A Homeschooler's Christmas Wish List - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what's on your homeschooler's Christmas list this year??

Any cool gift ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 01:28 PM

For Christmas I want someone to buy our formal dinning room set so I can buy the 5 bookshelves I have been eyeing.

I so want to have the space for most of my books that have been shoved various places around my house.

Mom to '97, '07, '09 and birth mom '00 and wife to my BFF
#3 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 01:55 PM

9 yo ds wants: WWE wii game, wrestling ring, some action figures, and a remote control mustang, madagascar game wii

6 yo dd wants: Ez bake oven, American girl Kaya, pixos, littlest pet shop ds, and a barbie cruise ship

17 month old dd will be getting some kind of ride on toy and probably some other little toy.

Mommy would like some new chocolate uggs, new drawers for each person, and that's probably it for me.

Dh could use a new gps since his was stolen and maybe some underwear and socks lol

None of it may look educational but in Augst I bought a ton of cool educational stuff like a brock magiscope, rosetta stone spanish, fritz and chesster game, claymation software,etc. Hope that helps!

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#4 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 02:13 PM

The only "homeschooly" thing that my kids want are bug bracelets from ttgo.com. My son wants a nintendo ds. He's wanted one for 3 years, so finally I'm agreeing. I'm not happy about it though. Last year, I got him mostly educational things like the eyclops. I could sense his disappointment though as each present he opened, he was sure was his nintendo ds.

My daugther wants 35 stuffed animals! Already her room is too full of junk. I'm conflicted about what to get her. They cut and paste thier christmas lists and she's been carrying around her list saying "I can't wait 'til X-mas" and telling her younger brother which animals she'll share with him. Most of these animals are in kits of 5 animals and some sort of shelter and they're all from ttgo.com. Each kit is about 30 dollars. I feel like I'm going to waste a lot of money. I really don't know what to do about it.

My husband and I decided that as a form of "homeschooling" we would give the kids more control of thier list. They get to spend 200 anyway they want. I think this is backfiring. My son made a list of 1500 worth of stuff and had to start crossing off stuff. Then, he found it better to just make rank his top 5. He had over 30 things on the list. My daughter just wanted to try to fit as many stuffed animals as possible into her 200. Of course, we won't tell them for sure if they got the stuff on thier list and they'll have some other surprise stuff as well. I'm really not sure about how I feel about doing it this way this year.

Why do I have to be married to a Catholic who wouldn't dream of not celebrating this crazy holiday. Why can't I make it more meaninful?

Maybe we should start a "how to make it meaningful" thread. As an Athiest, obviously not religious for me. My kids don't believe in Santa. It was a lot easier when they did believe in santa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#5 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM

15yo DD

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke
Cheerleader Monopoly
The latest Staind CD
She's getting a Digital Camera which I know she wants but didn't ask for

12yo DD

any manga she can get-emphasis on magic and vampires
Code Lyoko action figures
Tinkerbell and Silvermist dolls
High School Musical 2 soundtrack
Pink Nintendo DS and the Tinkerbell and Code Lyoko games to go with

9yo DS

label maker
Nintendo DS (no specific color)
New games for his x-box, most especially a new racing game
Toy pick up trucks, the bigger the better
Another mouse (he has two)

DH

New winter coat
Some new birdfeeders
Tools
Hunting gloves

Me

Programable Crockpot
Scented candles
Penzeys spices
Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling
Odd Hours by Dean Koontz

As a family we want a membership to the local living museum and movie passes.
#6 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM

DD wants art stuff, I have already brough her an easel and am going to get her some little canvases and paints so she has her own stuff.

DS is a Lego lover, so thats easy.

I want a flippin bookshelf to put all our books on!

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#7 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
Maybe we should start a "how to make it meaningful" thread. As an Athiest, obviously not religious for me. My kids don't believe in Santa. It was a lot easier when they did believe in santa
I limit the number of gifts my kids get and have done so since they were little. They get three gifts; one from each sibling and one from DH and I. Usually they get one from "Santa" too, even though my DD2 is the only one who believes (she's developmentally delayed) so I guess four gifts. I also really try to find a way to give back at Christmas. My mom's group has a toy swap every year in November where we bring in used, good condition toys and books that our kids no longer use and trade them for others. I expect something from each child and they usually get really into it. I also try to buy something for Toys for Tots or something similar, even if it's only some lip gloss or a pair of warm gloves.
#8 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 PM

We want a new globe, some nice maps for the wall, and lots of art supplies.
#9 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 PM

My 7 yo wants anything and everything science, which includes an expensive chemistry set and more slides for her microscope. We went to a super cool learning store the other day and I got tons of good ideas for Christmas presents and they are all focused on learning. The best part is that the kids would love it.

My 4 yo is leaning towards accessories for her baby doll. I think she also wants a bigger crystal growing set. I would like to get her and her little sister one of those little kids trampolines since they are both very kinetic and have lots of energy to burn.

