Mothering Forum banner

living in Daytona Beach for six months

414 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Jillby 
#1 ·
Greetings,
We are living in Daytona Beach for a little while, and I'm wondering if any of you have the inside scoop on fun places to bring my 7 month old. We live in Southern Vermont, which is full of great coffee shops and lots of culture. We're having a hard time locating these kinds of places down here. Any ideas? Also, do any of you attend the local LLL meetings?

#2 ·
Drive an hour or so north (I-95 is probably fastest, but A1A is more scenic - it hugs the coast and you will pass all sorts of unique houses
) to St. Augustine. Lots of neat little shops, history (including historic reenactments several times a year), and lovely Spanish architecture. Also you might want to stop along the way and take a look at Fort Matanzas National Monument, it's a little old Spanish fort surrounded by a beautiful park.

HTH, and enjoy your stay in Florida!

#3 ·
Culture in DB? ROFL! Well, there is the Dancing Avocado near City Island library...Mandala Books around the corner...uh, maybe you better just enjoy the weather? Walk on the beach, go to story times at the OB and City Island libraries to meet other mothers, try the LLL meetings...wear your baby in a sling and see who comes up to you! If you do drive up to St Aug, stop at Washington Oak state park and go for a stroll, I found a humongous shark tooth there, but don't tell anyone because it is illegal to remove stuff from state parks (I promise to give it back one day). HTH, Jody (no longer from OB)

#6 ·
thanks for all the suggestions. So far we've been hanging out at he library, goin to the beach, and Mandala books is a great little shop. We have definitely gotten some weird vibes with Maggie in the sling, especially when my husband is carrying her. I'm also having a hard time nursing in public, due to the fact that I am in a new place: I guess I'm just kind of uncomfortable overall. Where we live in Vermont, mamas are nursing their infants, toddlers and preschoolers everywhere: I've been here for over a month and I havn't seen one mother nursing her child. I'm going to the LLL meeting this month-hopefully I'll meet some people and begin to feel more comfortable. Again, thanks for the ideas.

#7 ·
Living in a new place can be very difficult. I know, I accidentally lived in OK for a year or so. There are other nursing sling babies there, I know at least a few of them personally! Try the LLL meetings, that might help. I usually found like minded mothers there. Best wishes...and wtg on a dh who knows how to use a sling! Oh how about the Farmers Market on Sat morn at City Island? Best wishes some more, jody

#8 ·
greetings to another vermonter!! we have lived in florida for almost 4 years and still miss vermont! i am not too far from you actually,i live in palm coast.do not expect to find things the same down here.you never will!
i know what you mean about the sling!! most people just stare at me,but i have had quite a few men ask me about it! i also nursed my ds til he was 4,in public. people,friends,would give me heck about that.oh well!
how long are you in florida?staying through the long,hot summer?

#9 ·
We're here until the end of July, my husband is going to the American Motorcycle institute. So, about six months to go. It's not that bad here I guess. Today we went to St. Augustine, we had a great time. I like the weather, I definitely don't miss the cold right now. Where in Vermont are you from?

#10 ·
Hi! we lived in northern VT. I grew up in Richmond and Essex.We miss the mountains and fall! we also miss having like minded friends!but,I have met a couple of good friends here.If you drive,you should come up to Flagler beach on friday! i meet some other moms there,all with babies.some of them I know and others I met just a couple of times.anyway we are meeting on fridays to let the babies play and us to chat.( and several of us nurse,yeah!)
PM me if you want to come or just to chat...

Jill

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.