her needs + mine) we both do miss homeschooling.... I'm back in this area of the forum to rev myself up for another round of summer homeschooling & this thread was just what I needed to remind myself of what fun we had So, I thank you for that & would also like to you know how nice it is to hear I've helped

User Tag List