Little Acorn Learning or Seasons of Joy?? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Learning at Home and Beyond > Little Acorn Learning or Seasons of Joy??
macimom's Avatar macimom 06:02 PM 08-21-2008
Has anyone used either of these? Is one better than the other? I'm considering the autumn program for my 4yo. and 2yo.

Thanks!

daisymommy's Avatar daisymommy 06:28 PM 08-21-2008
Hands down Seasons of Joy! For two months payment of Little Acorn you could have the entire 4 season set of Seasons of Joy. And it's much better, much more full of everything than L.A. too.
kittywitty's Avatar kittywitty 11:06 PM 08-21-2008
I have Seasons of Joy and it's great but haven't tried Little Acorns.
coleslaw's Avatar coleslaw 01:04 PM 08-22-2008
Could someone give me a link for where I can look at Seasons of Joy. I've googled, amazon'ed and rainbow resourced'd and can't find it. Thanks!
macimom's Avatar macimom 01:41 PM 08-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Could someone give me a link for where I can look at Seasons of Joy. I've googled, amazon'ed and rainbow resourced'd and can't find it. Thanks!
Here you go...

http://naturalfamily.50megs.com/whats_new.html
onyxravnos's Avatar onyxravnos 06:43 PM 08-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
Hands down Seasons of Joy! For two months payment of Little Acorn you could have the entire 4 season set of Seasons of Joy. And it's much better, much more full of everything than L.A. too.
i just found little acorns yesterday but seasons of joy is new to me...
have you also used little acorns?
daisymommy's Avatar daisymommy 01:45 AM 08-23-2008
Yes I have, and it is good, but there just isn't that much material in for that price. Season's of Joy has like 100x the material as Little Acorn.
macimom's Avatar macimom 08:52 AM 08-23-2008
Quote:
Thank you, this helps! I can't wait to try it.
coleslaw's Avatar coleslaw 11:37 AM 08-23-2008
Thanks for the link! One more question - what is the age range for these programs. Is 2 too young? I wasn't looking for anything for him since he is so young and can just do playdough or coloring and such, but this looks fun!
daisymommy's Avatar daisymommy 07:14 PM 08-23-2008
Season's of Joy has a few pages of "just for baby" in it, some for the toddler crowd (2 yrs.) and more for preschool and up.

Little Acorn advertises for 4 and up.
AngelBee's Avatar AngelBee 07:50 PM 08-23-2008
Both are MDC mams. I have heard great things about both programs.
AutumnMama's Avatar AutumnMama 08:29 PM 08-23-2008
I just ordered Little Acorn, and it looks really good. But now I want Seasons of Joy too!
I really like the way Little Acorn is set up, I feel like I need someone to really lay out a schedule for me like that (at least for now).

How does Seasons of Joy work? Is it easy to set up a week/month? I don't want to spend half my weekend planning the following week, you know?

Maybe I'll just buy the Autumn to compare....
moms222's Avatar moms222 01:59 AM 08-24-2008
or no?

thanks,
moms222
lovinlife1219's Avatar lovinlife1219 02:08 AM 08-24-2008
I just received my Little Acorn curriculum for September yesterday and just thumbing through it I already it and am so excited to begin it with my 4-yr old son. I hadn't ever heard of Seasons of Joy but I will check out the website. I only bought one month of the LA so that I could see how it meshes with our family but I will update once we start it. It does seem lovely from what I've read though

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either of them. I am just glad to have this sort of curriculum available! Way better than the other more mainstream ones that I had looked at

GL!
beansricerevolt's Avatar beansricerevolt 03:34 AM 08-24-2008
:
chfriend's Avatar chfriend 11:03 AM 08-24-2008
I got a Seasons of Joy way back when. It would def work for a young 5.Don't know anything about Little Acorns...
beansricerevolt's Avatar beansricerevolt 11:57 AM 08-24-2008
Is there a way I can see a sample of Seasons of Joy?
I know Little Acorn has a sample week & it looks good.
daisymommy's Avatar daisymommy 03:03 PM 08-24-2008
Seasons of Joy gives you a free blank weekly planner that you fill in yourself.