My 19 mo loves blocks and building so I am thinking of legos.

DH wants a good telescope.

I want a new set of pots and pans since the ones we got as a wedding present are falling apart.
#10 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM

nak-

ds is 4.5-He's getting this stuff...
Lego
Playmobil
Quick chess
CDs from Greathall
books

if the ILs ask (they won't )
snap circuits
rokenbok
zoom scope/eyeclops or (preferably, but it is a dream...) usb microscope
books
magnatiles

DD will have just turned 2-
doll/doll stuff like cradle, stroller, doll high chair (definite)

if anyone asks for ideas:
Duplo, Magnatiles, Rody Pony, books
#11 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 PM

DD is 3 1/2.

She's getting a sleeping bag, binoculars, glitter glue, finger paints, play-doh kitchen set, books, A Disney princess "piggy" bank I bought last spring at WDW, a microphone (like SID the Science kid) and I'd like to find her a decent pretend cash register.

I hope that's it. We try to downplay the gifts. I'd rather give her stuff throughout the year and let holidays be about family, friends, and the holiday itself.

For ME, I have asked for gift cards to B&N and to the Parent-Teacher store.
#12 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 11:28 PM

I can't say that my kids are really getting anything educational, except maybe some art supplies in their stockings.

They are each getting a Bilibo, some neat Plan Toy wooden games, a Waldorf Doll, a doll care center (shared gift), and a shopping cart and stroller (shared gifts).

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#13 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 11:33 PM

Everything's Educational!!!!!!

My 4 year old is asking for automoblox, one of those cool fairy tree houses and I am eyeing this really cool child's world atlas and a desk lamp for his table. I think we are going to get the kids bean bag chairs too.

For my one year old- one of those wheely bugs, some Little Beetle Learners, a wooden cup from Nova Naturals.

For everyone....wool socks!
#14 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 PM

For dd1 who is 3.5-
Books (I found 2 of those awesome 3-d pop up books on major clearance, and also the original The Secret Garden with beautiful paintings)
Moon Sand or Play doh (from the G-parents)
A stainless steel straw cup (from aunt and uncle)
1 month gymnastics lessons paid for (other G-ma)
Science kit (from daddy)

For dd2 who will be 11 months-
knotty doll (mama made with bamboo velour...yum!)
stainless steel straw cup (from aunt and uncle)
small cuddle toy or pjs (from g-parents)

I'd like for the girls to each 'get' the other something, but am stuck as to what that would be...I was thinking maybe dd1 could 'gift' dd2 a baby toy she used to play with? And dd2 could get dd1 some art stuff?
#15 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 07:42 AM

We try to limit christmas presents, we fill their stockings with small things and then they get their main pressie @ new years. Their main pressie will be a trampoline to share (if we can level some ground to put it on!) In their stockings and from overseas realtives will be:

DD (age 3) some dolls clothes, some bees wax, felt hairband. I am making her a magnetic fish game. Her brother is sewing her a bag. others will prob buy a doll pusher/or bike seat, some jigsaw puzzles.

a joint board game for them to share.

DS (6), in his stocking: a wooden yo-yo, beeswax, a knitting DVD and knitting needles, small lego. small bar of choc. I am making him a small knight doll. I am not sure what his sister will make him yet. others will prob buy, science kits, csiro substription. marble run. They both get new pjamas on christmas eve.
#16 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 10:22 AM

DS 6

Nintendo DS this is his number one item and I am hoping on finding it on Black Friday at a lower cost.

Legos or the Lego club thing

Webkinz

Some new books at his reading level

The rest I don't know!
#17 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
An aquarium membership

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#18 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 11:43 AM

The girls are getting one joint gift- playscreen panels

Bella- lego set (from mdc trade)
Playmobil camper
book ?
dress
doll dress
something in her stocking

Gilli- really nice lab dog
modeling beeswax
book- set of i spy books
other?

Erin-wooden rocking horse
set of clear tubes of cool stuff inside

Dad- digital pic frame to show off his girls (will love this, especially loaded and ready to go)
new shirt
socks

Me- ipod (only thing I asked for)
if I could- i'd also like a pair of rain/puddle boots

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#19 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 01:01 PM

I would love for someone(s) to get us:
zoo membership
aquarium membership
MOSI membership
classy toys I can't afford like these Buntspechte figures

We are giving dd(4) several wooden animal families from Anne Moze that I bought for her birthday in September but didn't give her because we ended up with too many presents! I chose them for value (cost per piece) as well as what I thought she'd like best. So we got giraffes, lions, elephants, kittens, and zebras. I think that's it.

I wanted to keep it to one present from us (don't worry--there will be plenty from others) but I also have this little wooden model airplane kit for 3+ that she spied when I was getting ready to sell it on Cragislist and she's very interested. So maybe that will fit in her stocking or I'll give it to a grandma to give her. Anyway, she'll be getting it.

