Help me take the plunge into homeschooling! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-28-2008, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a SAHM to a 4 yo boy and a 6 mo girl. Both children have always been at home with me.

I have been very challenged by the 4 yo, who is spirited and a real handful. Before he was born, DH and I said we would like to homeschool, but as I realized how difficult it was being with DS 24 hours a day, we began to think perhaps montessori school would be a good fit for us. We have DS enrolled for montessori preschool starting next month, but several recent financial disasters have made it clear that we may not be able to afford it. On one hand, I think perhaps this is the nudge I need to force me to give homeschooling a good try, but I also think that if I was miraculously handed $5000 for tuition, I'd honestly send him to preschool.

I should also add that we found ourselves rather unexpectedly pregnant last year, after my husband's vasectomy. So now I have a 6 month old baby to care for as well. I am coping well and finally getting in the swing of having two kids, but I'll admit that some days I feel totally overwhelmed.

I will say that I think the montessori school would be wonderful for my DS. He really likes it there and has been saying, "I like school!” when he normally says “NO!” to absolutely anything new. I don’t think of sending him to school as an opportunity to “send him away” or “get him out of my hair.” I truly want what’s best for him. Part of me thinks that sending him to this school will be great for him.

We do get out and do stuff a lot, but he’s so often bored at home while I am trying to take care of baby. We used to have a great network of other SAHM moms, but they’ve all had their kids in school for years now. I’m struggling not only to find him playmates, but also to keep sanity for myself. Some days I don’t talk to a grown-up all day and it’s really hard on me. Also, DS mopes around alot saying, "won't anyone play with me?" And I do try to play with him as much as possible.

Part of me thinks homeschooling would be great and lots of fun, and other times I feel so completely overwhelmed at the possibility of working with a 4 yo while trying to juggle a baby and household tasks. And I think he does need to be engaged and challenged more than he is now.

I have mentioned to my mama friends that we are thinking of having DS at home another year, and they all think I’m crazy. They are all scheming for me to send him to school, that I am crazy for even contemplating it.

So those of you who homeschool, how do you care for babies and keep the little ones engaged? How did you initially feel when you started homeschooling and how do you keep your sanity?
#2 of 3 Old 07-29-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I should also add that we found ourselves rather unexpectedly pregnant last year, after my husband's vasectomy.
Oh, my. Lucky you! We are in a similar situation right now because we are contemplating a third but I have double-ovulation every month so the chances are good for some maternal twins. And that would be a bit much now. So, we're stalling while we decide what to do. After reading your comments, I just pictured us having twins and then having another pair after my DH's vasectomy. : We'd be like the Brady Bunch, or something. We're Roman Catholic but that would still be a bit much for me, especially as my pregnancies are all nightmarish and my kids are WILD :.

I usually just let the little one run wild (within reason) while I'm busy with the older one. It takes the older one and I about 30 minutes to repair the house afterwards but it's worth it. Or I give her something similar to do while we're working (like if he's writing, she's drawing with crayons). Also, I move some of the "studies" (he's only in preschool so it's not much) to her naptime.

I get up really early in the morning to do housework and get some quiet time of my own, as well.

Cheers, Vanessa
#3 of 3 Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 AM

I home school my newly 6 year old dd and have a one year old ds. For me, homeschooling with 2 has just been part of learning to parent 2- I give dd my undivided attention while the baby is asleep- and I give ds some one on one time while she is allowed to watch an educational show or use the computer. I try to plan things we can all do together. I personally unschool, so I don't have to stress about lessons as much- we use a lot of educational toys, computer games, tv shows and whatever comes to hand.

Also- if you can afford them, outside classes like kindermusik or gymnastics can be nice for giving your son some interaction with others, and may help you find others who aren't in school. I'd also do library story times and other local free activities- our area has a number of things for preschoolers if you hunt for them Remember- just because you are homeschooling, it doesn't mean you have to stay at home.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page