Enki families~ check in here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2008, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I looked for an Enki thread but maybe it is in the waldorf section.

We are just beginning to use this curriculum very loosely. (my DS is 4yo) I would love to chat with other moms though whose kids are learning through Enki! How long have you been using Enki, how old are your kiddos and how has it affected your lives? Any other thoughts or words of advice? Anyone with kids with sensory issues using Enki? I really love that it is very sensory based for my DS.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM

i was thinking about starting an enki thread. thanks. this will be our first year hsing, starting in the fall. i ordered the enki k now i'm just waiting for it to arrive. my dd will be 5 in july.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing, because I am considering it for my 1st grade son.

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

Old 06-06-2008, 01:38 PM

I just got my Enki kindergarten curriculum in the mail about a month ago and I am reading through the teaching guides now. I don't have time to post anymore right now but I will be back later.

I love this stuff!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:01 PM

We have the teaching guides, and will be buying the rest of the Kindy curriculum as soon as I put together the $ to do so...

I really love what I've read, so far, though.

Will post more later

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
Old 06-16-2008, 05:46 PM

woohoo! i recieved the guides and cd's today. i'm almost finished reading through the little start-up booklet. so exciting.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 PM

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 06-18-2008, 01:00 AM

We have Enki K and are working on integrating it into our lives...

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...
Old 06-18-2008, 10:14 AM

We started with Enki K last fall, but due to a bunch of reaons, my ds ended up in public school for the majority of the year.

Now, we are planning to homeschool with Enki again in the fall. After putting it away and not looking at it for many months, I have just come back to it.

I have a 6.5 yo, 3.5 yo, and 1 yo. We're going to be working on our rhythm this summer and reading some Kindy stories. We'll also do a little painting and finger knitting. Then in the fall, we will start with First Grade with Noah. I'm not sure if Lilah will be in preschool a few mornings or home with us full time. I am thinking I will leave it up to her. I think at this point my preference would be for her to be home. Then I'll let her mainly tag along and do the crafts, which she LOVES. The only challenge will be finding a time to read Noah's grade 1 stories to him without her around. I'm sure we can figure it out though.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:11 AM

We're using Enki. I love it actually. My son turns 5 in Aug and I had a baby last May, so we took it really easy this year. Mainly just finding a good rhythm. Just having a rhythm is changing our lives. Also, the focus on transitions is very, very helpful.

Homeschooling

Roland 08/03
Oscar 05/07

http://pnwlifelearning.blogspot.com/

Old 06-19-2008, 05:09 PM

Hi. We are using Enki K with our 5 yo daughter. I bought it last fall and worked on rhythms, transitions and planning while sort of easing into it during the spring. We formally started in early May and are enjoying it.

Formal circle hasn't been a hit, but that's OK because we work movement verses in throughout the day and the guides have helped me notice and promote other physical play and fun tasks that meet some of the goals of various movement verses. Otherwise, my daughter has enjoyed most of the stories quite a lot as well as the crafts and painting. We still do our own activities (crafts, songs, gardening, swimming, volunteer work at an animal shelter, nature and exercise walks when it's not too hot and dusty, stories and stories and more stories...) to mesh with the Enki ones. We knew going into it that the nature stories wouldn't fit what we have in our part of the world, so I seek out better fits and Enki them up a bit. With a few truly lovely exceptions, the nature stories felt forced and overwritten so I'm OK with skipping most of them. I like the folk/fairy tales and craft stories and, more importantly, so does my daughter.

We also have additional "first" languages/cultures to support so I supplement in other ways important to our family. We'll get more eclectic as we go, but I like the base and resource library this curriculum provides. Establishing a rhythm and working on our transitions also has been extremely helpful. So far, so good!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:13 PM

a couple of questions for you enki families...

1- do you have the official enki recorder or do you use some other recorder?

2- what are you planning to do after your kids age out of enki's offerings?

just wondering.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
a couple of questions for you enki families...

1- do you have the official enki recorder or do you use some other recorder?

2- what are you planning to do after your kids age out of enki's offerings?

just wondering.
We just got back from the Enki conference and workshop. It was fantastic! We went last year as well, and I'm surprised how much I got out of it this time. The girls enjoyed camp and wouldn't stop singing the songs they learned there (same kids that complained about doing circle with me at home). I highly recommend it.

I have the Enki recorders.

