regarding vegetarian babies/children and your extended family... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-12-2004, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

I've been vegetarian for over 20 years and my husband for about 5yrs. Still my family is so dumb about things. Like they think that james WANTS to eat meat but I will not allow him. So, whenever we visit they try to give him "meat sneaking oppertunity"... he explains that he's vegetarian and all and they just kind of laugh?!?! Baylor is now 13 months and will be almost 15 months when we visit. We're raising him vegetarian--- that's that. There's no room for arguing that and we started explaining that to everyone BEFORE he was even born. I'm now afraid to EVER leave him alone with them as I think they'll try the "meat sneaking oppurtinity" thing with him- and he's to little to understand that for sure!!

What would you do? How many times can it be explained before I just give up and go with the "I don't trust my own family" route and only allow supervised visits? Luckily Bay is very high needs and leaving him alone with anyone is doubtful for now and he's SUCH A PICKY EATER I doubt he'd let meat in his mouth to begin with...but what if?

Kimberley:
#2 of 11 Old 04-12-2004, 03:08 PM

I feel for ya... with some family members weve told them we are vegetarian and khaila has an allergic reaction to dairy...we only see them maybe 4 times a year so its not big deal.... i worry cuz when my mom comes to canada to visit dd she has tried to give her food..but dd tells her its not vegetarian so she wont have it... and she voices her opinion and thats good.... so maybe til ur dc is older u might have to make sure they dont... i would also warn or tell them not to do it.... and talk about the situation as you do not want ur child to have these items...

it can be difficult being the only vegetarians in the family... u have ur dh's support which is great...i know how u feel dd and i are the only vegans... my brother is vegetarian but he used to be in the military so that might have changed... lol...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#3 of 11 Old 04-12-2004, 08:34 PM

OH! I didn't know we were over here already! Or is this not a tribe yet? I thought the food log was to proove that we had enough interest to have a tribe. : I'm confuzzled!! LOL

Anyway...so far I'm the only vegetarian in both of our families. I just made the switch about a month ago. My dh eats veggie here at home b/c that's all I cook. But when he's eating out or at his parent's house he eats meat. Same with my dd's. I'm not real strict with them.....yet. I think I'm scared of the reaction from family if I refuse meat to my dd's. I just don't feel like dealing with their crap.

My Mom lives out of state so we don't see her often. I was at her house a few weeks ago and she asked me about why I switched. I think that she thinks I'm weird.

A lot of help I am to ya huh?? lol
#4 of 11 Old 04-12-2004, 11:50 PM

teachin

we are trying to pop up enuff posts about vegetarian/vegan issues to get our own forum...

so any issues or what not start a thread and get answers..lol... i c new subforums popping up alot these days... so i hope we get one too... it would be nice... hint hint to those higher ups... :LOL

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#5 of 11 Old 04-13-2004, 11:23 AM

My family has been vegan for about 5 years now and my MIL is the one who has the hardest time with this. We live about 1000 miles apart so we don't see them all that often, but when we do, she still tries to get my dh to eat meat and sometimes my ds, too. With him, though, it's more of a problem with dairy foods (ie. ICE CREAM!) She thinks I'm depriving my children of a full childhood because I don't allow them to eat tons of sweets etc.

The thing that is most frustrating to me is that her husband just had triple by-pass surgery with 3 stints (sp?) put in and now 8 months later they are all 60% blocked. His own heart doc thought maybe he should try a veggie diet for a month to see if he can get his cholesterol down, but it's falling on deaf ears. Since we have become vegan, we hardly ever get sick anymore, even when we are surrounded by tons of sick people. I don't try to push my lifestyle choices onto them and I wish they would honor me with the same! I feel for ya!
#6 of 11 Old 04-13-2004, 06:37 PM

vegiemom - not to be harshing on your wanting to start a tribe for vegies, but have you checked out the "nourishing traditions" subforum? Myself being veg, I'd have to agree that practically the entire "Good Eats" is in the hands of vegs. I mean, seriously, someone could easily be harshed for posting meatloaf Q's on there, but nobody would make a peep against any veggie or vegan Q's. It seems that it already is a veg forum.
Aaaaanyhow~ We decided to keep the kids vegie until 2.5. My mom could not stop giving us sh*t about it. We tryed leaving DS1 with her for an hour and that didn't turn out good, to say the least. So she has no alone time with kids when they're little. She knows it and has come to expect it. Now Clay's old enough to tell her what he will and will not eat. Like, we're staying at her house now and she routinely tells him that cow's milk is good for him. But he's smarter than that, and is old enough to tell her otherwise and bust out the soymilk!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#7 of 11 Old 04-13-2004, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dready*mama
I'd have to agree that practically the entire "Good Eats" is in the hands of vegs. I mean, seriously, someone could easily be harshed for posting meatloaf Q's on there, but nobody would make a peep against any veggie or vegan Q's. It seems that it already is a veg forum.
I don't really agree with you on that one... i havent seen anybody get harsh with someone posting a meatloaf Q.. but i have seen ppl adovcating that they were once veg and eating meat is the only way that made them feel better when a veg asks a question... and of course there have always been veg vs omni debates there too.. i know im usually part of them :LOL

and some ppl have asked for veg recipes and gotten recipes with meat and such in it.. well i havent gone through that personally..but i remember someone stating it would be nice to have our own forum to avoid that...

ok off to post more.. now that i have reached 1000 posts its on to 10,000 posts... j/k :LOL

#8 of 11 Old 04-13-2004, 09:30 PM

I tend to agree with Tricia on the "good eating" thing. Just the fact that Weston Price info and website is linked to over and over there tells you vegies are not running that forum. Have any of you read his stuff on breastfeeding?
I did venture into the "nourishing tradtion" thread and found it to be somewhat anti-veg and basically the overall feel was veg is unhealthy.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#9 of 11 Old 04-13-2004, 10:05 PM

I just wanted to add that some of the info on the Weston Price site I agree with. It is however very anti-veg. I agree with the unprocessed food, good fats and stuff like that. I am not a low-fat eater or advocate in any way. That is not why I am veg.

To answer the original posters question I would just keep your little one in your site until he is old enough to voice that he doesn't eat meat. With family members that I wasn't sure if they would feed my kids something we don't let them eat, I just wouldn't leave them alone with those individuals.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#10 of 11 Old 04-14-2004, 12:32 AM

hmmm... I still don't think there should be a seperate veggie forum. Do you really read the meatloaf Q's anyways? I wouldn't. And plus ~ how are all the omni's and carni's gonna learn about new exciting and yummy ways to eat good veggie food if we have our own forum. You know they'd never be caught dead lurking on it.
Yah, you should definatly be near DC when grandma is there. This last thanksgiving, my mom thought it would be a stellar idea to give little 4mos old DS a turkey bone to suck on. There are so many things wrong and just plain weird about that! At least we had another veg family there to laugh about it with us.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#11 of 11 Old 04-14-2004, 12:45 AM

I hear ya! Actually, ds became a vegetarian on his own. I had fallen off the wagon so to speak:LOL and was eating meat occationally, then he decided that he did not want to eat meat. Now we are totally vege again! Some of my friends and family told me that I should not push my thoughts on him! I was like, umm he decided himself(he is 4 been veggie for about 2 yrs) Well, except when G&G would give him hot dogs! Now, he is old enough to ask for what he wants.

I basically tell people that I respect his choices and theirs as well, so please respect mine!

Funny side note: We went and got ice cream the other day-he got sorbet and there was cows on the cones-he was like oh mama this is a cow???? He was so worried! Whenever he sees an animal on food items it's a

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page