The books are laid out not by day or week, but by subject, such as:

Songs and Fingerplays
Arts and Crafts
Nature Science
Baking and Recipes

You choose something from each category for your days, and fill in the blank planner.

It's a very simplistic thing, not at all academic. So, it would work for a 5 year old or under who is not yet "doing school", or for older children to go along with their academic school work (which is what we are using it for with my 6 year old son--kindy/1st--and 2 year old daughter next year).
beansricerevolt's Avatar beansricerevolt 12:37 PM 08-25-2008
Thanks! This really helped.

Im debating if I should purchase either. I have a 3 yr. old and a 10 yr. old and thought something like this would be good to get them both involved in something together.

All tho Seasons of Joy sounds great, I have a book shelf full of resources that I can pull from to make my own.
Little Acorn is sounding better in that it has weeks planned out. This is something I might need since we are coming down to the wire and I still have several weeks to plan.

I may purchase September and see how I like it

Quote:
Seasons of Joy gives you a free blank weekly planner that you fill in yourself.

The books are laid out not by day or week, but by subject, such as:

Songs and Fingerplays
Arts and Crafts
Nature Science
Baking and Recipes

You choose something from each category for your days, and fill in the blank planner.

It's a very simplistic thing, not at all academic. So, it would work for a 5 year old or under who is not yet "doing school", or for older children to go along with their academic school work (which is what we are using it for with my 6 year old son--kindy/1st--and 2 year old daughter next year).

Momma Aimee's Avatar Momma Aimee 01:41 PM 08-25-2008
I can't find a web site for Little Acorn curriculum -- can anyone help
beansricerevolt's Avatar beansricerevolt 01:46 PM 08-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
I can't find a web site for Little Acorn curriculum -- can anyone help
http://www.littleacornlearning.com/
Momma Aimee's Avatar Momma Aimee 01:57 PM 08-25-2008
thanks

:
onyxravnos's Avatar onyxravnos 07:31 PM 08-25-2008
are the info in them each year different? if I bought this years Sept from little acorns or autumn from SOJ would it be the same info as next years?
onyxravnos's Avatar onyxravnos 06:36 PM 08-26-2008
well i just ordered SOJ! : I think I'll get little acorns when ds is a bit older as well. Because I'm just a curriculum ho like that.
Momma Aimee's Avatar Momma Aimee 06:53 PM 08-26-2008
what are people thoughts on useing one or the other as a supplment to a more structured "book" curriculum as part of a "pick and choose" approach??
lovinlife1219's Avatar lovinlife1219 08:14 PM 08-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
Thanks! This really helped.

Im debating if I should purchase either. I have a 3 yr. old and a 10 yr. old and thought something like this would be good to get them both involved in something together.

All tho Seasons of Joy sounds great, I have a book shelf full of resources that I can pull from to make my own.
Little Acorn is sounding better in that it has weeks planned out. This is something I might need since we are coming down to the wire and I still have several weeks to plan.

I may purchase September and see how I like it
That's why we got Little Acorn. I have books of ideas but I am the type of person that needs it all laid out, or it doesn't get done (doh!) so I am super, super happy with the way it looks. Few more days until Monday :
sweetmama3's Avatar sweetmama3 02:07 PM 08-28-2008
I just purchased seasons of joy, I am so excited!! I may still get Little Acorn, though, I like the way it is all planned out for you.
mlh's Avatar mlh 04:05 PM 08-28-2008
Hi.

I am doing Little acorn this year and I love it! It is nice how it is laid out for you. WE may switch and do our circle time/daily activity in the afternoon becauase we like to get out of the house in the a.m. and go to parks, library, etc. So it is nice to be laid out, but also nice to be flexible. I also ordered their menu and this is going to help a ton!!! We started a yahoo group for moms doing little acorn...if you are interested here we are http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleAcornMamas/
sweetmama3's Avatar sweetmama3 12:47 PM 08-29-2008
When do you receive the autumn curriculum from seasons of joy? I just purchased it yesterday, but there was no indication of how I will receive it....
AutumnMama's Avatar AutumnMama 02:23 PM 08-29-2008
You'll get it via e-mail. Mine actually got delivered to my junk mail folder for some reason, so be sure to check there!
1 2 

Up