Enki families~ check in here! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 236 Old 07-29-2008, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so, i'm kind of confused about the stories. and i could probably find the answer in the guides but i'll ask here anyways..

there are the folk, fairy, nature stories. do you read one of each everyday or 2 or all three? i know the sample schedule shows storytime that seems to me would just read one story for. are you doing all three but one story each day? like first nature, next day folk, third fairy - in rotation?
#62 of 236 Old 07-29-2008, 11:29 AM

it IS confusing. i *think* for Kindergarten the folk and fairy tales sort of serve the same purpose. the folk ones are for earlier in the year or for younger kids and the fairy tales are for later. you will read one (either a folk or fairy tale) and then work with it (the same story) for 2 more days. so, you won't read a new folk/fairy tale each day. then, the nature stories would be additional, probably one a week or so.

does that sound right?

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#63 of 236 Old 07-29-2008, 12:02 PM

I only do 1 story a week, so 1 week may be a F&F and the nexy week a nature (in Kindergarten)

(typing 1 handed while BF)

Homeschooling

Roland 08/03
Oscar 05/07

http://pnwlifelearning.blogspot.com/

#64 of 236 Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 AM

ok that makes sense.

now, the enki world language resource libraries. where are they?? i've looked through the guides and the rest of my books but i haven't found anything. where are they supposed to be? i'm gonna go ask the yahoo group too..
#65 of 236 Old 07-30-2008, 10:46 AM

They're not yet available. French will be first, and Spanish next.
But don't put your own language plans on hold waiting for them, because it could be quite a while!
#66 of 236 Old 07-30-2008, 11:13 AM

oh! ok. thanks.
#67 of 236 Old 08-03-2008, 01:47 PM

Made my big supply purchase! Any other newbies order their supplies? I can't wait to see everything, especially the playstands --what a stellar deal! Does anyone else have them? How well do you like them?
#68 of 236 Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 PM

I am so itching to buy playstands.
But I worry they wouldn't get enough use to justify the cost.
#69 of 236 Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM

i made my own playstands for cheap! so easy to make girls! my kids play with them more than any other toy! now for 1st grade questions...anyone doing it and have a schedule...i've done kindy three years, but ist grade with enki...yeah i'm not sure i have the brain capacity! lol
#70 of 236 Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM

my dad made our playstands. i need more clips though.

lsm, i am doing first grade this year. i am still working on my schedule, but it's not going too badly. i am relying heavily on the samples though. i think the main thing i have left to do is the movement/circle stuff. i know i will like it once i get into it but for now i'm just overwhelmed and scared of it all.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#71 of 236 Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 PM

I have no knowledge whatsoever when it comes to building things. I was stoked when I saw the price of their playstands though. $180 for 2 is a steal imo! (When everywhere else they're like $200 just for 1!)

I haven't written out a schedule yet. I really need to get on it!
#72 of 236 Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 PM

I have a few questions for you Enki users, if you don't mind. I am seriously considering going this route when my children get old enough.

Are there any cons associated with this program? Any weak points, drawbacks, difficulties you or someone you've spoken with have had? I've read great review after great review, and haven't come across one negative comment. I'd like a balanced view of the program...

This doesn't matter in the decision making process, but what in the world is a good book?

Do the CD-ROMS available for purchase with the guides have additional information, or are they simply an electronic version of the guides?

And lastly, I'm a little confused about what to order. My oldest is only 3, so we currently only need the foundations guide and the Early Childhood Teaching guide. I gather that the cost of the foundations guide could be applied in full towards the Complete K package when we're ready for it, but not the returning K package, correct? Wouldn't I then end up with 2 foundations and 2 EC teaching guides, though?

Here's where it gets confusing... by my calculations, it is cheaper to purchase the 7 books seperately (assuming you don't get the ROMs w/ the guides), than to get the complete k curriculum - is there something in the complete curriculum aside from the 5 kindergarten books and 2 guides? I also noticed that the 5 books included in the returner's package are cheaper seperately than in the package. Are there extra cd's or dvds in either package that don't come with the books when you purchase them seperately? It all seems so strange...

Thanks for your help!
Rene
#73 of 236 Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
i made my own playstands for cheap! so easy to make girls!
Making them isn't the problem...but if we made them we'd want to use something other than pine, and that gets expensive fast!
#74 of 236 Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're doing Enki First grade this coming fall, and it will be our first year using Enki as well as homeschooling. I LOVE the Enki philosophy, rhythm, and so many other things about it, but why did I decide to accept the challenge of using it our very first year? :

FWIW, I just finished our yearly & monthly block plans this morning. I have all my supplies in a big tote box, and am just waiting to buy a wooden storage cabinet to keep in our dining room (we're going to use our kitchen table for any seat work).
So, now I just need to fill in my weekly plans, read the guides more in depth, make manipulatives....oy-yoi-yoi!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#75 of 236 Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM

I am interested in their “Kindergarten Folk and Fairy Tales” ($50), “Grade One fairy Tales” ($125) and may be their “Nature Stories ($50ea.)” I assume these are hard covered books. How should I go about buying these books? And, do you get a better use out of them, if you buy them with a whole curriculum $$$
#76 of 236 Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 AM

The stories books (and most of the other resources) come in binders.
The guides are spiral bound.

