Pagan Mamas February chit chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2004, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what is new with everyone??

not much here, we are still discussion if we should move. And if so, where.

I'm getting impatient for spring, which is on it's way here, so it won't be long.

Getting riled up about the Pres election this year.

really want a vacation in some sun and sand........

Getting ready for Anthesteria

what's new with everyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 01:20 PM

Well I was all ready for an early spring until Old Man Winter blessed us with 95 centimetres (3 feet) of snow!
After my Imbolc ritual it got warm and sunny, but that only lasted for a week or so. I have never seen so much snow in my life! Our entire province is buried!
I like this idea of a new thread each month.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:23 PM

I am rather impatient for Spring as well. I so want to be able to loose the coat and stick my hands into some soil. LOL. Of course snow is in the forcast for this weekend.

My folks are moving to VA, so we have been helping them pack and close their house (transferred there for 3 years).

Our clutch kicked the bucket so we are carless, which stinks. Public transportation in the area is pretty pathetic. I am hoping dh's uncle will be able to do the repairs needed quickly (and cheaply). Dh and I both get paid bi-weekly and of course the car dies on the between week.

Arduinna, what is Anthesteria? Doesn't it have something to do with Dionysos?

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 02-20-2004, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, 3 feet of snow!!! I can't even imagine. Can ya open the front door??? (can you tell I've always lived in southern climes?)

Indigo, sorry about your car :-(

what is Anthesteria? Doesn't it have something to do with Dionysos?

yep, you got it. it's a three day festival. first day marking the opening of the new wine casks, second day is a drinking contest and the ritual marriage of Dionysos and the third day is an offering to Kthonic Hermes and the dead.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:59 PM

Well, we could open our door, but we're in a second floor flat. Neighbours downstairs and next door had problems. The way it drifted, our lawn is mostly bare, with drifts 6 feet or higher. A friend down the road told me this morning that her neighbours across the road literally have to search and dig for their car, it was completely buried!
Old 02-20-2004, 02:22 PM

We are ok.
Dh is looking for a job, I am hating mine...
Lots of financial troubles.. so I am really going to be working with the idea of abundance this spring.

If I ever get a minute I need to start researching for writing a ritual around that... also one on sexuality.

I don't know.. I just have a lot of turbulance in my life right now..
Is that normal before the light comes?
Maybe the coming light is illuminating this stuff and that is why it is all dumping on me?
Old 02-21-2004, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry things are hard right now Asherah, I hope they get better asap.

it's raining today
Old 02-21-2004, 02:54 PM

Thanks for starting this thread, Arduinna.

Things are pretty chaotic here. DH had been working in southern Cali in Dec/Jan, and one of his old friends told him that if he ever wanted to move back down that he coudl get him a job where he works. So, we decided to go for it and dh quit his job and went down to stay with his sister. The job that this guy promised has still not shown up (it's been 2 weeks), and in the meantime dh can't get unemployment and hasn't found a job yet. The original plan was that he would go down and get a job and work and save up some money and when he had found a house the family would move. When we found out he didn't have a job right away, my parents offered to let us stay with them while we find a place. We were going to move the end of March, but I moved it up to the beginning of March. So now we are packing and tying up loose ends for the move. Celebrating Ostara at my parents house will be interesting, I am sure. :LOL
Old 02-21-2004, 03:02 PM

I guess I'm a Pagan
Although I haven't done enough research to celebrate pagan holidays "properly". I have my own little rituals, though. They're just really unorganized and don't have much rhyme or reason
The weather is beaaaautiful here today..... good goddess, it's finally starting to feel like spring! Hooooray!
My dh lost his job yesterday, and after we ranted and raged and cried for hours, we came to see this as a blessing in disguise. I don't think we are humble enough. We found reason to whine and mope all the time. Yuck! I can't stand people like that! So we decided that the Universe will not bestow blessings on those people who are not grateful. So that is the lesson we are working on right now. Gratitude and joy for what we have, not for what we don't have. Then, our friend who we've helped out for the past seven years as he's been on and off of crack, in and out of jail, etc. gave us a call and needed a place to sleep. It opened our eyes and we welcomed him with open arms. It gave us a lot to meditate on. You always think things are bad 'til you see something worse, ya know?
I've also been opening my eyes to the difference between sympathy and compassion. It started on Sat. night when, after our favorite band wrapped up their show, a homeless man came to us needing money. I won't get into it, but it was one of those incidences in life that slammed a lesson home in an instant that I've been taking years and years to try and understand.
Gee, thanks for reading my novel. That's what my week's been like thus far!
Old 02-21-2004, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Khris and Candiland (and others) I'm so sorry that so many of us have been having work related problems.

that all obstacles clear and successful work arrives asap!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:23 AM

