how to handle the high school years (academically)..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have older homeschooled or unschooled DC, can you tell me how you approached the teen years with regards to keeping their options (i.e. college or University) open??

I just looked through the requirement for a high school leaving certificate in Ontario and it was intimidating!

I also looked through college and University admissions procedure for HSers and it was insanely vague.

I really should not get myself in a dither over this. Someone talk me down!

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 PM

I just read this thread the other day and it really calmed me down a lot. I really want to Hs/unschool but the college thing was really bugging me. Scroll down to Lillian J's response and there are some GREAT links.

I hope this helps
Old 11-15-2008, 10:53 PM

I'm not homeschooling a highschooler yet, but my best friend is. She's allowing him to take local community college classes in subjects that interest him and doing some online classes through co-ops. From what I've seen having some community college makes it pretty easy to get into a 4 year college.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 11-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Hi Kathy,

Although I have no first hand experience, I do have a girlfriend who has 2 of her 3 boys attending the local SLC. They were homeschooled all the way through their high school years. Much of the higher grades were done through independednt study of a Christian curriculum, as I understand it.

When the boys were ready to make a choice about post secondary education and they had decided upon SLC, I believe they spoke to admissions to see what their best bet would be. The easiest option for them (at ages 17 and 18) was to write a grade 12 GED exam and present a passing grade to the college.

They are both in their second year now with no problems. If you'd like, PM me and I can put you in touch with the family if you'd like to get first-hand specifics.

Laark
www.myloveandlaughter.blogspot.com
Old 11-15-2008, 11:27 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
My 14yo has chosen to attend high school part-time here in BC this year, but so far is just taking interest-based courses, and is not "diploma track." (She's thinking of possibly going for her diploma after all, because she's enjoying the structure of course-work. Who'd have guessed, after years of loosey-goosey unschooling?)

Anyway, I am pretty confident that SAT scores, a couple of letters of recommendation, records from the odd community college or distance education high school course, a resumé and a portfolio will be more than adequate to allow her to compete for admission at Canadian post-secondary level. It is my impression that the OUAS (Ontario Universities Application Services) group of universities agreed 6 or 8 years ago on criteria for assessing admissions applications from homeschoolers without a high school diploma. I know out here in BC that's the case with the main universities.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 11-15-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

It is re-assuring.

Kathy
Old 11-16-2008, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our homeschooled babysitter takes classes at a local homeschool co-op and the community college nearby.

At this point, my ds (who's only eight) is planning to start community college at 15 so that he can have a two year degree by the time he's 17 and be done with four year college by 19. He's given me a pretty well thought out explanation of how it will be a lot cheaper to pay for college because high schoolers get a discount at community college and if he does the parallel enrollment program, he can take classes for half-price.

I left public high school in the 10th grade myself and did well in college. I think that if our children keep their love of learning and are challenging themselves academically, they should do fine in college without four years of high school.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 11-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
At this point, my ds (who's only eight) is planning to start community college at 15 so that he can have a two year degree by the time he's 17 and be done with four year college by 19. He's given me a pretty well thought out explanation of how it will be a lot cheaper to pay for college because high schoolers get a discount at community college and if he does the parallel enrollment program, he can take classes for half-price.
Something else to think about, though, is that a lot of the financial aid offered by colleges is specifically for freshmen, so someone transferring in as a junior would not be eligible for as much. This is Rain's second year taking college classes, and she's more concerned about not taking too many units, because she then will have to enter as a transfer student, rather than as a freshman. I think the limit is 30, or 36 maybe? So she wants to stay under that, but she also wants to take a whole bunch of classes because so many of them look interesting to her.

We have to pay full price at the CCs here, which is sort of a bummer, but it's a lot cheaper than the state university tuition we paid last year. She could also take classes at the fancy private school where I'm a grad student, at (gulp) $500 per credit hour. Not in the budget... I know, though, that when we lived in California high school students got to take CC classes for free!

Another issue is that duel enrolled students (i.e., kids taking college classes as high school students) are generally not eligible for traditional forms of student aid, like Pell grants. If I "graduated" Rain she'd be eligible for all that... but then again, she wouldn't be eligible for the freshman scholarships offered by the bigger name places she eventually wants to go to.

So it *is* complicated, or it has been for us, but the getting in part is really the least of my worries...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

User Tag List