Mothering Forum banner

Considering Moving to Phoenix

449 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  JeanetteL 
#1 ·
I am soon to be a single Mom and I am considering Phoenix.

I have a masters in Special Education and will look for a teaching position in the Middle or High school level. Which districts are considered good? Part of my reason for moving is to be able to afford to buy a home for my son and myself. Here in Silicon Valley I can not buy a 20 yr old 1200 sq ft no frills home ($450,000). Which areas around Phoenix are nice and safe? I have heard that there are some gang problems in the North and West areas...and there do seem to be a lot of the new home construction in those areas.

I tolerate heat much better than cold...but some of the posts I read are quite daunting.

Any advice? Thoughts?

#2 ·
Hi,

You already know about the heat, so I won't talk about that. (But it is reeeally hot!) Home prices are reasonable compared to CA, and we have many nice neighborhoods. But teachers don't get paid as much here as they do in other states. My son is in a charter school, but I've heard good things about the Mesa, Deer Valley and Peoria Unified school districts. And there's nice places to live within all those districts.

Phoenix is growing dramatically, so you should have no trouble getting a teaching position, especially if you'd like to live in one of the newer, outer communities. (I personally love Estrella Mountain Ranch, but I don't live there and don't know anything about the school district.)

Have you spent any time in Phx? That may help you decide if you even like it here.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck in your decision.

#3 ·
Thanks this does help! I have only driven through Phoenix...and even though I like the heat I know the first summer or two will be tough. I do need to find a place where I can teach and buy a home for the two of us. I checked salary and Phoenix unified is about 10,000 less than I was making before I had my baby. Homes are 350 - 400 thousand less than here. So it seems like a good option. ALso, if I get homesick for CA I can take southwest airlines into LA for a weekend or when he is older make the drive. I have driven across country and from San Jose to El Paso before so that doesnt bother me.

My main concern is finding a good child care for him. That really scares the daylights out of me. I always intended to be a stay at home mom and leaving him all day makes me ill. I am so scared for him. We nurse to sleep and we nurse when we wake. He actually holds my hand and walks to bed happily. We cuddle and read and going to bed is pleasant as is waking up. I shudder to think of teaching children while my own is lying on a mat on a floor in some daycare and he is missing me.

All in all this is pretty scary...though I know financially I can support us.

Any and all info is so welcomed...thank you.

#5 ·
Hi,
I have lived here for 24 years-we moved here when I was 10. There is a lot of pluses and minuses about Phoenix. Of course the salary problem, but housing prices are cheaper compared with CA. There isn't really that big of a gang problem that I can tell. There are gangs in the old South Phoenix and in the Maryvale area, and there are taggers everywhere. I live in a 1400 sq ft 34 year old house and the houses in my neighborhood go for $115,000-$135,000. Very modest. Some of the new houses in the Surprise area go for $110,000 and up-very cheap for a new house. There has been some problems with new costruction because the builders are cutting too many corners.
About daycare...I have a friend who has her son in a school district type daycare and it is very structured. She lives in Chandler, another subburb in the South East valley. She has had no problems. I can imagine it is hard to make a decision to move to another area, I know it was for my parents 24 years ago.
Take care!
Julie

#6 ·
I live in Central Phoenix and have seen very little gang activity and not even a whole lot of tagging. I work for a school district in the area and would not recommend it, but I have heard great things about Peoria schools from people with kids there. You could find a nice house on the far west side (like the Surprise/El Mirage area) and still commute to Peoria ok. I feel for you having to leave your son all day. It tears me up every day to leave my girls and I understand the pain.

Oh-one option for childcare is to work for a high school with a daycare there. That way you can go see your son on your planning periods and at lunch. I talked to a mom who did this and it worked out great. I don't know what schools have a day care but you could check around.

All the best as you step out in this new venture.

#7 ·
"Oh-one option for childcare is to work for a high school with a daycare there. That way you can go see your son on your planning periods and at lunch. I talked to a mom who did this and it worked out great. I don't know what schools have a day care but you could check around."

This is a great idea! Peoria district high scools have this. It's called "COOP". An acronym for something I forget what. Parents I know with kids in COOP have loved it.

There--we've fixed everything for you, Laila! You can move to Phx, now.

Just kidding. Best of luck in your decision-making.

#8 ·
WOW!

I am calling Peoria today!

I have been laying awake after nursing...worrying like crazy! My poor little guy. I will call and speak with them.

Also...please share with me...how life is like in Phoenix. Here in my area of CA people go to the beach a lot and do a lot of hiking. Due to the temperature being moderate year round people here are very outdoorsy...unless they are too into their computers. Also, people are pretty laid back and most of my friends are definitely very health conscious. Shopping at WHole Foods and Trader Joes and buying organic. I have several friends who are Vegetarian and several who are Vegan. I have a large gp of AP friends and that is a blessing. I do have some friends though who are shop till you drop and there is no lack of that here...anything from NOrdstroms to Gucci to Escada to my best friend who swears by Goodwill in San Fran.

Please fill me in...oh yeah...I love to eat. Always did...and since I have been nursing I am always hungry. Here in the Monterey and SF areas..we have a huge choice of very fine small restaurants. Then of course there is the Napa Valley. Prices are not too bad...and I just love to eat!

#9 ·
Hey Laila,

I think you'll find the same gamut here. But probably in general less crunchy. But it's easy to be crunchy here, 'cause of all the great places to shop.

I'm surprised to see how outdoorsy people are here, even when it's hot. (I'm not one of them!) And we have so many wonderful places to eat! (You sound like my kind of folk!)

But, I have to be honest here, Phx pales in comparison to where your from. We're nowhere near as beautiful. And it just has a different...feel. I think if I was used to hanging out in Napa Valley and then had to move here, I'd be homesick every day. But I guess these are the things that make Phx so much less $$. It just sounds to me like you'd be giving up a lot...

Please visit if you're seriously considering this move. I'd be happy to show you around. If you are meant to live here, you'll know.

Peace,
Katrina

#10 ·
Thank you so much Katrina.

Yeah I know I will be homesick for CA. It is the longest I have ever lived anywhere (since 87). I grew up as an army brat so we never put down roots. I looked up all my favorite business and it seems that phoenix will have them. I just worry I will miss my friends and professional contacts (although I make friends fast and it is a short flight from Phoenix to San Jose). It is very multicultural here with Indian restaurants and stores on almost every street corner...wonderful asian grocery stores (although i see you all do have 99 Ranch), Persian restaurants, ethiopian, phillipino, arabic, etc. I will miss the redwoods and the ocean. But....I can never afford to buy a home here. That is the drawback. I also do not want to be harassed by my ex on a daily basis. So phoenix is sounding wonderful...and I am hoping there are a lot of Mothering and AP mommas out there for me to form friendships with.

#11 ·
Hi Laila,
I wanted to invite you to join our Azmamas email list - a great way to connect with like minded mamas currently residing in the valley, and to get a real sense of different areas/neighbourhoods/school districts from people who live there. We have had several people join when they were considering a move for this exact purpose, and would love to help you figure things out. The link is in my sig line.

Jeanette

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.