Do you make a big deal about Kindergarten and the First Day of School? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-21-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're a little different in that we're not totally homeschooling by choice, my son is home due to the fact that he's medically fragile. He's 5 and would be starting kindergarten this year, but he's on the district's Home & Hospital program with an in-home teacher who comes by 5 hours/week.

I feel a little sad that he's missing out on the First Day Of School, and the whole big Kindergarten transition. I have such great memories of that day, complete with pictures of me in my new outfit and new haircut all ready to get on the bus. Should I still make a big deal out of starting school this year, and make note of the fact that he's a kindergartener now? How should I help this feel special to him (and to me too)?
#2 of 6 Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 AM

I say why not?
we aren't making a big deal out of it simply b/c mostly we feel like unschoolers.

However since your son is technically entering K go ahead and get him the haircut. Take his picture with the apple and his teacher.
If kids take a bus maybe he can get a bus ride one day...not sure if he is allowed medically to do that or not though.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#3 of 6 Old 08-21-2008, 01:38 AM

When we started K with our twins last year, we were way up in the mountains in a remote setting, yet we tried to mark the day by getting them some new, inscribed books and taking their pictures in front of the cabin. Honestly, this was what my dh wanted to do, I am not sentimental that way, but it was important to him for the same reasons that it is important to you, probably. I think that based on your feelings, you should go for it.
#4 of 6 Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 AM

yea, we celebrate back to school here....but we make big deals about a lot of stuff though "we're going to the movies today - THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME...CAN'T WAIT!! WAHOO!!!"

as for making it seem special, that just depends on jackson. my dd loves back to school shopping - so we get her new notebooks, back pack, lunch pail, etc. then we take a picture the first day of school and go out for supper that night (which is a big deal for us - lol).

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#5 of 6 Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 AM

We like celebrating. On our first day, we usually go out for breakfast.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#6 of 6 Old 08-21-2008, 12:08 PM

I think if you are feeling sad about not having something to celebrate the start of school, by all means, do something special! Buy a new outfit, get haircuts, have a new book(s), new pencils and crayons, take pictures, make your son's favorite meal to celebrate the day over dinner.

I can understand falling into hs-ing and really missing going to school-- that is what happened to us due to a horrible teacher at ds school. But I can assure you that this also has been a great and surprising journey, too. There is much joy and happiness and good times to make good memories along this path.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page