About the Nature Stories ~ you can buy K and GR1 together for $80, so that saves a few dollars. Do try to buy everything you want at once, because the S&H is fairly high for the first item(s), and increases only slightly with each additional item. (Paper is heavy stuff!)

I've only just begun using the Enki materials, so I'm not necessarily the best person to answer your question about package vs. piece meal. But I can summarize a few differences. Of course the cost is higher if you buy everything separately, but if you really don't need all of the pieces and don't want access to online/phone support, it might make more sense to skip the package.

If you buy the Foundation Guides you get access to the Holistic Families yahoogroup. (I think the Foundation Guides are great, but I do think they're longer than necessary.) If you buy a package, you get access to the grade level yahoogroup, a free 1-hour phone consultation, and monthly grade level conference calls. You also get a read-only CD-ROM of the package materials, which can be useful for searching by keyword.

Starting at Grade 1, you can't buy separately and get all of the materials ~ the Instructor's Guides are only available to package buyers.

I've read that there are less expensive books that do a nice job of covering crafts, but I wouldn't know what to suggest. While Enki movement is considered by many to be a unique resource, a mama on another board said that Christopherus' Joyful Movement would be a reasonable and much less expensive substitute. Many people like to start their exploration of math with Gnomes and Gnumbers (scroll to bottom for first lesson), which is a free online resource.

Good luck figuring it all out!
#77 of 236 Old 08-06-2008, 06:46 PM

Hi Enki Mamas and Dads:

DS1 and 2 were supposed to attend a Waldorf Kindy this fall, but no they no longer can due to financial issues. I really feel drawn to Enki, but have heard it requires a lot of pre-planning. Realistically, with a 5, 3, and 1 year old--I'm not sure how much time I have for that. Can any of you Mamas who've done Enki-K give me some idea as to how much prep time it required of you?? How much scheduling advice do they give you or is it basically free-form?

Thanks in advance.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#78 of 236 Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 PM

Enki K is pretty simple. You put together a movement sequence to do at least a few times a week, which is either a circle or some kind of physical activity plus specific movement activities. There are example circles/movement sequences in the materials. The circle will stay the same for a couple months, and then you'll change it, possibly as the seasons change.

You choose one story per week and read it 3-4x over the course of the week ~ no story work or other academic work is involved.

You work on a daily rhythm which might look something like this:

wake up
breakfast
creative play
circle time
snack & story
outdoor play
lunch
quiet time (very important)
afternoon adventures (could be baking/crafts/painting, could be outings)
creative play
settling in time (ie. read aloud before dinner)
dinner
family time
bedtime routine
sleep

The introduction of transition rituals helps to make transitions peaceful and functional. All of the work on rhythm and transitions is supposed to help make your home a peaceful, nurturing place where learning can happen. It is also supposed to prepare you to add in the academic bits and pieces in GR1...now that's where I've heard it gets hard!

Specific meditation practices for the parent are recommended, both for self-nurturing and to help facilitate parenting/teaching.

Sure, there's a TON of reading to do, but don't let that put you off too much. You could just read the start-up guide 2 or 3 times through, and then dive into the binders for stories, crafts, movement, etc. The Foundation Guides can wait, though I do think they're good reads (but a bit long).

I'm probably leaving something out, but really, K is supposed to be very simple!
#79 of 236 Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 PM

Thanks jplain. I know our entire family would benefit from having a better rhythm to our day. I'm tempted to order the foundation guides and the movement DVD to give it a try....

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#80 of 236 Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 AM

Thank you, jplain. Enki is starting to make more sense to me. So, my next plan is to talk on the phone, decide how I can do the program with my DD6 and DS 4. Can anyone give me a head up?

And, how do you value their on-line group, and other support from Enki?

After serching and collecting children's books on multiculture stories, I'm drooling over their books, but the curriculum that goes with it may be something we all fall in love with.

I've done things on my own, with internet and library, but I need structure, calender, schedule and program that I can work with. I just can't come up with everything on my own.
#81 of 236 Old 08-08-2008, 07:02 PM

The prepurchase conference calls are on Monday evenings. If you're interested, subscribe to the Enki Experience yahoogroup, and you'll find more details and instructions for RSVP'ing.

