Veg Mamas Tribal Roll Call and Veg Support - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What variety of a veggie eater do you consider yourself?
vegetarian ( maybe dairy or eggs) 25 30.49%
Lacto/ovo veg ( dairy and eggs) 31 37.80%
Vegan ( no dairy or eggs) 23 28.05%
Other ( please! Educate us!) 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 338 Old 05-18-2004, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I searched and could not find a veggie mamas tribe so how about starting one?
Aside from posting in Nutrition and Good Eating ( please don't move us there) where most veg discussions turn political/ religious/ or stray way off topic.

So mamas, what variety of vegetarianism do you adhere to ? How long? Did you have an epiphany or was it a slow progression? How is the family handling it all???

My answers: ethical L/O vegetarian. No milk, some orgainc cheeses and organic eggs. 2 DD's are the same, and DH feeds his carnivorous cravings when we eat out. :LOL

My veg epiphany came 4 weeks PP with my first child 8 years ago , sore boobs, very blue, driving along and see a cow nursing her calf. I swore off dairy at that day.

Began frequenting a local organic farm and it forever changed how I see food production, especially meats.

I am a minority in my area, but after 8 years I have no problems just telling it like it is. I am seeing my 8 year old get a bit of flack occasionally, but she is at a Montessori school that is very liberal and accepting. My 3 year old has no concept of the politics behind her favorite cubed tofu.
#2 of 338 Old 05-18-2004, 10:11 PM

Hello.... Her Royal Veganness Has Arrived :LOL

Well i went vegan overnight on sept 30, 2003.. i watched a few PETA movies and i was done... i couldnt stand the stuff they do... and upon researching more and more im glad i did... dd is also vegan ...she doesnt like the thought of eating her friends... thats about it... i belong to various vegan boards so when mdc gets me down from time to time with some of the anti-veg sentiments or posts i go to my boards and feel renewed again... ( i know im weird) its nice knowing in some places i aint the minority...

so hi to all the fellow vegetarians...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#3 of 338 Old 05-18-2004, 10:16 PM

Hello there

I'm a vegan for ethical reasons, though also increasingly for health reasons. My 12 month old daughter is also vegan, though my husband is not. I've been vegetarian for about 12 years, and vegan for about 8 of them. I went vegetarian pretty abruptly, but going vegan was a long process.

~Mandy
#4 of 338 Old 05-18-2004, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome to MDC Mandy. I too went veg pretty abruptly. Luckily, I was never a huge meat fan so it did not bother me very much. Did have to relearn my meals and cooking though!

bowing to the High Veganness ( is that a word???) Glad to see you here too.
The organic farm I visited after dumping dairy, well they showed me the meat your meat video too, and then I was really done!
I have a link to the MEATRIX video on my homepage...
#5 of 338 Old 05-18-2004, 10:42 PM

My family and I are ovo-lacto veg. I have been veg for almost 10yrs. I first stopped eating all meat and then quit drinking/cooking milk. Then I quit eating eggs. For a brief while I was vegan (got preg and didn't last), unfortunately I was doing it for reasons other than health/ethics (to be thin). I now eat free range eggs , cheese, yogurt , butter etc...
I started being veg for health/ethical/enviromental reasons.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#6 of 338 Old 05-18-2004, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysMama
bowing to the High Veganness ( is that a word???) Glad to see you here too.
Who knows but for the last remaining few days i have to make my title known.. i will cry when my ddddc goes away....

Quote:
The organic farm I visited after dumping dairy, well they showed me the meat your meat video too, and then I was really done!
I have a link to the MEATRIX video on my homepage...
I tried watching Meet your Meat and i think the first 30 secs was a cow being hung up and beaten.. i didnt make it past that... i cried for hours.. and gave up meat.. i watched the KFC video and hurled.... I love that MEATRIX clip its hilarious....

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#7 of 338 Old 05-18-2004, 10:49 PM

I went veggie in the 8th grade after reading "the jungle" and "diet for a new america". Pretty heavy stuff for 8th grader. Anyways...I just stoped. I couldnt handle eating all htat meat. And my family(mom) was really cool about it. Always trying to make me something good and healthy. Now 14 years later, I have been an ever changing veggie. At first I ate eggs and cheese. Then I didnt. Then I did, Then I was a vegan. Then I got preggo and ate *gasp* fish. What I really wanted were whoppers from burger king but I knew I wouldnt be able to handle that emotionally. They smelled so good but sounded too gross. I no longer eat fish. But DP and DD both do which is an ocasional piece of wild salmon from whole foods(which I cannot stand that store any longer. all thoese rude yuppies drive me crazy) So anyways, now I do eat eggs and cheese. I love stinky cheese and dont think that I can ever give it up again.

darkstar
#8 of 338 Old 05-18-2004, 10:57 PM

Yay!! So happy we have our own tribe!

