Enki families~ check in here! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 236 Old 09-01-2008, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Someone asked me earlier, and I never had a chance to respond, whether Christopherus was working better for my family or not.

We have not actually "begun homeschool" here, but will start Tuesday, day after Labor Day. That said, I have now read through most of Enki, Christopherus, and Oak Meadow. And I have mixed opinions on all of it Not sure what I will end up keeping. Most likely all of Christopherus, that I'm pretty sure of.

Christopherus: The most truely Waldorf of the whole bunch. VERY homeschooling friendly, as it is written by a homeschooling mother of two grown boys herself. I love how friendly, lively, and real Donna is in her writings. She just "clicks" with me. I think she gets it--being a homeschooling mother, and writes from that perspective. I also like how everything is well laid out day by day, week by week, and month, in blocks, etc. But it is not too much or overwhelming.

Enki: Wow. What can I say? When they call it a resource library, they aren't kidding! It's a HUGE load of information--way too much in my opinion--but hey, at least you aren't left wondering or with any holes to fill with information, it's ALL there, that and the kitchen sink!

It's a blend of Waldorf without the religion, and it's very own unique Enki style. I do love the way it is all about sensory integration, and working with a child's head-heart-hands. I do like the philosophy behind it all. But there is SO MUCH planning and reading that has to be done on the part of the parent. I also feel like it is homeschool friendly, but not written for homeschoolers by a homeschooling mother who is one of us. It is obvious it was a school curriculum that has been re-written to be used by homeschoolers.

Oak Meadow: This is like what many say it is--a more main streamed, non-spiritual approach to Waldorf. Waldorf-lite if you will It starts letters and numbers in Kindergarten, which Waldorf is adamantly opposed to. Not that I truly am, I'm just adding that tidbit of info. It definitely lacks the richness, life, philosophy and heart to it that the other two curriculums provide. It is more academic I would say. And it is laid out in weeks, not by day, so you kind of have to add some planning and structure yourself to get it all done. But not too much.
I do like that the stories are all very gentle, non-violent/scary, unlike many of the Grimms Fairy Tales that are used in traditional Waldorf education. In the Kindergarten program there are stories from Beatrix Potter, which are oh-so-sweet.

This would be a good program to choose for someone who wanted to do Waldorf but was afraid of it not being academic enough for their child. Or for someone's who's husband wasn't entirely comfortable with their using a Waldorf education. It is a nice compromise I would say.

Edited to add a little more info. on Oak Meadow.

Well, there you have it! My long-winded review!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#122 of 236 Old 09-01-2008, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, there you have it! My long-winded review!
Thank you so so so much, I cannot begin to tell you how much this has helped me - it's exactly what I was looking for!
#123 of 236 Old 09-03-2008, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
anyone working with second grade enki? i have some questions for you!
Me, also. I have a second grader and I wanted to demo it so that I can try and talk dh into buying it, but it's still not up. They told me two months ago it'd be up by early August and still is not going...

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#124 of 236 Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
Enki:... But there is SO MUCH planning and reading that has to be done on the part of the parent.
It's very possible that I might change my mind about this when my package finally arrives. But... I really like this part. I wanted to have the background info. Why we do something a certain way, why this story at this stage and another type later. It's almost like I'm paying for a curriculum for both of us, not just dd.
(I'm really into child development and alternative education, so don't mind reading.) Anyway, can't wait to get my teeth stuck into it.
#125 of 236 Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 PM

I'm kinda with you on that one... thought about doing it all on my own, but I like the idea of having all the materials already gathered, but still having complete open-ended freedom with that material.
#126 of 236 Old 09-07-2008, 05:01 PM

got my boxes yesterday.
feeling like a cat who hears the can opener.
good thing I got a new bookshelf.
working on my rythm, as leaves are starting to settle.
#127 of 236 Old 09-07-2008, 05:25 PM

what grade are you doing?
#128 of 236 Old 09-07-2008, 05:44 PM

I purchased K-complete for my son who is 4.5, and G1 returnee's for my daughter 6.5.

And, yes, I'm trying to not overwhelm myself.

Actually, I am enjoying the guide, as well as impressed, moved and inspired all at once. I finally found someone who understand my need.
--------------------------

That being said, if anyone has a same material, I would like to ask specific question about the material. I'm checking the package check list, and it's confusing.

It came with a sheet of titles that you can insert in the backing of the folder, but the book title and the titles that you need to cut out from this sheet to insert are not exactly the same : and, it is making me wonder, if I am missing some material, or more to come in the mail??

Anyway, I have "Enki Early Childhood Guides", "Enki Grade One Guides" and "Enki Teacher's Workbook" labels (that I cut out from the sheet) with no binder for it. I hope, this because these books are spiral bound books.

