Give me the good, bad, and ugly on your states laws - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kansas
The good-
The laws are easy. Register the name and address of your non-accredited private school and the name and address of the official custodian of the school's records one time. No further information is required. You can do this through the mail or online. Annual re-registration is not required. If you move you have to update your address.

Record keeping is suggested but not required. Teacher monitoring or testing are not required. No evidence of immunization required.

http://www.ksde.org/Default.aspx?tabid=1684
http://www.kansashomeschool.org/content/view/27/78/

The bad-
If you do not live near a larger city you might have trouble finding homeschool groups near you.
I live in a small town surrounded by rural area and other small towns. There may be other homeschoolers but there really isn't a social network here.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#32 of 49 Old 06-25-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinginMamaTo2 View Post
NC here.
Pretty easy. Letter of intent and yearly standardized test. Attendence and results need to be kept for a year but no one ever asks to see them. Lots of support groups all over the state. Especially Raleigh and Charlotte/Asheville areas. And Asheville is VERY chrunchy!
could you please PM. We're thinking of moving to NC. Thanks!
#33 of 49 Old 06-25-2008, 01:09 PM

Wyoming here! WY is another easy state to homeschool in. Once DS is the compulsory age of attendance (age 7 before Sept. 15th) then I have to send in an outline of our curriculum to the school board once a year. Basically I have heard from my friends that they send in a letter stating that they are homeschooling this year and they are using so and so books. Testing isn't required, and it is very vague on whether attendance should be kept or not. I keep it just in case someone shows up at my door. There is also a law stating that my son can be registered at the local school and take extra curricular activities with the students there. I am thinking about sending him for music and maybe art (I don't like how messy art can be. Yes! I am weird) I really like it here.

Homeschoolers of Wyoming has a yearly conference and we have a huge homeschool group in Cheyenne.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#34 of 49 Old 06-26-2008, 04:40 AM

Texas. We have no rules to follow at all. I love it. Seriously, I love it. No stress and we school as we like, when we like.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#35 of 49 Old 09-04-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to say thanks to all that great information! Many of the states mentioned are possibilities! I just got the final list of states the other day.

I'm going to list the rest below that haven't been mentioned in great extent and if anyone knows anything about these states I'd love to hear from you! I like the perspective of MDC mamas!

Colorado
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
New Mexico
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Utah
West Virgina
Wisconsin

Whew! Thanks for any insight anyone has to offer!
#36 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 12:05 AM

Idaho here.

Nothing required. The legislation requires "180 days of instruction comparable to public school", which is so vague as to mean nothing at all.

No letter of intent. No notification required. Allows philosophical, religious, and medical exemption of vaxing, but it's not an issue, since you don't have to tell or ask anyone about homeschooling.

It's pretty darn easy here.

Needless to say, there's lots of homeschoolers here!
#37 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
Wyoming here! WY is another easy state to homeschool in. Once DS is the compulsory age of attendance (age 7 before Sept. 15th) then I have to send in an outline of our curriculum to the school board once a year. Basically I have heard from my friends that they send in a letter stating that they are homeschooling this year and they are using so and so books. Testing isn't required, and it is very vague on whether attendance should be kept or not. I keep it just in case someone shows up at my door. There is also a law stating that my son can be registered at the local school and take extra curricular activities with the students there. I am thinking about sending him for music and maybe art (I don't like how messy art can be. Yes! I am weird) I really like it here.

Homeschoolers of Wyoming has a yearly conference and we have a huge homeschool group in Cheyenne.

Wyoming here too It really is very easy. I just filed my first NOI this year. We did homeschool Kindergarten last year, but since my oldest wasn't of the compulsory age of attendance, we didn't fill out anything. For certain grades (3rd, 5th, 8th? something like that), you can opt to take the standardized tests, but you don't have to. You just state whether you want to or not. On the forms I got, it mentioned the minimum days required, but said nothing about how to keep track ... lol .. I do think it's nice also that if I choose, my children can participate in extra cirricular activities with the public school (I was thinking of music... I haven't contacted the elementary which my daughter would go to, I should do that soon if I want I suppose).