Well, the kids are finally feeling better--ds had scarlet fever and dd#1 had a really bad case of strep throat that seemed to be coming back, but thank Goddess seems to be better today. Poor thing, she doesn't get sick often, but when she does, it is miserable. Dd#2 somehow managed to make it through with nothing major.
As for work, this is a slow time of year for dh but a busy time of year for me. I teach SAT preparation to high schoolers and do private tutoring--the next SAT is at the end of Mar. so I'm super busy now. All of the public schools will no longer have funding for these sorts of programs (you know, ones that help their students go on to college) come next year, so they are trying to spend the money they've got before it's gone. That bums me out because I work one-on-one with a lot of wealthy families and working at the public schools is the only way I can get to the kids who are really in need of a lot of help. (Don't get me started!: ) As of the end of this school year, I won't be able to do that anymore because of budget cuts.
Um, what else...we are still trying to decide about the moving thing too. We know that we need to get out of this town/city, we just don't know where...I think I'm hoping the answer is just going to hit me in the head, but I'm not having much luck trying to figure it out myself.
It's supposed to rain here all week, which sucks cuz we'll be more or less stuck inside since the kids are really only borderline well, but is great as we really need the rain and everything will be all gorgeous and green!
Trying to think of something positive to end on......oh!
My tax return came!!!
Hope everyone has a good week!!

Old 02-23-2004, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

AF is kicking my butt (I hope I go into menopause soon already) and I feel like crap and my mind doesn't seem to be working correctly.

No tax refund yet, but we should get it soon.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just wanted to say I finished PAGAN PARENTING by Kristin Madden....it was excellent and I highly recommend it if you havent read it already.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:41 PM

Wow! sorry to hear so many people having such a bad month! Things are going pretty well here. DS had his first stomach bug two saturdays ago, but is now doing fine. Of course now the sitter's son has it, so we're missing daycare again this week for at least today and probably tomorrow. at least DH isn't as busy this week and can take some of it so I can catch up at work.

Speaking of books: I really liked Pagan Parenting, I also enjoyed Raising Witches (sorry, can't recall the author off-hand). My favorite for activities and stories though is Circle Round -Raising Children in the Goddess Tradition by Anne Hill (and the CD is fun , which was out of print for a while but has been reprinted.

sending wishes for the spring energies to pick up and make everyone's life a little better!

Blessings,

-debbie )O( wife to J., mom to P. (12/21), L. (4/30)

Old 02-24-2004, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

ok, if I didn't know better I'd swear mercury was retrograde or something. I've been having mechanical problems with my car luckily nothing major just need a new thermostat I think. Definately been having communication problems too.

anyone else??
Old 02-24-2004, 07:21 PM

Yep, still having car probs and with the colds going around everyone has such short tempers.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 02-24-2004, 07:42 PM

Well, there is a never a time when I am NOT having car trouble: but I would say I am havinga little bit of communication trouble too. Which IS highly unusual for me. And not a good thing since I teach! I said the dumbest things to someone yesterday without meaning too and it was not what I meant to say at all--it just came out lame and may have offended them. I'll have to call and apologize/try again. I am off to go teach a class right now--math!--so I hope I can manage to communicate effectively there or we'll all be in big trouble! Math is not an easy language to speak in the first place!
Of course, I just figured it was me being tired and my moon cycle starting, etc....but if it's not just me....well that makes me feel a little better!:LOL
Today is my dad's birthday which has nothing to do with anything except that I will be eating cake later. mmm, chocolate...definitely part of the AF food pyramid...
I have got to get Pagan Parenting...that is one I never have gotten my hands on.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:34 PM

I am really after a copy of Pagan Parenting. It seems it's out of print, so it's hard to find, especially in Canada. Would love to find a used copy
Old 02-24-2004, 08:51 PM

as of 5 minutes ago Amazon.com had 1 used and 1 new copy of Pagen Parenting for sale... that's how I found mine some months ago. if they're out I usally have good luck with google, the name of what I want, and the word "price".

good luck!

-debbie )O( wife to J., mom to P. (12/21), L. (4/30)

Old 02-24-2004, 11:33 PM

Pagan homeschooling is also a good book.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:41 AM

There is a copy of Pagan Parenting on Ebay right now too--auction ends in a couple days. Half.com usually has at least one copy available too.
I think I remember hearing that Pagan Parenting and Pagan Homeschooling have a lot of similar info..or maybe it was that Pagan Homescholing had a lot of similar info to other homeschooling books? What do you think khrisday? Or anyone else who has read both? Is it worth it to buy both if they can be located?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:22 AM

She only ships to U.S. :-(
I'd like to read Pagan homeschooling too, but I'm most interested in the stuff about younger children, since I found that is where Circle Round really lacks.
point.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:33 PM

The general homeschooling info is what is in most homeschooling books I guess, but I think it's worth the price for the other information she has. It's not a very expensive book.

User Tag List