How did you decide to homeschool/unschool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-22-2003, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is almost three and I have been considering the homeschool option for many reasons, but am having a hard time deciding. What helped you to make your decision? Poor school system? Uncomfortable with safety at school? Child's personality (if possible, please be specific if this was a factor)? Always wanted to?

Also, are there any books you recommend is helping me with this decision? How do I know if it's right for me?

I don't know what holds me back more, that I was not hs nor anyone I know or that we would be "different" from all family and friends. We already are in so many ways (this is a very conservative area of the country) like bf-ing, co-sleeping, food issues, that I don't want dd to feel different in a negative way.

I could go on and on, but I think I'll stop and hope to hear from some of you. Thank you very much for any input you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-22-2003, 02:05 AM

Hi Keri!

I've just always wanted to HS my children. The thought of sending them to public/private school turns my stomach. I believe that dh and I are the best teachers for our children..not a stranger. Yes, I know there are many great teachers out there who would do a good job teaching my children..but my children are MY responsibility.

There are so many other reasons we chose to HS. The quality of education we want for them, knowing exactly what they are learning and when they are learning it, opportunities for more hands-on learning, exposing them to a world beyond 4-walls and same-aged peers ALL day, etc!

For our family it was the right decision and we never thought twice about sending them to public/private school.
#3 of 9 Old 10-22-2003, 02:57 AM

I read some of John Holt's books. "Teach Your Own," "How Children Fail" and "How Children Learn" I also read Growing Without Schooling newsletters, but they aren't being published anymore. I think you might be able to get back issues and I assure you they are worth the read.

I like to think of our choice to home educate in positive terms rather than negitive ones. Such as the fact that we can provide a positive enviroment that nurtures our values rather than focusing on what poor enviroments institutional schools provide.

I think that the child's personality does play a role in one's decisions about education. I have 7 children, all with different and unique personalities and I have found that an unschooling approach fits each one better than any other educational philosophy. Afterall, it is taylor made for each child individually!
#4 of 9 Old 10-22-2003, 11:00 AM

After reveiwing my 9 year old with autism report cards, I decided to pull him out of school because I could see that they were pushing this stuff way to fast for him to comprehend and he was falling behind rapidly.

They only care about how many of the SOL's they push thru to these kids and don't give a rat's a$$ if any of these kids even are beginnning to understand what is being thrown at them.

Besides, it really bothers me that my kids are getting "profiled" by their "journals" and library books. I don't like it that the feds feel they have a right to know that my 6 year checked Peter Pan out of the libray. It is none of their business!

I will be pulling my 6 year old out once Daniel and I get into a groove of what works for us. More than likely by christmas.

Besides I read that if we go into "code red" with this terror alert stuff that our children in school may be taken to an undisclosed location. NOT MY KIDS! (the feds are already practicing this!) Another reason to homeschool!

http://www.propagandamatrix.com/red_..._be_a_prisoner

http://infowars.com/print_sovietschools.htm

(maybe I'm becoming paranoid - but better than the possiblity of having my kids taken from me and taken to fema enslavement camps)
#5 of 9 Old 10-23-2003, 12:28 AM

All people should be as free as possible to spend their time as they like and to learn what is relevant and valuable to their lives as individuals. I think that most people who have an enriching, happy life would not choose to spend most of their waking life sitting still and quiet at a desk under fluorescent lights all day, forced to listen to someone try to drill into them information that may not be interesting or pertinent or developmentally appropriate for them, restricted from eating or drinking or talking or asking questions or moving about or emptying their bladders or staying home without doing it at approved times or without having received special permission or without having an excuse, and required to spend their personal, private time *after* school doing schoolwork.
#6 of 9 Old 10-25-2003, 09:35 PM

#7 of 9 Old 10-27-2003, 12:48 AM

Another good book to read is Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense by David Guterson, who happens to be a high School English teacher and best selling author.
#8 of 9 Old 10-27-2003, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by teachinmaof3
Hi Keri!

I've just always wanted to HS my children. The thought of sending them to public/private school turns my stomach. I believe that dh and I are the best teachers for our children..not a stranger. Yes, I know there are many great teachers out there who would do a good job teaching my children..but my children are MY responsibility.

There are so many other reasons we chose to HS. The quality of education we want for them, knowing exactly what they are learning and when they are learning it, opportunities for more hands-on learning, exposing them to a world beyond 4-walls and same-aged peers ALL day, etc!

For our family it was the right decision and we never thought twice about sending them to public/private school.
I really like that! This is exactly how I feel. My children are my responsibility. Homeschooling for us was, is just an extension of our attachment parenting. Ellie was shy and so playful, as well as needing lots of one on one time, I couldn't imagine sending her to school all day. She needed ME and I am so glad I was open enough to hear that. We direct, or don't, our day. She loves to read, be read to, play with her dolls, her brother, the cutest doll of all and I try to keep it simple. It is a learning process for us all.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#9 of 9 Old 10-27-2003, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We've decided to homeschool our kids because:

* Most kids in public school can manage to graduate without knowing how to balance a checkbook or change a tire.
* We don't want to be slaves to the school's schedule. We can do "school" at 10am or 5pm, whatever works for us.
* We never have to miss the Free First Thursdays at the art museum because our evening is too busy.
* My kids can learn at their own pace.
* We can lean in a couple hours what school takes all day to teach.
* If our method of teaching isn't working, we can change it to something that does.
* The ability to do school in the evening on nice days so we can hang out at the playground in the daytime.
* Going to the library before it gets all crowded after school.
* I want to continue to be the one raising my children even after they hit "school age," not just hand them over to a bunch of people I don't even know.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page