Yet, I have no label to slide in the backing of the folder for "Kindergarten Learning through Movement Book II" I have the label for the book I, but no Book II. They are both in three ring folder.

Why does Grade one Cuisenaire Rod Workbook have no holes to put them in a holder??

Sorry to be so nitpicky.
#129 of 236 Old 09-07-2008, 09:31 PM

I like the color-coordinated binder spine labels that are available in the yahoogroups files section.
#130 of 236 Old 09-07-2008, 11:46 PM

...by the way, I'm curious if anyone is going to buy the Enki K on Trading Post!?
#131 of 236 Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I wish I could! But my computer just died and I need the money. You think if I have that that I could get the returners editions of 1 or 2 instead of complete or do you HAVE to buy it through them. I don't think I need them after using the demo, but it's required to buy anything else through Enki.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#132 of 236 Old 09-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
...by the way, I'm curious if anyone is going to buy the Enki K on Trading Post!?
I'm interested. Can you give me a link? I can't find it.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#133 of 236 Old 09-09-2008, 02:41 PM

It is under homeschool in MDC Trading Post.
#134 of 236 Old 09-09-2008, 07:50 PM

I bought some of the Enki Kindy books, and then tried to organize things by month in a different binder--and now I've lost some pages!!! ACK! Is there anyone here willing to print out just a few pages for me and send them to me, (or copy a few pages if you don't have the electronic version) ? It's like 2 songs and a nature story I believe--but they were one's I really wanted to use!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#135 of 236 Old 09-10-2008, 01:12 PM

We read "Bojabi" (or was it "Jambobi"?) last night, and did movement with it this morning. How cute!! We love it :
#136 of 236 Old 09-12-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
anyone working with second grade enki? i have some questions for you!

Ahhh.. a new Enki thread. I'm Angie in Maine and am currently doing grade 2 with my 7 year old. We also did first and kindy. We really thrive on the rhythm and find the consultation calls sometimes essential. When you are talking about the subtleties of how to diagnose resistance or about what's happening developmentally with your child and how to meet them where they are at and then stretch them a little, Beth is invaluable.

I have pockets of time to get my household work done (morning before circle, morning after circle and during the afternoon after our project work). It's been a long time to arrive at a rhythm that feels life-giving, but it's been worth it.

As for after 2nd grade, I'm inspired from the conference to pull it together on my own, but we'll see. I just try to feel grateful for what is available and have faith that other things will appear.

Lakesuperiormom, what's your question?

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)
#137 of 236 Old 09-12-2008, 10:09 AM

for those who do morning circle, how often do you change the movement activities up? i can't remember right now but i have mine scheduled to change every 2 weeks and switch up the order the 2nd week. but i have a feeling my dd is gonna get "bored" with these same activites next week. i guess i'll just wait and see and if that's what happens we can try going outside for the morning walk or adventure walk.
#138 of 236 Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 AM

Hi Angie! I emailed you recently through the Yahoo group about your 4-day rhythm schedules. Happy to see you here!

#139 of 236 Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 AM

Eco-Mama,
I asked Beth this very same question on a conference call recently, and she said you should never change more than 1 thing each week. So your circle is basically the same all month, with only one song changing each week.
But she said that throughout each season you should have a couple of songs that stay the same or carry over from each month, so there is always something familiar for the child each month, and it's not all new.

The gathering and closing song stay the same all year long.

#140 of 236 Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 PM

We read "Matrashika" last night from K-Folk. What an empowering story it is. I had the nesting doll from Russia given to me as a little girl. It was a souvenir gift. I wish I knew this story then, and I wish I have the doll now to give it to my children.
#141 of 236 Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 AM

My box has arrived!!!!!!! Busy baby sitting this week, but I am reading the Foundation Guides. Can't belive how excited I am about a box full of books
#142 of 236 Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 AM

Mamas:

Can you tell me how Enki teaches math in the K and 1st grade levels? Is it a Waldorf approach or something else?

TIA,
umsami

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#143 of 236 Old 09-15-2008, 12:13 PM

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why the price difference between Christopherus and Enki? I have been looking at both programs as well as Waldorf Without Walls. While the Enki stuff looks fantastic (and I can see there is a lot there) the price is more than triple that of Christopherus. Both are supposed to be a full curriculum so why the difference?

For price alone I'm thinking of going with Christopherus or Waldorf Without Walls. I figure if I need more stuff with these programs or we want to take a different direction then there is still money in the budget to do that. With Enki it would be a struggle if we decided to go a bit of a different direction or wanted to supplement.

What do you think? I know most people in this thread are using Enki...but it sounds like several of you have tried some of the more Waldorf-y stuff.

