TC MOMMAS, is it spring yet? FEB. 7th--13th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 02-07-2004, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you in or near the Twin Cities? Do you want to be? Well, then you have found your tribe! Woo hoo! Despite our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and interests, two things bond us together: living in the coldest place on earth... and the love for our children which warms us

Some of the individuals who post here meet weekly. If you are interested in attending a get together, please post your interest on the thread or send any one of us a PM. We welcome with open arms and minds the input of all parents, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, political view, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, etc.

The weekly tribe thread begins anew each Saturday. Watch for the new thread on the main Minnesota/Wisconsin board.
#2 of 40 Old 02-07-2004, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

hey mommas. up too early, just couldn't sleep...oh well!

hope to see ya'll later!
#3 of 40 Old 02-07-2004, 12:00 PM

Hoping to make it to SG today. G woke at 7:15 so I'm hoping she'll take an early nap & be cheerful for SG. We shall see.

She's sitting here barking at the computer. We were looking at dog pictures on the computer yesterday and I think she wants more. What an obsessed baby!
#4 of 40 Old 02-07-2004, 02:51 PM

#5 of 40 Old 02-07-2004, 04:47 PM

Woo Hoo!

I lost 5.4 pounds this week!!!! Yeah Weight Watchers - yeah breastfeeding! Yeah not having a stressful week (this coming week, I will be spending 5 days with my in-laws, so....I just hope to not GAIN any weight!!!

Hope you all had fun at SG -- too busy. James and I bought another chapter book -- we had just finished Charlotte's Web and just bought 2 Laura Ingalls Wilder books. He's enthralled.
#6 of 40 Old 02-07-2004, 08:19 PM

Saramama- Woohoo!!!! WTG!

Great to see everyone that made it today.

Jessikate- those are the right baggies, aren't they?

The mw was supposed to come over for the home visit, but needs to reschedule. So she's coming over sometime this week......

I needed to stop at Present Moment but forgot until I was halfway home.ggggrrrr, guess where I'll be tomorrow? I'm addicted to raspberry tea now and the skullcap seems help keep my sugar from getting all wonky. I found a cool book about postpartum care there by Aviva Jill Rom. It has some herbal bath recipes and all sorts of tea recipies. I'm excited to talk to my mw about them.

AmyRobynne~ How are you???????????
#7 of 40 Old 02-07-2004, 09:39 PM

Sara- Laura Ingalls are the bomb! I read all of them over and over again as a wee mpls-momma. You should check out the boxcar kids they RULE! Is W.W. friendly to the no dairy , sugar , wheat stuff? I was on it years ago and lost a ton of weight but I remember them having like a check list thing that was pretty conventional? Soild foods are so confusing for me right now... I just don't know what to do? I am trying like banana's and peas and such in a baby food grinder. Does that food book you were talking about have recipies for younger babies?

Wills- I have a WONDERFUL book by Aviva Romm call Naturally Healthy Childern and Babies , its got really good info dealing with everything from how to deal with clogged tear ducts (newborn issues) to whooping cough (don't buy the medical worlds scare tactics!) I'll lend it to you if your intrested? She's a smart cookie!

DAAM- We go to EP all the time! I didn't know "where" it was. We go ice skating there all the time. We took Otis for his Maiden Voyage on the ice in his baby sled s.s. otissere. When we got married we took everyone there afterwards iceskating my mommie was so drunkie she almost broke her head open (har,har) my FIL was as curl say agile as a mountain goat.
#8 of 40 Old 02-07-2004, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

jessikate, willows, starfire--so good to see you and yours today! know the kids had a great time seeing all the other kids!
hope they weren't too overwhelming for G and the slide!
and i know the "big kids" had a fun time, fixing stuff and all that!

studentmama--so so good to see you and DS today. funny that it has been so long, but the DSs seem so "the same" while my DD is so much more grown up now...hope to see ya'll again in the neat future!

the kids are at nana's so pete and i can pull the late night shift at trivia headquarters. going to sleep soon so i can get up 2ish...

