How many books do you leave the library with? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am starting to feel a tad self conscious when signing out of the library...

Three kids plus myself (homeschooling/cooking/homesteading type books) leads to a lot of books being checked out. At one point last year we had 75 books out at once. I am the type who likes to use books as reference for a roject, or skim over the material and take notes of whatever looks good, or decide if a book is worth buying by skimming the material... So even though I don't read every book cover to cover, I enjoy having tons of reading material on hand. The kids love looking at library books and can spend hours each week just sitting and looking at the books.

We return them all, they're in good condition, but on average we usually leave with 20-40 books between all of us.

Am I abnormal? if I see it and it looks good, I gotta grab it, Lord knows I'll forget about it the next time I'm there and could miss out on some good informatioN! LOL. or it could be checked out, then returned to a different library and I'd never see it again unless I request it. lol.
#2 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sounds like our trips too.

Before we moved, our last library didn't have a limit (at least I never reached it) and we had 3 cards (mine, dh, DS#1). So there were times when we had 200 titles (books, movies, games) out at a time.

Several times when we got to the checkout desk the librarian would just look at the pile and say: "Homeschoolers, right?" and I'd say "yep" and she would just smile.

Here there is a 50 title limit per card. Currently we have 2 cards (mine, DS#1) and we are learning to live with that. We'll get a card for DH if it becomes necessary.

Right now, as of today, we have 61 items out on the two cards together...so I guess that means we're doing 'better.'

Maryhippie.gif

#3 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 04:05 PM

Between dd & I, there's a limit of 100 items for us, and we're often close to that.
#4 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 04:14 PM

About 50 is usual.
#5 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 05:23 PM

I do not know what the limit is but between all of us we have about 20 books out right now. We go weekly, so some weeks are more, some are less. Some books are for schooling, some are for enjoyment, some are just interesting. I use our library.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#6 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 05:30 PM

We have between 100 and 200 items out at a time - which includes dvds, book tapes etc as well as books. I go about once or twice a week to pick up holds and books. We don't read them all completely - some are just to research a question or two but I use the hold function extensively at the library because it is frankly easier than searching through books for what I want while watching 4 kids at the same time.

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#7 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 PM

Between dh and I (and the boys when they feel like using their cards), we usually have about 30 books out at any one time. We try to go every other week or weekly. Our cards max out at 25 each, so when I am there with the boys, I make sure they use their cards because our pile usually exceeds the 25 limit.

Oh, and the hold function at our library is my friend too! I usually get into the on-line catalog at home and find a bunch of what we want and request it to be sent to our branch. Then we pick those up and then find more on the shelves.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#8 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 07:35 PM

Lucky lucky people! The limit here is 20 items - can you imagine how frustrating that is? And there is a charge for holds and for getting items from other branches. Pathetic.

At least there is a library, I guess it could be worse.
#9 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, I dont' feel so bad anymore!

So how many books do you request/hold, on average?
#10 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 PM

There is a 5 book per card limit so our max is 30 right now. We normally have around 20 out at a time.

:
#11 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 08:31 PM

we have a 200 item limit, i'm not sure if that's per card holder or not. anyway, there's NO way I could keep track of more than 10 items at one time. Luckily we live just a few blocks from the library so we can go often.
#12 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormySar View Post
At one point last year we had 75 books out at once.
I think that's close to our average.
#13 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 08:53 PM

we go to the library 3-4 times a week, and we get 10-15 things each time, cycling stuff back on each visit-so id say we have about 20 items out at a time usually.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#14 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 PM

We can have up to 36 items out at one time on each card. One kids dvd per family. 6 kid videos per family. 2 kids computer software at one time. 15 holds at a time per card.

Our library called us two months ago to be sure we were okay. We hadn't been in for a month and they were worried something was wrong. our children's librarian asks me which books the kids have read recently and liked so she can add them to her popular books section. I'd say we are at the limit of items each time we check items out.
#15 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 PM

How many books do you leave the library with?

Sadly, more than I usually return. I have paid for many books over the years.

