When using workbooks/sheets, do you use the original or make a copy and use the copy? (portfolio) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-19-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For math and writing workbooks and tear off sheets, do you make a copy and use the copy or tear off the original sheet and use it? I saw a one person who copied and have her son use the copy version and save the book untouched however I don't have a copier or scanner and was wondering what I should do.
For saving the sheets in the portfolio, which method do you use?
If you use the copies, what do you do with the book? Is it worth saving them for the next child (in 3-4 years for me)?

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#2 of 13 Old 08-19-2008, 02:04 PM

When we put together DS's portfolio, we sent in the original of anything we didn't care about keeping and copies of anything we did. For example, the orginals of his math were sent in, but any really good writing we copied.
#3 of 13 Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM

It depends. We have two workbooks this year we won't be writing in. It's cheaper to make the few copies needed. Things like math...it costs as much to make the copies as it does to buy a brand new workbook (or more!) so no, we won't. I would only make copies to be able to resell/reuse the book, but if I'm paying double the price to make back 1/4...that's pretty bad math no matter how you look at it.
#4 of 13 Old 08-19-2008, 03:36 PM

I guess I didn't really do the math . I make copies, since DD is right on DS's tail. This year she's using his workbook from last year, so I just started making copies so we'd have the workbooks to reuse.

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#5 of 13 Old 08-19-2008, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you're paying to make copies, it can end up costing more to make copies than to just buy the book again for the next child.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 13 Old 08-19-2008, 04:47 PM

If it is something that is cheap and readily available, I just use the originals. But if it is a workbook that is hard to get or expensive then I make copies and save the workbook.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
#7 of 13 Old 08-19-2008, 06:50 PM

If it's less than $20 I use the workbook, more than $20 I make copies.

Anymore, I almost always use the workbooks- copies are expensive! I have a inkjet all in one that I can use, but the ink drives me nuts- it dries out before it runs out and costs a fortune to replace. I also have a cheap black and white laser, but it's a pain to scan with one thing, save, send to the printer for every page. And as far as going somewhere to make copies, no thanks. I'll just buy another cheap workbook!

-Kristi
#8 of 13 Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 PM

This year I've bought page protectors that open on the side, and plan to have my ds use a dry erase marker, so we can use the books again with dd in a couple years, and then sell. I'm not usually so frugal, but these workbooks look like he could breeze through several pages, with little or no writing (k level math), so we'll see how it works. That doesn't help in terms of portfolio, though.
#9 of 13 Old 08-19-2008, 09:32 PM

I used to use originals. However, I just bought some expensive workbooks and I would like to reuse them for my younger dc. It's expensive enough buying stuff for one kid and I can't imagine what it will cost to buy for 2 and then 3. So, I'd like to save my workbooks now. I don't have a scanner/copier right now....so I'll be going to the library or Kinkos(or the like) to make copies. I've told DH that I want a copier/scanner asap.
#10 of 13 Old 08-19-2008, 10:10 PM

I, too, use the originals: It costs too much to make copies.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#11 of 13 Old 08-20-2008, 02:41 AM

I use the originals and buy the workbooks again for the littler one. Copies are too expensive and the workbooks I buy usually aren't terribly costly.

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#12 of 13 Old 08-20-2008, 05:11 AM

I read that it is illegal to make copies of consumable items like workbooks, even for personal use. So we just write in the workbooks. I've never had to make a portfolio, though. I imagine copying a worksheet that has already been filled out is different than copying the sheets to enable multiple uses or resale.
#13 of 13 Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 AM

I make copies of things that I will be able to use with a younger sibling but the youngest writes in hers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page