we had a snow-rific time when we got home this aft. played on the huge hills on our cul-de-sac, sliding and going down on our bumms...so fun! i am so glad that it is finally warm enough to be able to get out and play for an extended period of time!
#9 of 40 Old 02-08-2004, 12:11 AM

Mpls -- not sure about the book having recipes for youngsters. I don't have it -- I just want it! As for little babes. I'm just using the Sears' Baby Book, which has a really nice section on solids -- ie when, what, what it does etc. I know from experience that cereal, bananas, rice and apple sauce (ie what growups eat when they have diarrhea) tend to constipate....just something to keep in mind.

My mom read the Wilder books to me and then I read them all over and over again. There is a cool used book store near me, so we went shopping together!

As for WW -- well, their suggestions are pretty basic, but I use the website (at a low fee) to input my own recipes to figure out how to count them. You can basically eat anything.
#10 of 40 Old 02-08-2004, 11:49 PM

Hey Mamas!

WAY TO GO SARA!! That is grrrreat!!

I'm still on my raw food kick and never expected to last this long. I even went and purchased a vitamix. HOLY COWS...I think I mean it.

LOVE AVIVA JILL ROMM! LOVE LOVE HER BOOKS! For various reasons I owe her info to helping me have a natural childbirth with Blue! Evening primrose among other things...

Mpls. After I saw you and your lovely clan at the Wedge, I was thinking we need to have a date and compare notes on all the stuff we have in common...and all the info. one has that the other wants...get your list going?! :-)

Willows do you still want the diaps? I think I replied to you on the swap thread...I bet you didn't see it.

I think I want to come to pigseye on friday. We don't have school and I've wanted to for some time...I miss you St. Paul mamas. Just have not been able to get to sg. Soon I hope.

Well, howbout the snow? It is cold, but at least it is beautiful outside.

daam...Blue has not nursed in three days. I distract him with water or nut milk...a backrub or hugs and kisses. I think it is time!

oh, and...after bath tonite Fish put on Blue's diaper and jammies *perfectly* before I could get to him! I hope it becomes a routine!!

Well it is really bedtime now and I'm off to a busy few days...have a good monday and start of the week mamas!

xoxo

#11 of 40 Old 02-09-2004, 12:49 AM

Yes, do come to Pigseye, Brown. Would love to see you and your boys again. Woo - a VitaMix? Too cool.

Sara, I loved the Little House books. I'm actually thinking about re-reading them now, LOL. Also loved The Borrowers and L.M. Montgomery's books, as well as anything with horses. Congrats on the weight loss! Awesome!

It's beautiful outside, G is sound asleep, I've got a purring kitty on my lap and my knitting close at hand. DH is next door sharing his beer with neighbors at the block party. I feel like I should do some sewing now that I'm getting my confidence up, but quiet and peace are prevailing. Plus, I really want to have this dang sweater done by Saturday.
#12 of 40 Old 02-09-2004, 01:21 AM

Hi Mommas, I've been missing in action the last week or so. Two of the organizations I work with, Vaccine Awareness Minnesota and the Minnesota Natural Health Coalition were invited to the Immunization Task Force meeting last Tuesday. The meeting was a discussion of Thimerosal (mercury) in vaccines. We thought it was such an important event, we flew in Dr. Mark and David Geier who are genetisists on the forefront of quality research on mercury and vaccines. I've been a little wrapped up with all of the details surrounding the visit.
On Friday we had a lovely play time with Emy and Emy's mommy. The girls had a blast in the snow and running around the house playing.
On Saturday my DH bought me a dishwasher! I'm so excited. I've never had one. It's the perfect way to say I love you man style...We hope to have it installed soon!!!
We took Roo ice skating for the first time today. She has a little pair of skates and was very proud of herself for doing it like the bigger kids at the rink. Of course she needed a great deal of assistence, but we all had fun none the less.
I think we'll try for EP tomorrow, provided the weather isn't too bad. Hope to see some of you there.

