CLE math vs. Rod and Staff math - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-27-2008, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm thinking of having ds (7) do either CLE or R&S math in between years of Singapore, since he seems to be going through the third grade Singapore stuff so quickly. Is there anyone here who's used both and can compare them?

Or if you've used one of them, can you tell me the pros and cons of it?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 6 Old 07-27-2008, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have not used CLE, but i did purchase rod & staff grade 1 this year for my dd. it's excellent. it is very textbook/workbook, but my dd LOVES math presented this way. we tried saxon k with all of the manipulatives....there was no writing, etc. but she hated it!! however, with R&S you could easily incorporate manipulatives if needed...which is cool.

we've not started R&S yet but i know she is going to love it!!! last year we used math mammoth and she really liked it a lot (and this is very similar imo). i only switched because i wanted a better teacher guide (which R&S has really wonderful ideas to support each lesson!!). hth!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 07-27-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

How long does it take you to do one of their lessons?

#4 of 6 Old 07-27-2008, 10:41 PM

well, we've not started yet. but each lesson is a front and back worksheet. that's it. lesson 1 for example is basic K review. the front of the worksheet is writing the number "0", & the back of the worksheet has dominoes - but the child need only write "0" where the domino represents zero.

The teacher guide has several ideas for each lesson. For ex. lesson 1: You start off counting 1-20 with a visual aid...showing the students each number as you count aloud. Then you all practice writing zero in the air. Then show your children a brown paper bag. Ask them what is in it? nothing. Hold the bag upside down and shake it. Again, explain that nothing is in the bag. Zero means nothing. Nothing at all. You can have a flannel board with a duck pond & ducks (which I'll just use our lucky ducks game) and show that no ducks are swimming. Zero means nothing. Then do the 2 workksheets. Lesson is done.

The review stuff is easy for sure, but the curriculum is very thorough imo and does not stay like that. By lesson 6 you're doing less than & greater than...then lots of addition....by lesson 60 - you're doing money...then you move into time....fractions....subtraction...etc. there are 2 student workbooks with 170 lessons total (2 pages per lesson). i think i paid $35 with shipping for the student books, teacher book, and speed drills book. if you have specific questions, i'd be happy to answer them. hth!

#5 of 6 Old 07-27-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Which site did you order it from?

Is the first grade set what you're using? (I don't see kindy stuff in their catalog, other than the "Counting with Numbers" book)

#6 of 6 Old 07-27-2008, 10:48 PM

they don't have kindergarten. we purchased first grade (which my dd will be in). here's the site i used: http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list..._Series/#131--

i ordered the first grade math set but you can purchase items individually if needed or wanted.

hth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page