How many books do you leave the library with? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 09-17-2008, 01:21 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Right now we have three items out. That's fairly average.

Our library is 90 minutes away. The limit per-card is 10 items, and only my kids are entitled to free cards. Only one of them tends to be available to do the big drive and actually get to the library, so we're limited to 10 items with the one card. The loan period is 2 weeks, 1 week on media. While we can now renew books on-line (this is new!) it's still tough to get things returned.

So our library use is pretty minimal.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#32 of 56 Old 09-17-2008, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I try not to go over 20, just because I don't want to have so many books that I don't have someplace good to keep them, and they're more likely to get lost or damaged.

We live fairly close to our library, and drive past it a couple times a week, so there's a pretty rapid turnover for the books we use.

ZM
#33 of 56 Old 09-17-2008, 08:57 AM

I'd love to be able to check out that many books at a time. Our limit is 75 total but the problem is the size of the library system in our county. They don't carry half the books I need or want and their dvd selection is limited to Disney movies and non-PBS tv shows. Still, we walk out of there with 10 to 15 books (and have another 10 or so on reserve).
#34 of 56 Old 09-17-2008, 11:40 AM

we're in a large library system with no limit per card. we usually- btwn everyone in the family- have 75-125 books/videos/CDs/CD-ROMs out. we go weekly at a minimum and always bring back around 50 or so, so we're not stockpiling and keeping folks from getting them b/c our turnover is pretty good. the librarians never bat an eye at us. we do have a 10 request limit on holds per card so i never have more than that on hold. i practially have the dewey decimal system memorized at this point though so i can usually go straight to what we're looking for pretty efficiently. i want my kiddos to have a passionate love of reading and learning so i rarely ever say no to a book they want to check out. our library system is all computerized so i can get a print out of what we have out and when it's due back and keep track of it all pretty easily. i am very grateful to be in such a great library system!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#35 of 56 Old 09-17-2008, 11:50 AM

We usually leave with 3-7 each. But we also have a *very* small library now, and it's within easy walking distance, so if we need more during the week it's a quick pop over.
#36 of 56 Old 09-17-2008, 03:31 PM

We usually have 20-30 out at a time. Mostly they are for dd. I get some for me and if dh wants anything I'll get it for him. When we are doing a theme I'll request all sorts of stuff and just have it on hand in case we need it. Dd is into rainbow magic fairy books right now so we have 4 or so of those every week. Plus whatever random books/dvds that look good when we get there.

We take out books before we buy them too. I've got an amazon order brewing right now of books that I took out renewed and still wish I had. We have a limit of 10 books that we can request at a time so dd and I both have a card and we often have the 20 slots maxed out. We go every Thursday so we turn things over pretty quick.
#37 of 56 Old 09-17-2008, 05:35 PM

1,000,000. We easily leave with every book there. Sad, really.
#38 of 56 Old 09-24-2008, 06:42 PM

Well, I can walk to the library in 5 minutes (one of the only things in this area we don't have a 30 mile car trip for!) and we leave with 20+ books every week.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#39 of 56 Old 09-24-2008, 06:57 PM

since starting to HS we definitely leave the library with more books than before. it was 10 at a time (5 for each girl) but now it's around 40.

so how do you keep them organized at home? our books end up all over the house & i'm so nervous we'll start losing or destroying them. i've tried designating one spot for library books but that just doesn't happen....

stephanie asl.gif

#40 of 56 Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 PM

I think that DH and I can each sign out 200 items. The kids cards are off of DH's (I think). So my understanding is that we can sign out 400 items in total.

We don't sign out a lot at a time (maybe 10 to 20), but the library is really, REALLY close.

I wouldn't feel bad having well over a hundred items signed out though. I've had massive amounts of stuff signed out of university libraries for myself.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#41 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
so how do you keep them organized at home? our books end up all over the house & i'm so nervous we'll start losing or destroying them. i've tried designating one spot for library books but that just doesn't happen....
We have four baskets, one for me and one for each kid just for library books. Those stay downstairs (except for one or two at a time that can be read upstairs in bed). I also have a couple shelves where homeschooling topic specific books go, and there's a stack in the car. So we have a few designated spots, but not all over the place. We are good about not mixing home and library books, so it makes finding them easier. My library also has an online tracking system, so when something is due and we can't renew it, I can look at a picture of the cover, and that helps the kids find it.
#42 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 01:25 AM

We have a 100 book limit on our card and we are often flirting with that limit. We get holds trickling in at least 3 times a week. We are there probably that many times a week. We walk in with a rolling luggage bag (that ds rides on lol) and a big duffel bag as well. The librarians always comment about how we are re-stocking their shelves when we return books. It's gotten to the point that the childrens librarian takes it upon herself to put things on hold that she thinks my dd would like.

In general, there are so many things in life that I have to say no/set limits on, so they know that in the library the answer is always YES. DD wants to take out 10 Boxcar children? Great! DS wants a huge stack of books about animals? Sure! I see no reason to say no, especially since the books do always end up getting read and enjoyed.

