Little Acorn Learning or Seasons of Joy?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! I just got it, she actually sent it this morning!
#32 of 51 Old 08-30-2008, 01:14 AM

Just to add another to the mix, I really like this one:
http://www.earthschooling.com
#33 of 51 Old 09-04-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
Just to add another to the mix, I really like this one:
http://www.earthschooling.com
i joined there mailing list which looks good but it didn't really say much about the product you would purchase... can you tell us something about it?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#34 of 51 Old 09-19-2008, 01:39 PM

Could someone who has SOJ and LA advise me? I have a 7yo and 2yo, would this be too young for my 7yo?
Thanks!!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#35 of 51 Old 09-19-2008, 06:49 PM

Well we've been doing Little Acorn for a few weeks now so I can give my review of it

I only have one "complaint" (if you'd even call it that). For us, there isn't enough ideas for the price. The ideas that are in there are wonderful and have been so much fun. My son loves it! But the circle-time doesn't take long and once we've read some books and done our nature walk there really is only one "activity" per day. Of course, that doesn't include the rhythm of the day (daily chores, etc) but if there were just a few more activities to do throughout the day, I'd be happier. It's $25 a month (give or take) so I do wish there was a little more for the money. Like I said though, the ideas in there are great, the curriculum itself is beautiful and it's very flexible and geared toward a wide range of ages.

I have a friend doing Seasons of Joy and apparently that one has much more material. Downside is you have to pick and choose what you want to do for the week (rather than having that done for you) but there are quite a few more ideas. What I will probably do is end up using both. I will probably use Little Acorn for our "core" (because I really love it) and then use SOJ as the supplement to add ideas where the other lacks.

I hope I was able to help. That's just my view of it all

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
#36 of 51 Old 09-19-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife1219 View Post
Well we've been doing Little Acorn for a few weeks now so I can give my review of it

I only have one "complaint" (if you'd even call it that). For us, there isn't enough ideas for the price. The ideas that are in there are wonderful and have been so much fun. My son loves it! But the circle-time doesn't take long and once we've read some books and done our nature walk there really is only one "activity" per day. Of course, that doesn't include the rhythm of the day (daily chores, etc) but if there were just a few more activities to do throughout the day, I'd be happier. It's $25 a month (give or take) so I do wish there was a little more for the money. Like I said though, the ideas in there are great, the curriculum itself is beautiful and it's very flexible and geared toward a wide range of ages.

I have a friend doing Seasons of Joy and apparently that one has much more material. Downside is you have to pick and choose what you want to do for the week (rather than having that done for you) but there are quite a few more ideas. What I will probably do is end up using both. I will probably use Little Acorn for our "core" (because I really love it) and then use SOJ as the supplement to add ideas where the other lacks.

I hope I was able to help. That's just my view of it all
This is what I do as well. Little Acorn is our jumping off point or "core" and I use SOJ, and other Waldorf books: Earthways, Heaven on Earth, All Year Round, etc. as well as religious books/materials (we're Catholic) to fill in.

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
#37 of 51 Old 09-20-2008, 11:49 AM

What is the approximate age range for both LA and SoJ?

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#38 of 51 Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepypeanutsmom View Post
Could someone who has SOJ and LA advise me? I have a 7yo and 2yo, would this be too young for my 7yo?
Thanks!!
I have a 7yo and a 2yo also and I just printed out LA's sample week. It looks like something my 7yo will definitely enjoy. I'm not sure about SOJ as I can't seem to find a sample. I may just purchase the whole thing and then use LA as an example of how to lay out my weeks. We're also using Oak Meadow with my 7yo for now, but I'd rather do Christopherus with her. I'm waiting until I can sell OM before I purchase Christopherus though.

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#39 of 51 Old 09-26-2008, 03:06 AM

well, if nothing else, this thread has given me MORE to think about!

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#40 of 51 Old 10-02-2008, 06:17 AM

so excited! I just ordered SOJ to try with my 2 year old. thanks for all of your input!!!
#41 of 51 Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 AM

oh---what do you all think of the menu/meal prep from LA? I am considering this as well. tia!
#42 of 51 Old 10-17-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynsMomma View Post
oh---what do you all think of the menu/meal prep from LA? I am considering this as well. tia!
Do you have to prepare meals they give you or is it a system to help prep meals you already have on the menu?
#43 of 51 Old 10-17-2008, 07:57 PM

With October 1/2 over already - would it be worth the money to order SOJ or should i wait until Winter?

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#44 of 51 Old 10-20-2008, 02:12 AM

Just Ordered Seasons of Joy for my 2 and 4 year old and hopefully my 6 year old will enjoy it also

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls
#45 of 51 Old 10-20-2008, 08:53 PM

I already have the SOJ ones and went ahead and bought Oct from LA. I really like the mix of them... LA is nice because I need the structure a week by week outlines gives me but it's so nice to be able to incorporate more ideas from SOJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
With October 1/2 over already - would it be worth the money to order SOJ or should i wait until Winter?
SOJ you can buy the summer, spring, fall, and winter at anytime. no need to wait. I have all four and went ahead and started the winter one as it snowed here on sept 28th!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

#46 of 51 Old 10-21-2008, 01:36 PM

So from what I gather, SOJ is not as good for older kids? My oldest is almost 7...and we have a 5, 4, 2 yr old as well.

Is LA better for this age group then? I need someone to do the work for me...I'm pregnant and tired, due in december, and not in the mood to do much other than sit and sleep And after babe comes and winter hits full force I'll be less inclined to do anything. So it seems using LA would be best for our family? Any advice?

Is december coming out soon for LA? I think I will buy the 3 pack (sept, oct, nov) and just save for next year. Or is that a waste? I didn't see an option to buy Nov. seperate yet.....

How does OM compare? So far we use things here and there for academic stuff for the 5 and 6 yr old...but I have no motivation and lack it bad b/c of this tiring pregnancy. I assume LA is to supplement the academic type stuff we do (reading, math, writing, etc) Am I right about that?
#47 of 51 Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Lemon Juice,

i would say any of them would work fine with a 7 yr old. none of them are really geared for anyone younger then 4 really. a three year old might be able to do some of it but my near two year old skips most everything in them right now.

I would say LA is way more laid program out for you so you just do what it says and check it off the list (+ whatever else you do and the more 'academic-y stuff)

Oak meadows is nice I have their preschool program too, I don't believe it has any laid out plans until the 1rst grade so very well may be a good choice for your seven yr old but maybe not so much for the younger set if you are looking for something a bit more structured.

SOJ though has lots of fun activity's and songs to do with kids that even your older child would probably like but is not structured so you would have to put the days plans together yourself...

I hope that helps

#48 of 51 Old 11-14-2008, 01:17 AM

blah. ignore random post.

why oh why can't you delete?

#49 of 51 Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
blah. ignore random post.

why oh why can't you delete?
Because, you never know when something needs a
#50 of 51 Old 11-14-2008, 01:38 AM

So can you do these without major amounts of singing? I'll do it, but its not really my thing.
#51 of 51 Old 11-17-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
So can you do these without major amounts of singing? I'll do it, but its not really my thing.
you could... just do the crafty projects... or maybe use the songs as more of a verse/poem rather then a song. of if your kids are older have them make up their own songs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page