There is a part where you have to list what you'll be using for schooling... whether it's an online school, specific curriculum or a gathering of bits and pieces from here and there. I think it's basically so they can see whether you are covering the 'core materials' if they choose to look into it.

There's nothing about vaxes or anything (yay)... but I guess I haven't tried to do anything with the public school, so we'll see if that comes up.

Plus, as a teacher now I have the opportunity to attend any workshops/conferences they offer here (maybe elsewhere in the state? I didn't really ask about it much).

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#38 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonedapple View Post
I just wanted to say thanks to all that great information! Many of the states mentioned are possibilities! I just got the final list of states the other day.

I'm going to list the rest below that haven't been mentioned in great extent and if anyone knows anything about these states I'd love to hear from you! I like the perspective of MDC mamas!

Colorado
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
New Mexico
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Utah
West Virgina
Wisconsin

Whew! Thanks for any insight anyone has to offer!
We moved to WI last winter. This is our first year that we'll have to do any official paperwork. We send a form to the state each year and "have to" put in 875 hours. How/if that is checked, I do not know. We're learning all the time, so it's not going to be hard to do, that's for sure. That's it. Pretty easy.
#39 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maryland has been easy for us. There's no testing required. No vaccinations. We choose to go through the state, so we have a "portfolio review" once or twice a year where I show them what the kids are working on.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#40 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 05:32 PM

Indiana has no regulations. There is a suggestion that you register with the DOE. They are not allowed to ask for any proof. You are supposed to 'keep attendance' and produce it if asked. We were never asked and, um, my response would be 'everyday is school day.'

We've moved to Maryland recently and as PP said, not hard, just register with the state. But we've chosen instead of submitting to review with the school system (portfolio review) to enroll with an 'umbrella school.' We only need to meet with them 2x per year (can be done at field trips organized by the umbrella group) to fulfill the requirements and NO school officials are in our business. (There are many umbrella groups and church schools on the approved list. This group is specifically unschool-oriented, non-religious and really awesome.)

As for DC, they just passed laws that seem like a photocopy of Maryland's law, with the addition of needing special approval to homeschool if the parent does not have a hs diploma or GED.

Maryhippie.gif

#41 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 06:28 PM

Alaska is pretty lax. If you just want to go it on your own without gov't interference I don't think you have to do anything at all.

If you want to enroll in one of the distance education learning programs that are funded by the state you just have to write a learning plan at the beginning of the year, provide quarterly work samples in the subjects being taught and submit student evaluations using the grading standards of the parent's choice. At 3rd grade the student needs to participate in standardized testing but the results don't have any affect on the student being allowed to continue homeschooling or not. It sounds like a lot but it's pretty simple.. and in return each student gets an allotment of between $1200 to $1800 (depending on grade) a year to spend on curriculum material and supplies of the parent's choice. (secular only) Plus a home computer and scanner/copier/printer/fax machine.

I know some people have objections to participating in such a program but we really like it. We don't have extra money to spend on schooling materials and this makes a huge difference.. It's actually a big reason that I think we're going to try and stay in AK instead of moving away to a warmer state.:

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#42 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellasMommy View Post
We moved to WI last winter. This is our first year that we'll have to do any official paperwork. We send a form to the state each year and "have to" put in 875 hours. How/if that is checked, I do not know. We're learning all the time, so it's not going to be hard to do, that's for sure. That's it. Pretty easy.
WI's compulsory attendance law covers kids from age 6 until age 18. So...you have to send in a form for them (PI-1206) by October 15th of the school year where they turn 6 on or before September 1 and until the end of the semester/quarter they turn 18.