I am usually flirting with the fine limit, too............
#43 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As far as keeping books organized, our house has built in shelves in the entrace cove, so one shelf is for library books - a stack for myself and a stack for the kids. DVD's stay near the TV in a pile, out of the reach of our youngest hands.

Kids are allowed a book or two in bed, but I hate having them in the car. With so many small feet climbing around I'm always afraid they'll get damaged, so I try to avoid letting the kids take library books on the road... They have plenty of their own that I dont mine having damaged (then they learn from their mistake that if they dont look where they put their feet, they may ruin something... and at lesat this way it doesnt cost us anything! I dont let them take their more 'expensive' books in the car either for this reason)

Every night books are gathered and dispersed dependig on where they belong. It also gives me a chance to weed through books they may not have much interest in, books we've already read and studied, and I put THOSE in a homemade cloth bag whch we use to take books out/return so we aren't using a ton of plastic bags. Then on our next trip I return those books and we check out more.
#44 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 02:31 AM

we never go to the library anymore I can never seem to return stuff on time...but I own a billion books myself anyway or I just buy my own.:

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#45 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 07:31 AM

Wow, I'm going to stop feeling guilty about taking out about 20 at a time
Maybe I'll stop restraining myself, and look at more tomorrow. We got to the library every week.
#46 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 08:31 AM

I haven't been to the library yet for this school year. The last time we went was over the summer and the books just pretty much sat there. My kids do better if they look over the books while at the library and not taking them home unless they are truly interested in just one or two good books.

I buy a lot of books and I've kept a lot of what my older kids used for my younger one, plus we can find almost anything we need on the internet. But for the most part, our bookshelves are full in our house.

Plus, my MIL made a comment last year about how dirty the books in the library are and how you never know who had them last and stuff like that. That kind of changed my thinking on it as well.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#47 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 AM

last time between me and my 4 yo we had about 40-50 books and the max limit of dvds.
and dp and i get books and cds sent to the house which is really cool.

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#48 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 01:36 PM

Oh God, I thought I was the only one.

At our last library, there was no limit on books, so every week on Tuesday (DH's day off) we'd go. I'd check out at least 15-20 books for myself, and DD (4) would get 10 or so. DH would grab 2-4 for himself to read when he wasn't working.

So we were leaving every Tuesday with anywhere between 27 and 40 books, and bringing them all back the next Tuesday, read.

We must be quite a troupe, because the stares we get as we walk in (DH holding the barefoot 15 month old's hand as she walks, DD1 skipping in front of me, me with my big tattoo and rock-star clothes, dragging in luggage full of return books...) are really quite amusing!
#49 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 01:58 PM

I'm afraid of the fines I would rack up if I took out that many items. 15-20 is our max for budgetary reasons.

C., who has to make an atm stop before the next library visit.
#50 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clane View Post
I'm afraid of the fines I would rack up if I took out that many items. 15-20 is our max for budgetary reasons.

C., who has to make an atm stop before the next library visit.

lol and thats exactly why I have no library card here since we just moved. My dh forgot to take back my stuff once since we only have 1 car. I got a ton of stuff including videos which at 1 dollar per day plus like 30 books he left them in the car FOREVER and I owe the library in alaska 80 bucks still in overdue fines :-X.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#51 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 06:34 PM

We have an order limit of 50 items per card through our library system. The system spans all over Vancouver island so it may take weeks to get somthing you ordered. Typically we have an average of 80 items out at once! We go to the library three times a week usually taking and dropping off a large bag of books. We don't use any curriculum though so the library is our hugest free resource! We have a three week limit for books unless they are super popular, as well as an online renewal/ catalogue. I LOVE our library system! Makes homeschooling on a teeny tiny budget doable!

:
#52 of 56 Old 09-25-2008, 10:57 PM

Yay! I'm not the only one I can keep getting books without feeling bad about it. I love books! :
#53 of 56 Old 09-26-2008, 12:19 AM

I don't know what our limit is?! but right now I have 30-some books out plus one DVD and DD has 20-some book out.
#54 of 56 Old 09-26-2008, 01:31 AM

Our library has no limits- and you can keep materials for 3 weeks.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#55 of 56 Old 09-26-2008, 02:32 AM

oh i just went and looked online at what we have out... i need to locate 173 items of library materials... 36 dvd's and the rest books.... hummmmm split over 6 cards..

i do love the drive thru return...i can just drive up and drop the items in the slot... makes for easy returning..
#56 of 56 Old 09-26-2008, 09:27 AM

We have 73 items out right now. That's a little higher than normal, since we generally average about 50.

We have a great inter-library loan system, and I take full advantage of it. I usually get holds in at least 3 times a week; they don't even bother to call to let me know stuff is in anymore. The librarians figure we'll be in at least 3 times a week, so we'll gather our stack on the next visit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page