Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in the Peg! I guess it's not -60F anymore though :LOL
Old 02-03-2004, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm sure it will be soon :

I am in Fort Garry, you?? Do you know of any good AP playgroups in the city?
Old 02-03-2004, 06:11 PM

I'm in St. Boniface/Southdale/Island Lakes. I used to live in Fort Garry by Cinema City I think there is another member here that was looking for a playgroup (not specifically AP though), I don't know if she was successful. I had a doula for #2, and I think some of the mamas on the doulas' Yahoo group get together during the day (I WOH during the day ). I think she was going to check out the drop-ins that the City of Wpg organizes. I may in the summertime.

edited to ask nosy question: are you having an OB or MW assisted birth for #2?
Old 02-03-2004, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I have a playgroup that I run but most of the parents aren't AP and so I'm looking for more AP minded friends in the city

I just started attending LLL meetings and have met a few woman who seem nice through those.

I'm a SAHM but I don't drive, so I'm house bound all day, that doesn't help

Unfortunatly I have an OB for this birth, though I really, really wanted a midwife. I called around for a midwife at about 5 weeks pregnant and still couldn't get anyone to take me. I'm told it has to do with my late May due date.

Did you have an OB or Midwife? Where did you deliver?
Old 02-03-2004, 07:04 PM

I had a MW. I had a MW for #1 but DS ended up being c-section, but I had the same MW for #2, which was a VBAC at St. B. Sometimes it's hard to get a MW to take you on but I was persistent

Since I was VBAC, I was in the high-risk side of St. B's L&D and it was like a 3rd world hospital with no running water the morning I spent there : Dr. Taylor examined me in triage and suggested that I go straight to a c-section, I turned her down flat and the MW made sure she was in the room when I delivered my DD :LOL
Old 02-03-2004, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Groan, I've heard horrible things about St. B.

I'm delivering at Woman's Hospital, my OB seems very "natural delivery" friendly and has been great so far, but I still wish I had a midwife. Sort of a little bit of insurance, kwim?

I delivered my daughter in Saskatchewan, so I'm not sure what to expect here.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:38 PM

Hi there Sarah,

I am here now too

Looks like a great place!

Take care,
Anita
Old 02-22-2004, 02:24 AM

Hello hello! I used to live right by CC8 in Fort Garry! We moved after we discovered a baby can't live in a walk-in closet forever. We live near Corydon and Kenaston now. I had a MW and home birth for both boys, and they were both wonderful. (Well the first one was bloody long and painful, but we were both fine in the end.)

Nice to be here!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:35 PM

It was me looking for the playgroup Tee! I didn't end up going to any of the city's programs. I found a wonderful preschool for ds1 one morning a week and I've been more active with my LLL group.

We live in Transcona. Ds1 was born at St B. and our ds2 was born at home with a wonderful midwife.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:12 AM

Hi, I'm in Winnipeg too!

Just wanted to say that I've been reading your search for midwives (childbirth community MB) and I have been thinking of you, Sarah. I had my third child at Women's with midwives- great birth, unmed etc...

There are some good OB's out there too (okay, well I only know of one in my experience...but there must be more, right???). I had to see one my third pg b/c I was high risk (I had PIH/preeclampsia with my first two and my second was induced a month early due to all that - at St B and I'm never going back there...) for a consult, in case my BP went up again. She was great- I let my midwives pick her for me. But I'm really hoping that you get in with some midwives, it's amazing how difficult it is these days- I feel for you.

I know May is a typically heavy time for births- my first was born in May 98 when Brandon Hospital had stopped delivering babies and St B closed due to being full with transfers. I was stuck in Women's, with BP so high I was having spontaneous nosebleeds in my sleep and waiting a week to be induced. Everytime they told me it was time to go be induced, someone else would come in in active labour obviously getting priority. When I remarked about how many people were there, the nurse said that it couldn't have happened at a worse time b/c May is typically heavy. Must be the last hurrah of summer ;-)

At any rate, just wanted to wave "Hi!" and wish you good luck. Sorry that I have no word on a playgroup either- AP people are pretty hard to come by here. LLL is a great place to start though, that's what I did :-) Good luck again!

Daniele, popping out of lurkdom
Carla - May 9, 1998
Jacob - February 3, 2000
Aaron - February 28, 2003 - my baby is one!
Old 02-29-2004, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Hi

I was waiting for 2 midwives to call this week, but I never got the call. I plan on following up with them on Monday. I'm guessing that since they didn't call, they won't have room for me.

