Mothering Forum banner

what are your thoughts on this homeschooling room?

2K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  Peacemamalove 
#1 ·
#4 ·
oh, plus i'd have a science lab set-up with the stars hanging from the ceiling too of course...and an art easel ....and a huge window....and some maps....and a small greenhouse somewhere as well...and perhaps a couple of wildlife animals to study habitats, lol.

#7 ·
Awesome!
We do have a room that is sort of 'extra' - it's my sewing room and I could get rid of a lot of the junk in there. BUT it's in the coldest part of our house and I can't imagine hanging out in it with our livingroom being so much warmer. I love the idea, though, and that room looks very inviting! I love the workout area right next door, too!

#8 ·
it really is cool isn't it?? even dh thought it was great and he is usually the "yeah whatever" type of guy. it's the really calming, spaced-out set-up, the vibrant walls and the books - oh, the books!

when i used to envision homeschooling some four years ago, the very first thought i had was having a beautiful little school room just like this in our home.

*sigh*

we don't even have a tenth of that space in this home. i guess i'm just gonna have to wait.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
My thoughts
"Wow, that's organized. Dd would trash that in under an hour. Sigh."
Same here, but I would fix that problem by doing more wall storage (out of their reach.) IKEA's Trofast system has wall-mounted storage, too, that would be great. Of course, some stuff like the books has to be within their reach, but I think they would be less likely to dump them all when they are all displayed individually. (I think they pull all the books out at once because they can't see which is which.) Art stuff would need to be up out of reach, otherwise they go through a ream of paper in 20 minutes and the crayons would be flung all over the floor, far and wide (this happens to us all the time).
: I would like to have one wall that they could scribble on, that would be fun. Maybe I would line it with paper? I don't know if that's feasible. I loved the loveseat reading area-- have you seen those little red sofas at IKEA? They are tiny and CUTE and only $99 each!

Anyway, this room got me dreaming. We won't have room to do a schoolroom for some 2-4 years yet, but it's fun to scheme in the meantime! Thank you for sharing!

#11 ·
wow! we are just starting a homeschooling area (dds are 2 and 4) but WOW! i'm going to show dh and beg him to give up our bonus room that he uses as an office and move into a smaller extra bedroom so we can have something large like that! tons of great ideas there and i LOVE the color!!
thanks for sharing!!

#13 ·

i almost want her to home school me.

Quote:
Art stuff would need to be up out of reach, otherwise they go through a ream of paper in 20 minutes and the crayons would be flung all over the floor, far and wide (this happens to us all the time).
you mean this goes on in other homes too?
the biggest mistake i ever made once was purchasing 200 sheets of green A4 paper and keeping it within thier reach (well kind of, it was in a low cupboard really)... yup. all i can say is never again.

beka, dh said "wow, she must have a really big home!" because half our house looks like the size of that room alone. now my pissy little school room doesn't seem half as appealing as it did two weeks ago.

#15 ·
I've been drooling over those pictures since last night. We don't have the feasible space in our house to do something like that (our dining room is our "school room" as in we do any sit-down work there). But it would be so awesome! BTW, those pictures are from a MDC mom - she posted about her schoolroom in this thread.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I've been drooling over those pictures since last night. We don't have the feasible space in our house to do something like that (our dining room is our "school room" as in we do any sit-down work there). But it would be so awesome! BTW, those pictures are from a MDC mom - she posted about her schoolroom in this thread.

Well then I need more details!

Is this a master bedroom? A finished basement?

#18 ·
#19 ·
ah, i thought it wouldn't be long before someone said they didn't like it!

i don't think that particular room could be too suffocating in the long term. it is very big, uncluttered, neat, warm, inviting, child freindly and inspiring. i doubt they spend thier entire day in the room anyway. with our (currently hypothetical slash work-in-progress) school room, we'd probably spend 3-5 hours there in total everyday as it would be a combined playroom too. the rest would be spent outdoors, having a bubble bath, napping, reading or in the kitchen cooking.

mylittlewonders, thanks for the link! how cool that she is an MDC mama!!!
:

#20 ·
I think it's a really pretty room and remember when she first posted the pictures, but I agree that I'm just not the school room type. I love doing school at the island in our kitchen or on the couch. We're the type of homeschoolers that don't have the need for a dedicated school room

#21 ·
What really appeals to me is that it is a shared space - I would probably add a small TV and DVD player, with a shelf full of cool documentaries and such. With my kids the age they are, and with only my oldest "doing" school stuff right now (my middle son is invited to join but is free to say no at this point), I'd love a big open room with all of that in there ... the younger two could be engaged in the same room as us, my oldest and I could focus on some things together. There could be a CD player with headphones for the younger two to listen to stories/songs, or my oldest to use for Story of the World (he LOVES listening to SOTW!). It would allow us all to be in the same place, participating in different activities, and at the same time, able to join together to do things as well.

As it is right now, I am usually at the kitchen table with ds#1 helping him (he isn't reading yet, so often I'm there helping him read problems/directions), while my other two are doing something in another room (Lego's, Little People, etc.).

#22 ·
I don't mind the idea of a separate homeschool room.

I think that room is very well thought out and attractive. It looks like a good children's section of a library. A fun place for young kids to hang out.

My dream homeschool room would look a little different.
It would be nice to have a space to leave projects and books out. I would have a large table or two and some flat file storage. Maybe a drafting table.
There would be a sink in the room.
I like the rain gutter shelves but would also like a revolving book stand.
The walls might be blue, green or yellow.
No carpet on the floor.
There would a tv and dvd player.
One wall would be painted with chalkboard paint.

#24 ·
I like it, but it's not me. I prefer less visible storage, because I find it distracting to have everything out like that. I'm sure others find it pleasantly stimulating. And there's nowhere near enough room for books!

I don't really want a dedicated homeschool room, but I would LOVE a "project" room, near the kitchen, with nice low windows with a wide shelf for plants, easy access to the backyard, a big sink, floors that are meant to get wet, and a nice big project/game table with good lighting. Oh, and LOTS of kid accessible, hidden storage. Because this is a fantasy, the stuff is all perfectly organized, LOL!

ZM

#25 ·
I think that maybe I am picturing using it differently than some of the other posters. I would LIVE in there - it would be my living room. But, when I wanted to, I could close the door, invite people over, and pretend that I lived an adult life. Like one that didn't scream "welcome to my home, please don't trip over the science experiment."

#26 ·
It's gorgeous but I prefer something simple. The colors and keeping things in order is great though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
My thoughts
"Wow, that's organized. Dd would trash that in under an hour. Sigh."
or the other children that visit our home would help mine do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.