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#16 of 56 Old 09-15-2008, 11:05 PM

We have several at home that we aren't finished with and today we went again and left with 22 more. I'm not sure what the limit is at our library but our family always leaves with a huge tote bag stuffed to the brim.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#17 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 01:54 AM

It's not unusual for us to have 20 books just for our 1 DD. We have 2 or 3 libraries that we regularly visit, so we often have 50+ books checked out at any one time.
#18 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 11:19 AM

I don't think we have any limits and I spread things out between dd, dh's and my own card. I think 75 would be our personal max, but only because I am really good at getting things back as soon as we are done with it, and sometimes I just check a book out to see if it's worth purchasing or not so it has a quick turn around.

I use the online catalog and inter library loan and hold features nearly exclusively.

My librarian says I do wonderful things for their circulation numbers which increases their finding and she loves me
#19 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post
we go to the library 3-4 times a week, and we get 10-15 things each time, cycling stuff back on each visit-so id say we have about 20 items out at a time usually.
This is exactly us too! Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. I could easily get more than that, but I am always afraid I can't keep track of anymore than that.

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
#20 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 03:52 PM

i am so jealous. our library stinks! we can only check out 10 (yes, TEN) books per person at a time!!!! i live in a super tiny town. the good news is, we can walk to the library or ride our bikes. it's a block away. but i still wish we could check out more books! as napoleon dynamite would say...luuucky!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#21 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 04:00 PM

#22 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormySar View Post
Ok, I dont' feel so bad anymore!

So how many books do you request/hold, on average?

I can put 20 holds on per card so I have up to 120 holds max
typically I have about 10 holds outstanding at any one time - either I go or my DH goes a couple times a week to pick up books etc.
Ones that we don't need for longer terms get recycled back quickly.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#23 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 06:11 PM

I think the "appropriate" amount of books to take out depends on the size of the community and the library. I work at a library in a pretty small town, and while I agree with the pp that said that librarians like to see things circulate, I think I would cringe to see someone checking out more than 75 books at a time! 50 seems reasonable to me, and I've never seen a family go over that. We have a lot of homeschooling families, and it's true that they take out a ton of books, but I don't think I've ever seen numbers over about 50 at a time. We usually don't go over 20, but my dd is only 3.
#24 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 PM

We usually leave with 15-20, but take out much more often then we return. I don't think we have a limit, at least it's not less than 138, which is my current count of books out (and highest ever). Two of the kids have their own cards, each with 10-20 out at a time, on top of my 138. We renew like crazy online, and love the email notification for due books otherwise I'd owe a bunch of money. Oh, and there's usually about 5-10 on request at any time too.
#25 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 PM

I'd say we average 40-50 per week give or take. Yes, all of the librarians know us. I'd feel guilty, but they say that we're good for their statistics.
#26 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 09:53 PM

check out average of 30 per week.
hold request about 15 of those.
#27 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 11:02 PM

WOW was thinking that yesterday. I was checking out a TON of books and I know all the tellers I'm constantly odering stuff in from other libraries and always checking out more books than I can carry. We don't always read them all but I love having them for referance

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#28 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 PM

No limit at our library but we usually take out around 20 picture books and maybe one or 2 chapter books for DD. If we are working on a theme we take out around 5 or 6 around that theme. I feel guilty if I return them and we haven't read them. I thought 20 was a lot but now I see I am practically an illiterate Hee hee

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#29 of 56 Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 PM

Rarely fewer than 20 and we alternate libraries. Regularly have around 35+ a couple of dvds, cds and books on tape for the car. We are in the library at least weekly so the crop rotates.

Actually, my son chose no less than 20 dinosaur books this week and I was encouraging him to leave some in case someone else wanted to check out. Our wonderful children's librarian encouraged him to take them all "we want to see the books go out" and pointed out some other interesting items. I always feel like we are robbing the place with our giant bag and this was encouraging!
#30 of 56 Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 AM

Right now I have 42 books out right now. And that's just with me, DH, and two pre-reading kids. My sister takes a laundry basket to the library with her every single time because she checks out so many books. She has 6 kids, and several of them them are major readers, plus she is a major reader and gets tons of books for her little ones. I think she usually has about 75 books out at a time.

I love my library.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page