I have an appointment with Dr. Moran DeMuller on Thursday, I've heard good things about her. She delivers at The Vic.

Who was your OB?

I am attending La Leche League meetings in River Heights and I love them! I definitely look forward to the 2nd Wednesday of each month
Old 03-01-2004, 12:33 PM

Morning )

Aw, that's too bad that the m/w's haven't phoned back. This is such a frustrating situation- I only wish the letters could help immediately. I feel for you, I really do.

The OB that I saw was Dr Margaret Morris- her office is in the Rehab hospital at HSC and she delivers out of Women's. I always sort of thought that if she was debating going into obstetrics now, she would change and become a midwife. She came into my appt, sat down, took off her shoes and leaned back and said, "So how are you feeling?". She was of course, a typical OB in the way that she pretty much assumed that I would end up with PIH again, but let it take it's own course. I ended up doing 24 hr urine collection for the last 10 weeks of my pg, along with weekly bloodwork. Sometimes the results were off, but she let me continue with my m/w's until things got bad- which they luckily never did.

When my m/w's suggested her, they said that she was one OB that they liked to work with (at Women's at any rate- I was admant about *not* birthing at St-B). They said that even if my BP were to go up and I had to be induced, she would most likely let them (the m/w's) do their thing and just keep an eye on things. She was pretty good with standing back and letting them do their job- she understood that the mom had the relationship with the m/w's, not her.

Come to think of it, I did go back after my ds was born- I had PP bleeding for 3.5 months. She did a pelvic and took some blood. Her theory was that my uterus was just being sluggish after giving birth 3 times in 5 years and it would clear up on its own. She didn't even want to send me for a u/s until it had gone on for over 4 months (which luckily it didn't- but I got my period back at 4 months and that sucked). She was just as nice and mild mannered that visit as well- asked me how the birth went etc...

I hope that you have good luck with this new OB, if that's where your path leads you. I hear some good things about the Vic. And it's close to you too.

I'm part of the Winnipeg South LLL group and you're right- it is lots of fun! I look forward to our twice monthly meetings a lot, even my kids do ;o)

Take care and keep us updated!

Daniele
Old 03-01-2004, 07:58 PM

Another Winnipegger here! I'm in the north end of the city though...(everyone says I just have to be different...hee hee)
Stardancer - my dh is from transcona! We almost bought a house there but alas, it didnt go thru. So, we bought one in my end of town instead.
Nice to see so many of us here!
Old 03-04-2004, 07:35 PM

I've often thought about joining LLL here in Wpg - are there any members in your groups that pump while working outside the home? I could always use the motivation to keep on pumpin' :LOL
Old 03-04-2004, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I go to the LLL meetings in River Heights at St. Aidan's Church. There is at least 1 Mom who pumps and works out of the home, her son is around 1 1/2, maybe older.

There are many Mom's, some nursing babies, some nursing toddlers, some not nursing at all anymore. It's a very diverse group
Old 04-29-2004, 08:05 PM

I'm in Winnipeg, also in Ft. Garry! Good to see some more moms close by!

Mom to DD1 reading.gif (11) & DD2 shine.gif homebirth.jpg(7) & DS babyboy.gif  h20homebirth.gif (9/10/12)

Old 04-29-2004, 08:27 PM

I am in Morden but should be in the Peg by the end of the summer.

You know, we should have a fall MDC get together
Old 04-29-2004, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Is everyone on the yahoo group who wanted to be? I just want to make sure I didn't forget anyone.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:59 PM

I'm in Ft. Garry too!

nice to see so many Wpg mommies! i emailed you about the yahoo group..

i've been feeling really isolated lately, none of my friends have children...
prairiemommy, can you tell me more about the south wpg LLL meetings? i would love to take my son to those... i live close to cinema city 8..

erin
Old 05-25-2004, 02:01 PM

Hi there,

Oh this is exciting since I am going to be moving back to Fort Garry/Fort Richmond this summer!

Sounds like there will be lots of new little playmates for Matthew and Emmy!

Take care,
Anita
Old 05-25-2004, 03:38 PM

Hey,

I know that the next meeting isn't until the 15th of June. But I am sure to go and would love to see you there. If you are bored and feeling isolated email me off line maybe we could hook up!!! It is much more fum when you can spend time with someone who has a child and possibly have stuff in common. So I would love to hear from you. My email address is [email protected]
Hope to hear from you
Janis
How old is your little one???
Old 05-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Old 06-27-2004, 03:58 AM

User Tag List