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#13 of 40 Old 02-09-2004, 02:05 AM

Browneyedgirl- Word. We should get together soon , Otissere and I will try to make it to pigs eye on Friday (if we wake up before the crack of noon) Love the shy baby , Autumn cunninghams son is like that too when I talk to her on the phone I can here him just talking and talking. Everytime I see him I tell him I know his game.

MamaV- Watched the video's they were great. I little depressing but much needed info. I wonder how many kids of behavior problems anger/actting out and such dealing with vax's? The "boys" in the video are great. I really want you to read dumbing us down , they talk about how vaxinations have made our kids slower and some other great stuff. Also if Roo is skating ... we should go to EP and skate . Oats has a sled and I own skates making it FREE. If roo has skates she's free and skates for you would be like four bucks for as long as you wanted.

We move in about 10 days , I'm so "nervous" I am such a werid control freak with moving and I have to relax and let danny and his friends move our stuff. My mom is trying to weasel into the picture and she keeps pushing to be left with otis all the time. (i.e. why dont' you just do that and I'll watch otis" and I really don't trust her and I just say "oh I don't want to leave him yet" and she gets totally offended.

jess- sock heel turning is about to happen.
#14 of 40 Old 02-09-2004, 12:13 PM

My ankles are basically healed. I am going to music today. First time out with the kids without dh in three weeks.

We went to EP with Nancy and family Friday night and it was a blast. May try to come today but Charlie has been napping early lately.

And speaking of Charlie, he is almost potty trained. Yippee!

Moon waiting for birthday update.

Smeta and Mpls, Angelyn loves baby visits. Thanks

Batty you and your family are always having fun. That is great. We have yet to sled and skate.

Another Laura Ingalls Wilder fan here.

Willow you can get red raspberry leaf tea at Whole Foods in St. Paul, not as far to drive.

Supi where are you? We may come to Pigseye Friday along with my friend Martha and family.
#15 of 40 Old 02-09-2004, 03:15 PM

: to Jasper! Happy birthing day to Marigold!

Only 12 more days till we're at a year here. I cannot believe it!

We'll be heading to EP when G wakes up. She went to sleep at 10:30 after being grouchy all morning.
#16 of 40 Old 02-09-2004, 03:24 PM

Happy B-day to J!!!

Brown~ I would still like them if we can ever meet up.lol

Kaje- Thanks for the idea but I needed skullcap too. I don;t know if Whole Foods carries it. i also dont know where W.F. is.lol Congrats on C using the potty.

I like to Laura Ingalls series too. S seems to prefer HP type books though.....Right now she's addicted to Madison Finn.lol

W is sleeping . Thank goodness, poor baby was so crabby she couldnt stand herself. The dog even ran from her. I think I need to get her sleeping in her crib. We've(I've) been trying to work on it but I asked dh to help. His solution is to tell her that it's time for bed and to not give me a hard time. How he thinks this helps is beyond me......

Happy B-day to my dh too!!! I'm making him manicotti for dinner....if I make it to the store. lol
#17 of 40 Old 02-09-2004, 05:51 PM

Happy birthday to Jasper and Kettie. Marigold now I know why I wanted to swing by after music today. And Doula, I will give you Kettie's gift along with Hannicks since I failed to give it to her at her party.

Charlie has been dry 28 hours!! Yeah! We did a big schabang putting the diapers in the basement. He had an accident yesterday morning but is doing great.

I want Manicotti.

What you all doing for Valentines Day? Any unique ideas for DH. I got all sappy reading a LOVE book at Wild Rumpus today. BOOHOO!
#18 of 40 Old 02-09-2004, 10:13 PM

hey mamas~

kj...thank you for the birthday wishes! yes i threw the party, and it was a smashing success!

daam (huge daam)...rough few nights, but i think i'm through the worst of it. the lack of sleep was worse than all the hocking up of loogies. happily for my dh, i've lost my voice; scream at the top of my lungs and it comes out a whisper. lol. kinda funny. ds is much better, but can't quite shake it.
stinky bil surprised us by flying in from mn for ds' birthday party! it made ds' whole month.
he got zillions of phone calls, handmade and store bought gifts galore, and got to be captain of his very own piratey crew for a day.
oh he also got his first pack of gum ever. (made dh get peelu, cuz he was going to buy bubbleyum or something) he thinks he's ultra cool for getting to chew gum.
all this is fine and dandy, but pales in comparison to the news i have for you. today we discovered that my baby boy has his first...LOOSE TOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he has been telling me for a year now that a tooth is loose, i'll check and see his entire head move with the attempt to move the alleged loose tooth. but this is the real deal! exciting!