I do find the online support valuable, because I like being able to read about others' successes and struggles. And though I've only had one monthly conference call so far, it did give me a better feel for the "flavor" of Enki as envisioned by Beth Sutton.

Quote:
After searching and collecting children's books on multiculture stories...
If you have any favorites, I'd love to know what they are!

Quote:
I've done things on my own, with internet and library, but I need structure, calender, schedule and program that I can work with. I just can't come up with everything on my own.
Oooh, then I think you might find that Enki is not right for you, because with Enki the parent does have to do a lot of planning. Maybe you'd do better with something like Christopherus (lakesuperiormom might be able to comment more on that curriculum), with added multicultural elements that you bring in to supplement. Or if you want a planned-out curriculum that isn't pure Waldorf but does have some Waldorf-inspired features, you might want to check out Oak Meadow.
#82 of 236 Old 08-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Is any of the other newbie's seriously thinking about using the Kindy Yearly Plan that's on the files section of the HF group? : I feel like a cop out but I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment! Maybe I'll use it --tweaking things here and there to make it my own -- this year and that way it'll give me a good base to work from going into next year.
#83 of 236 Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 PM

I've looked at Montessori, Oak Meadow, Waldorf, including Christopherus. I visited Montessori Schools around here, and other private schools liked them, but none really clicked. I felt like they still run like a regular school, with Dr. Montessori's oil paint hanging on the wall (if they were a Montessori School.) Otherwise, I think my kids may have attended one of those school/preschool or K. I seriously considered it, just to meet other family who shared the same idea in parenting, but the price of my children to enter school for just that reason was too high.

The funny thing is that I have read the Enki websites before, but I didn't realize how it was combined. I just visited their supply web-stores: We already have many to start. I hate restrictions but need more structure. I don't mind the prep work; we already do (with no direction.) My plan is to open the PDF for 5 days and try to read them as much as possible before I have a consultation with Beth. I can't wait to read what's on yahoo group (for people who purchased the program.) Will I see any of you there? It would be a delight
#84 of 236 Old 08-10-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
Is any of the other newbie's seriously thinking about using the Kindy Yearly Plan that's on the files section of the HF group? : I feel like a cop out but I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment! Maybe I'll use it --tweaking things here and there to make it my own -- this year and that way it'll give me a good base to work from going into next year.
I haven't looked through the files section for HF yet. Off to browse....

Back again. Thanks for pointing those out. Actually they don't look so overwhelming to me, once I take into account that there is no "story work," just reading aloud. We need to have some sort of afternoon activity anyway, or my DH is going to think I'm shirking my duties as "teacher." But I'll probably just use them as a guide. I'll print them out and start to work on making my own version this week.
#85 of 236 Old 08-10-2008, 05:35 PM

forgive my ignorance. what's hf?
#86 of 236 Old 08-10-2008, 07:01 PM

Holistic Families, the yahoogroup for those who own the Enki Foundation Guides. If you own the guides, you should have been invited to join. If you haven't, you can email and ask for access.
#87 of 236 Old 08-10-2008, 07:11 PM

ah ha....... I haven't yet purchased. soon, I believe. Found someone pretty close, gonna look at her stuff before I commit (I'm afraid of commitment.... well that and putting yet another charge on the credit card, lol)
#88 of 236 Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
I haven't looked through the files section for HF yet. Off to browse....

Back again. Thanks for pointing those out. Actually they don't look so overwhelming to me, once I take into account that there is no "story work," just reading aloud. We need to have some sort of afternoon activity anyway, or my DH is going to think I'm shirking my duties as "teacher." But I'll probably just use them as a guide. I'll print them out and start to work on making my own version this week.
Ya - after I found that I feel alot better too. I'm gonna do the same thing - print out this week and figure out my own version. There is a blank spreadsheet as well.
#89 of 236 Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 AM

I had a phone consultation with Beth yesterday, and was ready to hit the 'enter' key, but only hard copy version is currently available. Does anyone know when the electronic ed. for K and G1 will be available?

I'm ordering Complete K and reternee's G1.
#90 of 236 Old 08-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Here's the explanation that was posted to the Enki Experience yahoogroup:

"Lastly on the practical, we are still awaiting the final program
repairs to make the Electronic Enki viable. As it turns out, what the
company said the full program can do and what it actually can do are
not the same. Because ours is a complicated use of the program, we are
where the discrepancy showed up. The original designer of the FileOpen
product has been brought in by that company to rework the program so
that it will do what we need (and what they described originally) and
we very much hope it will all be working in two weeks. Anyone on our
mailing list will automatically be notified. If you are not on the
mailing list, just email the office and you will be put on."

I considered the electronic version, and then decided against it because I wasn't comfortable reading so much material on a computer screen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page