Oh...and if it matters my DS is 6 and had started grade one but now we are homeschooling. I also have another DS 4. I'm not so worried about the 4 year old have a set curriculum...he can join in when he wants or play when he doesn't. Although it does sound like a lot of Waldorf stuff may be geared to being suitable for both boys.
#144 of 236 Old 09-15-2008, 04:58 PM

I get the same question from my in-law. Why the organic carrots vs. regular bag of carrots from so and so?? I don't think I could ever give them an acceptable answer, no matter how nicely I speak to them. I just wish they would stop asking me the same question.

I read Enki website, and the more I read, the more I knew this is what I wanted for my children. The funny thing was that I read Enki Website when my DD was born (she is now 6 yr. old) At the time I read it, I thought Enki was another off shoot of Waldorf, and disregarded it. Then, I came across Enki's web site again. I read some sample pages, and started to salivate for more of the stories of its kind. I was going to just buy the fairytales at first, but the more I read the web site, the more I wanted to be an Enki Family. I had a before purchase consultation with Beth on the phone, and I was sold. I clicked the "Enter" button with no doubt after listening to Beth.

I think each will decide what may work for you and your child/re depending on your life style, beliefs, idea and need for the type of education. Then decide if the price is acceptable or not. You can also buy a part of Enki program, too. If money was an issue, I would probably purchase a la carte, and still happy with it.
#145 of 236 Old 09-16-2008, 06:52 PM

QUOTE: "I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why the price difference between Christopherus and Enki? I have been looking at both programs as well as Waldorf Without Walls. While the Enki stuff looks fantastic (and I can see there is a lot there) the price is more than triple that of Christopherus. Both are supposed to be a full curriculum so why the difference?"

Just wanted to answer your question. The reason is because the Christopherus curriculum (while I love it)--is only one 1.5" spiral bound book. That's it. You can add the music book, and the form drawing book, which each are a nice little overview, of a couple dozen pages, but that about it.

With Enki, it's literally a total library of books--like 12 huge binders full of stuff, plus CD-roms, videos, etc.. More than I could ever use in 2-3 years. And it comes with a consultation from the developer of the curriculum. It is much higher quality, and a more "full" curriculum than I have ever-ever seen.

#146 of 236 Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 PM

Another answer to how is Enki different from Waldorf approaches is that it doesn't hold anthroposophy as its world-view and that was really important to me. I think this matters more in the later years when Waldorf starts to look at various cultural mythologies with an implicit hierarchical (later is better) approach, but I want my children to view each culture's beliefs and stories as "gold."

In second grade, the trickster energy is fully welcomed not tamed. Instead of fables with their moralistic overtones, we read trickster tales. I'm not exactly sure how the saint stories are told, but we read about sages who use their mischievious (7 yo) energy as the source of their compassionate action. They're not taming or controlling that energy; it's just a continuation of their connection to life. This continues when you study animals in 4th grade. Animals are not simply lower beings, they are lovely in their own right. My understanding of hierarchy in anthroposophy is very 19th century. Of course, all of this is a subtle part of Waldorf education, but subtleties matter a lot to me (can you tell that I have a strong melancholic thread, LOL?)

Hope that helps
Angie

#147 of 236 Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
for those who do morning circle, how often do you change the movement activities up? i can't remember right now but i have mine scheduled to change every 2 weeks and switch up the order the 2nd week. but i have a feeling my dd is gonna get "bored" with these same activites next week. i guess i'll just wait and see and if that's what happens we can try going outside for the morning walk or adventure walk.
Just wanted to add that the goal is for your child to sink into these activities and not be searching for novelty. That being said, it can be a long road for our modern children to respond to repetition and you may not be able to make a big jump to that point, but you might want to think about it as a goal. I've added about one thing a week to our first circle just to slowly get up to speed and it seems to be nourishing us all. I do recommend a quick neighborhood walk or bike ride first to get bodies warmed up in a more organic way. Good luck

Angie

#148 of 236 Old 09-23-2008, 01:21 PM

Hi all,
I have been lurking on this thread and I was wondering if I could ask a question. Enki seems perfect for us in almost everyway except for one. We have an early reader and I am worried about how that will work with the K and 1st grade curriculums. If you buy the Grade packages can you mix different parts of different grades or does it just come as is?
Thanks,
Shannon
#149 of 236 Old 09-23-2008, 03:55 PM

I am totally sold on the Enki ideals and that they would work for us. I would love to buy the whole grade one package at once but financially that would be a struggle (we're well funded but have to wait for reimbursement).

Is it possible to buy just the math books to start and add on as we go? I've placed a call to Enki to find out...just haven't heard back yet...so I thought I would see if anyone else "eased" into it rather than buy the whole package.
#150 of 236 Old 09-23-2008, 04:44 PM

I don't think it would work well to get math first and then add other pieces, unless you've already read the Guides. The subject matter won't make much sense unless you've already gone in-depth with the philosophy. So if you need to do it piece-wise, it would make more sense to buy the Guides first, and then the amount you paid for them can be credited toward a whole package later.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page