~peace and love, moon, mama to a 6yo

mama to ds1(2-6-98) & ds2(7-28-09)
#19 of 40 Old 02-09-2004, 11:23 PM

Moon your post made my day!! yea!
#20 of 40 Old 02-10-2004, 12:43 AM

Happy Feb birthdays. If I remember there are a ton of Feb babies and mommas too. We didn't make it to EP today. Roo had a really rough night with tons of crying. We had a very quiet day at home and I'm hoping she sleeps well tonight.
Mpls-they took the ice rink out of EP. THey filled up the space with a monster of a play area. We love it. I'd love to get together and skate with you. I'm not that good. Learned as an adult and only have the cheapest pair of figure skates made which always mess me up because they have the toe pick which trips me. I have a couple of other videos too, Barbara Loe Fisher of NVIC and Dr. Jane Orient of the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons. THey spoke last year about informed consent and vaccines. Really good stuff. We're hoping to get the Geiers back in a few months and have another public meeting. Will keep you informed.
My sister, who is sick with the heart condition and such, is coming into town on her way to visit my Grandparents. My little nephew turns ONE on Feb 18th. Grandparents haven't seen him yet. My sis is having a hard time. She had a stroke about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Dr's can't do anything for her so they gave her pain meds and told her to take her trip, get help with the kids and pulled strings so that she can get into a neurologist in March. It's the Army system of medicine, not very speedy.
KJ-congrats to you and charlie for potty training!!! It will be so much easier with just one in diapers. I loved our visit a few weeks ago. Roo's been wearing her hat around the house. Your girl is so beautiful!
Well, we're off to bed. Happy Wednesday everyone!

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#21 of 40 Old 02-10-2004, 12:50 AM

Warm and snuggly birthday wishes to all!
#22 of 40 Old 02-10-2004, 01:03 AM

#23 of 40 Old 02-10-2004, 04:13 AM

happy birthday all babies!!

One of your closest friends in florida had a little girl yesterday , it was so exciting to talk to them. She was nine pounds what a big girl!

Moon I'm glad your party went well.

MamaV- I'm not a great skater , my skates were five bucks at savers. Just nice to get out of the house and not hate winter! I would love to actually see the Geiers. Its amazing how much parents owe those two. Otis is going to lose his cool byer
#24 of 40 Old 02-10-2004, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mpls_momma
One of your closest friends in florida had a little girl yesterday , it was so exciting to talk to them. She was nine pounds what a big girl!
is this your or our? If it is our, it's not Liz? I can't wait till it is 10 a.m. so I can call you.
#25 of 40 Old 02-10-2004, 12:44 PM

My daughter is two today. And still nursing which is great.

Here is some info on the doula rally coming on Feb 19th.

Hello Everyone,

The Third Party Committee has concluded that we won't have enough participants at the capital on February 19 to "rally" effectively for the sort of media attention originally hoped for. Susan feels pretty strongly (and she has asked folks who know) that we'd need a couple hundred people to have an effective "rally". Since the number of people who have committed to attend is well short of that, the focus is being changed to an education session!

Everyone who can, should meet in the capital rotunda at 1:00 on Thursday, Feb. 19!

Instead of speeches and demonstration-type activities, everyone who comes will be asked to deliver a flyer with information to their legislator. We'll have a video running constantly (the intro video with Dads as well as
Moms talking), signs citing research about doulas, and some of the comfort measures we provide. We'll also have information tables with copies of research papers and articles.

