Question about Nashville Schools - University School, Waldorf, Montessori, Public etc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-05-2004, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, we are thinking of relocating to Nashville or north of in a year or two. I grew up in Chatt. and then my parents retired to a farm North of Nash in robertson county. My dh is a teacher and we currently live in AZ but want to move to be near my folks and find better schools for our kids. We looked at the public schools and were not terribly impressed (but we looked north of nash in my folks county and not at any nashville area schools).

We are also considering living just north of them in KY because the KY schools seem overall MUCH better funded and better overall. However, I am now also considering commuting to a private school in Nashville. What can you tell me about private schools? The main issue is we are not religious and DO NOT want a religious school. The best bet I have found so far is the UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF NASHVILLE - a K12 private school affiliated with Peabody College. Does anyone know anything about this school? I might also consider Waldorf or Montessori. So any feedback, info or suggestions on private schools in Nashville would be appreciated. Thanks - Josie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-05-2004, 10:40 PM

Hi, Josie...

Nashville Parent keeps a database of private schools in the area. Here is a link below. Let me know if it does not work for you as I am currently logged into their site.

http://www.parentworld.com/downloads/1_PSD%20(graph).pdf

I can't offer you any information on the University School as I don't know of any families whose children have attended. By all accounts, the Williamson County (Franklin/Brentwood) schools are considered to be good public schools should that interest you at all. Heaven knows that county has enough money to pay for everything.

Good luck!

--Doni

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#3 of 5 Old 05-19-2004, 03:02 PM

I went to USN K-12, and I loved it so much. I would send my kids there in a heartbeat, if I still lived in Nashville. My DH went there 8-12th grades and he feels the same way. The only drawback I can think of, is that tutition is expensive, but I still think it's worth it. They offer a lot of scholarships too. I taught in Metro for a year, and I just know how much better of an education children get at USN and in a school that has resources and isn't falling apart.

A financial goal my DH and I have is to fund a scholarship to USN, so that a child can receive the same great education we did for 13 years for free.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Jennie
#4 of 5 Old 05-20-2004, 08:54 PM

This is my delurking post! I have lived in Nashville for almost two years now. I was a teacher in Illinois before moving here. I taught for Nashville/Davidson County Public Schools for 1 day and came home and told my husband I would not be teaching the following year. The only way I would encourage a parent to send a child to a N/DCPS is if the child was at one of the many magnet schools. I would not recommend any good teacher teach here due to the lack of respect, not nescessarily by students but definitely the administration all the way up to the director of schools. (I could go on and on about this but won't) N/DCPS runs both montessori and Podeia (I'm sure that isn't the right spelling) magnet schools but due to budget cuts I'm not sure they will be operating in 1-2 years. I have heard WONDERFUL things about the Waldorf school here. I know that Nashville has a homeschooling population and that there of several cases where a group of parents have gotten together and hired a teacher for their children to be taught by. I hope this helps!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#5 of 5 Old 05-27-2004, 07:37 PM

I am sure some counties have better public schools than others, but TN public schools rank among the very worst in the nation overall. I would strongly urge you to look into homeschooling your children, if that is at all possible in your situation. http://www.tnhomeed.com/ is a good place to get started. I think that's where I found my very wonderful homeschool group (in Chatt).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page