We're going into 3rd grade next year (jan 2009) and Beth actually has more material than I thought for that grade. I figured i'll keep doing consultations with Beth when we reach the higher grades and hope that I would be able to put material together in a enki / holistic way.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:43 PM

I had never heard of Enki....I am so sad that my son is in the 5th grade...does it only go to 2nd?
Old 06-22-2008, 12:14 AM

What about an Enki K discussion as we read the manuals?
Anyone interested? There is so much information that I will learn it better in a group setting.

Homeschooling

Roland 08/03
Oscar 05/07

Old 06-22-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numericmama View Post
Anyone interested? There is so much information that I will learn it better in a group setting.
that's a great idea! i'm almost finished with the 1st guide. have you started reading at all?
Old 06-22-2008, 01:46 AM

Yes, I'm reading the Homeschool teaching guide book III right now. But, I don't mind reading 2 things at one time.

Homeschooling

Roland 08/03
Oscar 05/07

Old 06-22-2008, 12:21 PM

oh wow! i would love to go to the conference/workshop/camp next year.

so, do you think the enki recorders are worth getting? i should get one for me and one for my 1st grader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma View Post
We just got back from the Enki conference and workshop. It was fantastic! We went last year as well, and I'm surprised how much I got out of it this time. The girls enjoyed camp and wouldn't stop singing the songs they learned there (same kids that complained about doing circle with me at home). I highly recommend it.

I have the Enki recorders.

We're going into 3rd grade next year (jan 2009) and Beth actually has more material than I thought for that grade. I figured i'll keep doing consultations with Beth when we reach the higher grades and hope that I would be able to put material together in a enki / holistic way.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
oh wow! i would love to go to the conference/workshop/camp next year.

so, do you think the enki recorders are worth getting? i should get one for me and one for my 1st grader?
We plan to go again next year too!

I was having a hard time finding a recorder that fits the description in the guides (1 hole vs 2 in the bottom). I figured it might be hard for dd#1 to cover both holes with her pinky, so I ordered the enki recorders. I know others have ordered other recorders, so I think its up to you. But yes, you'll want to order 2 recorders. Your 1st grader will be playing with you (imitating you).
Old 06-23-2008, 03:13 PM

woohoo, got the rest of my curriculum today! :
Old 06-23-2008, 06:18 PM

yay!!

Old 06-27-2008, 02:22 AM

Most of you probably know already, but I just downloaded the new updates for grade 1. Included are block planners (weekly, monthly, yearly, LA block planning, Math block planners). They look great! Just thought I'd mention it here.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:43 AM

We had been doing a formal circle, but now that it is summer, I am trying to get to the park in the morning. It appears that I don't need to include opening activities, but can just start from the base.

What are you all doing? How do you do base outside if the ground it wet?

Homeschooling

Roland 08/03
Oscar 05/07

Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 AM

yeah, i think those new updates are a big part of what brought me back to enki. they are just what i needed to feel a little more solid in my footing. yay!

numericmama, sorry, i have no answer for you. we are slowly easing into our circle stuff and right now it is only just a walk.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I posted a separate Enki question, can you all read it and reply...pretty please?

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

Old 06-28-2008, 01:03 AM

Here's the link to her questions: http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=922651
Old 06-28-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

yes! I'm in for this. I am reading the early childhood one now

Quote:
Originally Posted by numericmama View Post

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 06-28-2008, 04:47 PM

We used Enki for K and a short time for Grade one. I'm working now so we are switching to the waldorf school this fall. Enki was wonderful for us and I am very sad to leave it behind. Beth was an incredible support for us, the camp was great, consultations incredibly valuable, and ds and dd loved the curriculum. I hope to be able to keep up with the stories, at least, to balance out the eurocentric waldorf curriculum.

Recorders; we were on a tight budget and so got this one rather than the official enki recorder http://store.musicforlittlepeople.com/1276.html
I haven't compared the two but this worked fine for us.

I'm glad to see the block planning materials; I found Grade one pretty confusing and overwhelming, these would have helped me a huge amount.

Hope you don't mind me popping my head in here occasionally; haven't left enki behind completely yet, and who knows, we may come back to it some day too.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM

from page 4!

So I'm about the start the 2nd teaching guide. I really love what I've read so far and think this curriculum is the perfect fit for our family. I love the idea of the enki ecosystem and web. I love the whole section on unity and diversity..and I find it soo so so true.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:20 PM

Oh, and I'm starting to re-think the whole idea of having a specific school "room" the in house.

User Tag List