Your help is needed:

1) We'd love to have a huge crowd, so if you can possibly come, please come!!

2) Please look up your legislators and their office numbers in advance. Just go to www.leg.state.mn.us and click your way from "information" to your very own legislator.

3) If you can find the time, please make an appointment to see your legislators for five or ten minutes that day. You might also invite them to our information session - scheduled from 1:30 to 3:00pm (We'll use the 1:00-1:30 time to organize our presentation and materials).

4) If you have a particularly good piece of research about the doulas (not a magazine article, but a copy of a research article or an abstract from a mainstream source) bring it along.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO BE THERE!
WE ARE STILL INVITING THE PRESS, SO A GOOD SHOWING IS IMPORTANT.

Special thanks to those of you who have responded and plan to attend, as well as those of you who gave us addresses. Many of your clients have called, and we're expecting to see some of them at the rally. This will be a great event for doulas in Minnesota.

Thank you!!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#26 of 40 Old 02-10-2004, 05:26 PM

Yeah Sarah!

I'd like to know more about the Doula Rally -- is there a web site? What are you advocating for?
#27 of 40 Old 02-11-2004, 12:26 PM

Wow. Last night was tough.

S lost her temper over something silly( we can't even remember what) and told DH that he's 'just her step father' He looked like she slapped him and S couldn't seem to believe that her mouth had uttered those hurtful words.We coulldn't even respond, we were so shocked. We just sent her to bed and told her we'd discuss it tomorrow. I thought dh's heart would break. He looked so ready to cry. I don;t think S even realized how hurtful those words were till this morning when we talked.

We've always had the rule that 'steps' don't apply to people. The only steps in my house go from the basement to the dining room. No one has EVER said you're just my step daughter to S. Dh has never treated her any differently since W came. S is his daughter just as W is, that's how it's been. I don't know what put those words in my daughters mouth.

I don't know WTH is happening here. S is morphing into someone I don't like. Literally. I love my daughter but she is becoming more eager to hurt others emotionally. She says hurtful things and does things to hurt feelings. Her attitude stinks lately. She lashes out and wonders why saying 'I'm sorry' doesn't instantly 'fix' things like it did when she was younger.

Thank goodness she has a counceling appt. tomorrow. I'm really out of my league with this one.
#28 of 40 Old 02-11-2004, 02:08 PM

hey mamas~

will...wow honey that bites! i hope someone has some advice to offer, cuz i don't. really freaking sassy 6yo stuff is as far as i have gotten. of course i was an evil teen, but you don't need to hear that. hugs and love from me to you!

daam...ds is much better. still has a gooey nose, but it's nothing worrisome. dh looked as though he was coming down with this, but he happily did not. i'm still blowing my nose and gagging up thick balls of fire. did i mention i cannot stand the sight of boogers? foul foul foul. waiting for this to go away so i can whine about something else.

happy february birthdays! i'm not doing a good job of remembering. yes shocking i know. sorry if anyone has felt forgotten!

~peace and love, moon

mama to ds1(2-6-98) & ds2(7-28-09)
#29 of 40 Old 02-11-2004, 02:19 PM

Mamasitas! I need spring!

Moon -- ugh, boogers. I'm ther with you.

Helen -- big hugs to you and S.

DAAM --

www.artamotive.com in NE Mpls is having a winter close out sale with munchies today and tomorrow 4 - 9 pm.

Please come, Snow and I have kids' stuff there on sale (-25%)! Plus dozens of other artists. See the website for more info.
#30 of 40 Old 02-11-2004, 05:07 PM

williowsmamma- hey , I'm so sorry your dealing with that stuff. I "acted" out a lot as a pre-teen and teen. So I can see the "hurt" she is probably going through with all the tough shit with her dad and such. I don't want to give you any advice so these are just thoughts. She is testing the unconditional love waters. i.e I do this do they still love me? She probably needs both of you more than ever. HANG IN THERE!!!

Saramama the artamotive thang sounds cool , we might go on a walk by st.anthony main tonight and swing by.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page