How to do a Post-card exchange? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-18-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!
I'm only looking to get ideas here--not an actual exchange yet.

Our small HS co-op has decided to focus on US states next year and I was thinking it would be fun if we could get folks to send us postcards from different states (and the kids could send them ones from our state).
Anybody know, or have any ideas, on how we might go about that?

Thanks!
Juliette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-18-2008, 10:19 PM

There are a large number of yahoo groups that facilitate this for homeschoolers or the general public.

You might find what you want there.
hth
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#3 of 7 Old 07-18-2008, 11:18 PM

If you want to concentrate on other home schoolers for the exchange, is there any kind of national organizations you can start with? Maybe they have a newsletter or something you could post an advert in?

I did a world wide postcard exchange for awhile called post crossing. It was interesting and I received postcards from all over the world. So it is something that is do-able.

And it does sound like fun! Good luck!
#4 of 7 Old 07-19-2008, 12:39 PM

I was thinking about doing a postcard exchange for my DD (she is a 2nd grader) this year as well. I think I am going to make a chart w/ all the states on it. Then I am going to ask friends and family to send a post card to her so we can track how many we get on the chart. Of course we will see where the states are located on the map as well. I was thinking of getting a map to color and color in each state as we receive a card. I figured I will as for help from online friends as well to get more states.

We would love to send post cards back to people so keep us in mind when you start your project.
#5 of 7 Old 07-19-2008, 02:34 PM

We are in this group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/postcardkids/

My son has a map postcard from every state except Rhode Island. That seems to be a really hard state to get a card from, especially a map card. He also has cards from Canada and a few other countries. We have a big map on the wall and when a postcard comes in we find it on the map. This is helping my son learn where the states are located. He also has a smaller map that we colored in the state when we got a card from it.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#6 of 7 Old 07-19-2008, 02:50 PM

is there a yahoo group for homeschool penpals too??? my kids want pen pals so badly - but every time we get one, the other famliy flakes out!!! they write one time (if that!!). it's SO annoying!!! is there a yahoo group i can join to find reliable penpals for my kids???

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#7 of 7 Old 07-19-2008, 02:56 PM

There is a link on our postcard group for kids who want to have penpals as well.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page