My six year old LOOOOVES school.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-23-2008, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
but we have decided (after much soul searching and research) to homeschool our children. How should we make the transition?

I'm a lurker coming out of the woodworks here to ask this question in the hopes that some of you would have some ideas, suggestions, thoughts, experiences to share.

My daughter is in Grade 1. She loves school, the content, her teacher - everything. When we discuss homeschooling, she is clearly anxious about it. I do not want to take her away from something she loves, yet I feel a strong drive to teach her at home for many many reasons (I'm sure you are all aware of these reasons, no need to expand on them here). I cringe every time she brings home homework or tells me stuff about school that I instinctively do not like. I want to stay positive, because she enjoys it so much but part of me just wants to stop sending her all together!

Anyhow, looking for some ideas on making the transition smooth and making it feel like it is guided by my daughter rather than me.

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
making it feel like it is guided by my daughter rather than me.
If she loves school as much as it sounds I don't know how much luck you'll have with this. It's not guided by her. And 6-year-olds are not too easily fooled.
#3 of 8 Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 AM

heres just a few quick suggestions, dont know if any will help

would part time school be a possibility? your daughter would still see her friends etc and slowly understand what homeschooling is about without being torn out of her social environment she loves so much atm. find a hs group and other activities to do with her when she is at home and maybe she will come to love being at home as much as she does going to school now. maybe you will decide to continue doing part time school or maybe your daughter will decide she wants to come out of school altogether. this way it is still your daughter leading you at least partly

if part time school isnt an option i would maybe wait till a holiday where your daughter is at home for at least a couple of weeks and show her what homeschooling would be like. show her how she can still see her friends and all the positive sides of homescholing like being able to choose her own subjects and having more time to play and relax etc. ask her about what she likes best about summer holidays and that she will be able to do a lot more of those things when HS.

if she still really wnats to go to school then i would let her go but at the same time let her know that if at any time she feels like she doesnt want to go any more then she can say so. talk to her about the thngs you dont like about school / what she learns and why you dont agree with tehm and what she thinks of those things.

HTH in some way
#4 of 8 Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 AM

You sound a little bit like me.....

My youngest child went to K last year. She loved it - yet I pulled her anyways. She is fine - absolutely fine.

I had grown more and more unhappy with the school system over the years, and it was starting to stress me out, impair my judgement and I do not think I was sending the most positive messages to my children about school - and yet I was allowing them to go there!

In the final analysis, I do not really believe in school. How could I send my 5 year old there?

This is what I did:

I let her finnish the year and did not send her back. I slowly started talking up HS over the summer - so it was not an abrupt suprise.

I have made more play dates for her in the past few months - while she was in school, as lot of her social needs were met there - now it is up to me I also enrolled her in Sparks and started a park day.

While I know not all agree with me - I do think, with a 6 yr old, you get the final say. If you believe Hs is better for her in the long run - do it. And if it turns out HS is not working out - well, last I checked, you can re-enroll

Kathy
#5 of 8 Old 09-23-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

thanks Kathy! I wish I had gotten on the ball BEFORE enrolling her in grade 1 because now I feel stuck. Your sentiments echo mine so closely so I really appreciate you sharing.

Petra - half days are not an option unfortunately or I'd be all over that!! Its all or nothing around here.

Thanks for the ideas! This is great!
#6 of 8 Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 PM

if it was me -- short of a crisis -- i would not pull her during the year ... she doesn't want to and that would start homeschooling off with resentment.

i would start a lot of fun homeschool stuff over the next summer and start offical homeschool right when the new school year startes and jsut keep her home then.

also maybe something "cool" during school hours for the fall that she can look forward to and know she could not do if she was in school? (let her help choose / know about it over the summer so she has something to look forward to in place of going bvack to school with buddies)

also can you join a HS group NOW so she can start to make freinds and see there are fun things to do without going to school? escpailly is she doesn't kow anyone homeschooled?

i would statrt now collecting catologes and free samples of curr and curr things (books, work books, caraft ideas) and letting her look at thiem -- with you or alone as long as they are returned to the box or whatever -- and kinda "get a feel for it" and also to allow for a gowing excitiment or anticapation (like looking at toy catologs) -- it might spark an idea in her, in a "on her own pace" and "no pressure" kinda way ....

go to a school supply store and look -- all teh cool posters, the cool books, the cool mind games and so on .....

get her exicted about it .... kinda like gettign a kids excited abouttheir new bed to move them out of your's.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#7 of 8 Old 09-23-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Aimee - this is great advice. I feel like I need to rush - which would likely be counter productive.

Wow, yes - it is about building the excitment. She got lots of that culturally and from us leading up to entering school.... so it would stand to reason that she needs the same stuff for Homeschool.

I think I will start building a Homeschool Library - perhaps taking this year or at least until Christmas to prepare MYSELF wouldnt be a bad idea anyway.

Cool. This is helping a lot. So glad I posted over here.
#8 of 8 Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalMama View Post
Thanks Aimee - this is great advice. I feel like I need to rush - which would likely be counter productive.

Wow, yes - it is about building the excitment. She got lots of that culturally and from us leading up to entering school.... so it would stand to reason that she needs the same stuff for Homeschool.

I think I will start building a Homeschool Library - perhaps taking this year or at least until Christmas to prepare MYSELF wouldnt be a bad idea anyway.

Cool. This is helping a lot. So glad I posted over here.
I think you are right

that this time as a gift, so you are really ready. I have to know i am ready for DH but the boys won't "know" if i flub, skip a day, or am disorgized or whatever -- your DD WILL notice if you are not on top of your game day one.

read, not just curr but books about homeschooling, about ordering your day, about throy ...

get a ton of curr catologes and any and all free things you can find....get a few work books or unit out-lines or whatever (or all of them) and look at them

I am in the middle of that now. We won't offical homeschool till pre-k (my son is a late birthday so he will be mostly 5 in pre-k) and THAT year is a pratice year for me and a chance to wade into it little by little and "show" the nay-sayers ....so for NOW I am reading, I am collecting websites and ordering them by "math" "reading" "printable work sheets" "book lists" and so on ... so when we get closer i have the stuff easy to find (and we are already useing color sheets). I request any and all catologes that look good. I have a chart "possible resources" where i keep a list of things i like (hum maybe this to supp math in Kindergarden? maybe this as a set of themes in pre-K? humm )

I think you need to take the time you have to get you set and strong. know what you want to do, know how you want to do it, know what resources you want to start with (and what your 2nd choices are too )

ONCE YOU FEEL STRONG not just in ideal, but in pratical, start causally showing it to DD "hey look at this catologe i got" or just leave the stuff around.

then start to build excitement -- before announceing to her she is going to HS next year -- so she is intrigued and intrested before it si a conflict ("I don't want to leave school, HS will suck").

good luck.

I am jsut learning now, so we can learn all this together

A

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page