Mothering Forum banner

Portland mamas- help me help my friend!

576 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  newmainer 
#1 ·
Hey everyone in portland...

My best friend is due to give birth any day now, and is *so* scared. she is really overwhelmed by birth and everything that is happening to her and will happen as new parents. She is having a hospital birth (they live across the street) and I am pretty sure that she feels confident in her OB. I believe its a women's practice. Anyway, when I talked to her last night, they were beginning to interview doulas, which i strongly supported.

But my real worry (because, tho birth can be scary, it ends and then the
*real* challenge of being a new parent begins) is the postpartum stage. I am concerned about her receiving enough bf support and postpartum support.

Do you all know of any support groups for new moms? nursing support groups? when/where are LLL meetings? I'd like to compile a list and print it out and send it to her so she doesn't have to research this. i think even though she might have the information somewhere, i want to have it be a no-brainer- like she doesn't have to go searching in the phonebook or something.

So- tell me your best resources!!

Thanks-

See less See more
#2 ·
There are a number of LLL groups in Portland depending on where she lives... You mentioned she is near a hospital so perhaps she is in SE Portland or NE Portland? If so, the group in north/northeast Portland meets the second Thursday of each month at 10am at Rose City Park United Methodist Church, 5830 NE Alameda. The southeast group meets the third Tuesday of each month at 10am at Eporth United Methodist Church, 1333 SE 28th (503.282.9377) Visit www.lalecheleague.org for other groups and their contact info and meeting times.

The new moms groups at hospitals are pretty good resources, too. They are usually free to moms who give birth at the particular hospital: Providence Health SYstem 503.216.6595 Legacy Health System 503.413.4840 Kaiser Permanente 503.286.6816 Tuality Health Educaton Center 503.681.1700

I'm also a birth and postpartum doula, albeit not currently accepting clients because I am awaiting the birth of our first baby anytime now. I am going to PM you with the names of some of my colleagues that she can contact for additional support.

warmly,
claudia

#3 ·
thanks claudia. I really appreciate it...

#4 ·
I go to the new mom's group at Good Sam, and I know this is true of Emanuel, also -- they are facilitated by childbirth educators / laction consultants. I know our facilitator (michelle) has helped many of the women in there. Also, I've heard wonderful things about a woman named Dixie. She's a little pricey -- $120 / session, but well worth it. I know 2 people that have hired her and been extremely encouraged, and have had good bf'ing experience from then forward. (one has twins!)

#6 ·
Thanks all- I forwarded the information you have given me so far. I hope she hasnt' gone into labor yet! wasn't able to get ahold of her tonight. i'll keep sending her whatever you come up with.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.