In her stocking:
some wooden fruit from a thrift store for her kitchen
a prism off ebay to hang in a window and make rainbows
I'm hoping to find a cool kids compass

I love Christmas as a parent!!!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#20 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 02:17 PM

Our whole family is getting a Wii, along with Wii Fit. Dd is still deciding what game she wants for it - we're each choosing one.
#21 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3momkmb View Post
I also really try to find a way to give back at Christmas.
This year I'm organizing a drive for coats, gloves, & hats for the adult homeless population in our area. It's an underserved group, since they seem scary and weird to so many. Getting into that has been wonderful for me (and the kids). Even as little ones, they understand the need for coats and gloves when it's cold, and for me, the thought that someone's out in cold weather without them is heartbreaking. It may be too much of a downer for some, but I think it's an excellent "give back" project.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#22 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
This year I'm organizing a drive for coats, gloves, & hats for the adult homeless population in our area. It's an underserved group, since they seem scary and weird to so many. Getting into that has been wonderful for me (and the kids). Even as little ones, they understand the need for coats and gloves when it's cold, and for me, the thought that someone's out in cold weather without them is heartbreaking. It may be too much of a downer for some, but I think it's an excellent "give back" project.
That is wonderful.
#23 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 06:41 PM

We volunteer throughout the year at our local shelter/food pantry.

Of couse there is Holiday Helper here at mdc.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#24 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have binoculars for ds.

I want to get him these "Bags of Knowledge" http://scientificsonline.com/search....wledge&x=0&y=0

He wants a chemistry set. I think he wants to be able to make big clouds of green smoke and other spectacular concoctions like one sees in cartoons. I might put together the Bags of Knowledge with some other things and test tubes and make a set that will do something satisfying but not cost $200.

He wants a new kind of marble run. He likes the magnetic one that runs on tracks that he has seen commercials for but I showed him a cheaper version that isn't magnetic and he thought that was cool, too. http://www.amazon.com/Skyrail-Marble...=100LSDHNJSZIN

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#25 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
He wants a chemistry set. I think he wants to be able to make big clouds of green smoke and other spectacular concoctions like one sees in cartoons. I might put together the Bags of Knowledge with some other things and test tubes and make a set that will do something satisfying but not cost $200.
Our school supply store has a lot of science-type stuff that's pretty inexpensive. DS loves magnets, and we found a decent set for $8, plus bottles of iron shavings for a quarter. We also bought a couple of test tubes for some experiment DH was doing, and I think they were $2-3 each.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#26 of 30 Old 11-14-2008, 01:16 AM

We do Eid...which is a few days before Christmas this year.

So far, I have an easel and art supplies, wooden play stove, and plastic toddler car picked out. The play stove and easel will be for all three kids. The plastic car is supposed to only be for DD (who will be 18 months then)... but I think her older brothers will play in it too.

Oh... I also picked up some "Yo Gabba Gabba" small toys for the kids who love Yo Gabba Gabba. We no longer have cable to watch it... but they still sing the songs from the show.

Bedhead... I love my Wii Fit!!

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#27 of 30 Old 11-14-2008, 01:32 AM

They're all getting Wii to share, wIth Guitar Hero Areosmith.

Rounded out with books, art supplies, Breyer horse, Playmobil extras, DVDs, CDs, a couple of Gameboy games, one child is getting an ipod.
#28 of 30 Old 11-14-2008, 02:25 AM

We always round up coats and warm things to give to the domestic violence shelter or homeless shelter for St. Martin's Day. That's one "giving back" tradition. We always go through and sort of clear out books and toys and things we don't want anymore before Christmas, but this year we are going to make sure to choose some nice, not worn-out toys and books, art supplies we haven't used, things like that to donate on St. Nicholas day (Dec. 6). I try to always tie "charity" in with the rest of our lives so it is just a natural thing, not something special, you know?
#29 of 30 Old 11-15-2008, 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=umsami;12607028]We do Eid...which is a few days before Christmas this year.

QUOTE]

Teletubbies has an episode with children celebrating Eid- and the song they sing is a big hit here.

We're getting lots of art/crafting/mess creating things to replenish our reserves. Some math games. More dress up stuff.
I think we're also getting triops.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#30 of 30 Old 11-16-2008, 05:47 AM

*art supplies (new water colours, brushes, play doh tools, a couple of packs of craft paper)

*books! Mr 6yo wants some magic tree house books of his very own

*PE equipment (hehehe) scooters for big boys (with pads/helmets) and ride on toy for little dude

*lego... can never ever have too many of those around

Now if MUM could have her own list for hs stuff! I'd want:

A good sturdy craft cupboard (with lockable doors as mr toddler is itself lol), a membership at the Koala sanctuary & science center , a bigger budget so we could get the guitar lessons and art lessons kiddo would love to take!!!!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page