The form is actually pretty simple because you don't have to provide names or birthdates or anything like that. You just have to indicate the number of males/females in each grade or you can indicate the number of males/females in two ungraded categories.

You can actually see a sample of the form online.

There are lots of great support groups - both statewide and locally. My fave is the Wisconsin Parent's Association. They have lots of good info on their website and a very helpful handbook.
#43 of 49 Old 09-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinginMamaTo2 View Post
NC here.
Pretty easy. Letter of intent and yearly standardized test. Attendence and results need to be kept for a year but no one ever asks to see them. Lots of support groups all over the state. Especially Raleigh and Charlotte/Asheville areas. And Asheville is VERY chrunchy!
ditto. I didn't realize that about Asheville. Too bad I live too far.

The only thing about our state that I don't like is that there aren't any public schools that allow homeschoolers to take classes, not even high school (at least not in our area of NC). Plus, there are no online courses that can be taken through the schools to get credits like a lot of other states offer.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#44 of 49 Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 AM

Utah is super easy. Just a letter of intent every year, and that's all. No vax requirements. Another thing I like about Utah (and Idaho, for that matter) is that they allow for dual enrollment. So, if I am homeschooling, but I really want my child to take band, or french or shop class through the school, I am allowed to enroll her in just that one class at school and then continue on my happy homeschooling way.

, , , and
#45 of 49 Old 09-20-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

We just found out this morning that we relocating. We haven't accepted any positions, and I need to complete my homeschool criteria search, I still have a few locations that are possible but no clue on their laws. Anyone have a good basis on searching? For instance I usually find the govt site with their regulations but it's seriously greek to me, and I'm feeling overwhelmed trying to understand legal jumble.

West Virgina
South Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
New Mexico
Illinois
Colorado

Anyone know on these? Or know how to find out online without legal jargon?
#46 of 49 Old 09-20-2008, 05:13 PM

I live in Illinois...one of the only things I like about this state is their "liberal homeschooling policy".....I don't need to report/count days/send anything in.. compulsory school age is 7 ............I had a list at one time that requires we teach xyz subjects and they are to be done in English....guess I forgot the rest LOL. Some help I am!

I am concerned that in the future things will change in this state and we may be required to do things or be monitored so there is a bit of concern in that aspect.

:energ y
#47 of 49 Old 09-20-2008, 07:06 PM

This site has a "brief summary" in the info for each state's laws. Hope that helps!

http://www.nhen.org/leginfo/state_list.asp
#48 of 49 Old 09-20-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! That site is perfect! I kept looking them up one by one and reading Sect 1A.34Z.S.U.C.K.S. and herethyby thou art... was making my sleep deprived head implode. You've made my day, thank you!
#49 of 49 Old 09-21-2008, 09:47 AM

I just want to clarify something-- homeschooling in PA is a lot easier than the laws would have you believe; If it wasn't, there wouldn't be so many homeschoolers. Yes, there is a testing requirement for grades 3, 5, and 8; You'd be amazaed at how many homeschooled children in this state repeat the second grade and move right on to fourth. The compulsory attendance age is, as stated, 8-- by September 15th. This means that if your child's birthday is September 16th, you don't have to start reporting until they're damn near nine. Moreover, compulsory attendance is only up to 8th grade in PA. If you can demonstrate that your child has completed the eighth grade, you're no longer required to report jack. That means that some people are only legally required to report for four years, and nobody's actually required to report for more than six. Your child won't have a high school diploma if you do this, but for lots of people that's just fine.

You do have to be aware of the laws and your rights within them. It doesn't take much to be compliant, and if your local district requests more of you you're well within your rights to write a letter explicitly stating the law and demonstrating that you are in compliance. That said, many people choose noncompliance and I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for this.

PA also has more cyber charter schools than any other state. The advantage to this is that you're not subject to any of the homeschooling laws; The disadvantage is that legally, your child is a public school student and is thus subject to the applicable laws. It works for some people, it doesn't work for others.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page