I have been a vegetarian since Jan. 2003 and vegan since Aug. 2003. I'm having a hard time with veganism, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and remind myself constantly why I made this lifestyle change. For me, it's all about the animals. I really, really love animals. I always have, but it took me 23 years to figure out that I was contributing to their torture and suffering. The story of how I got there is too long, but I do have to tell you all one funny thing. The week before I went veg, I started the Atkins diet!! After 2 days, and preparing my first whole roaster chicken, it hit me like a ton of bricks what exactly I was doing. I felt overwhelming guilt.
The family thing is tricky for me. I am the only veg in my home. DH and DD want no part of it (yet!). My inlaws think I'm nuts. But, I do have a very strong support system in my brother and sil. They are awesome! I couldn't and probably wouldn't be veg without them.

So. That's my story and brief introduction. I'm very anxious to get to know all the MDC veggie moms!

Tracie (wife of a Bob Evans manager)
#9 of 338 Old 05-18-2004, 11:10 PM

I'm here!! I'm just a regular ole vegetarian. DH and DS1 are omni's. I was 15 and wanted to do the "cool" thing and be veggie, but I knew my mom wouldn't go for it, so I gave it up for Lent Then just kept it up. Was vegan for 2 or 3 years, but I was such a dirt poor hippie that I couldn't afford to keep up my health. So I went back to vegetarian.
:LOL my son just is eating chicken from the grill and told me it was so good he wishes I was an omnivore so I could try some. not a chance!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#10 of 338 Old 05-18-2004, 11:46 PM

I slowly became a veggie because meat just started grossing me out. I was still eating chicken when I became pregnant with dd two years ago and just seeing chicken would make me run a throw up so I became a vegetarian. DD had a problem with dairy so I quit for awhile but now I do eat yougurt and cheese. I rarely eat eggs.
#11 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 12:12 AM

I am a dairy, no eggs vegetarian. I don't drink cows milk though. My Dad married an almost vegan women when i was 7, so it was totally forced on me at first. Of course I hated it and ate at McD's whenever possoble. But then I strted learning more about animal cruelty and what they do to /put in meat, and decided I liked it that way. I completely stopped eating meat in 1994, and go on and off with being vegan. DD and DH eat the same way i do. My family is pretty cool with it, but they always make spaghetti with marinara sauce when we go visit them. Not that its not good, but I know they all eat beans too, i just like something with some sustenance to it. (Silly vegetarian-- go eat some lettuce!)
Any of you have kids who will not eat but maybe 4 types of veggies, and absolutely no raw veggies? DD is so picky about veggies, and always teases me about wanting some turkey! She loves to get me going.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#12 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelocks
IAny of you have kids who will not eat but maybe 4 types of veggies, and absolutely no raw veggies?
thats both of mine! But only raw veggies. My oldest loves salads, and my youngest only likes orange and yellow and white veggies at the moment ( age 3)
But the are both great soy/tofu eaters, and great fruit eaters. And our munchy snacks are a big bin of raw and roasted almonds, soy nuts, sunflower, cashews...yum!
#13 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

So do any of you all get the weird "we don't know how to feed you" vibe at visiting family or friends or when out? Recently I went to a lactation conference, and there was no healthy option ( I say healthy cuz the meat entree was greasy gravy food) and I had asked ahead of time (when I paid) for a veg option. THe option? Salad and noodles. My family is pretty health food conscious but still gets flustered at feeding us. My inlaws bring their own feed back of soda/junk foods when they come visit and won't try anything I make...
#14 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 09:55 AM

I'm new here and saw this thread, so I decided to jump right in!

I've been a vegan for about 3 1/2 years now. I was a vegetarian prior to that basically for my whole life. I became a vegan pretty much overnight, and that seemed to work best for me. It did take awhile to stop missing cheese though, hehe

My son is 7 months and vegan, but I'm not sure if I will raise him vegan or vegetarian yet. My husband is a vegetarian.

Looking forward to posting here!

Cat
#15 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome to MDC Cat. Good luck with your son. I have 1 vegan child and 1 LO/V child. My youngest is has lactose issues, and my oldest doesn't. It makes it interesting around here!
#16 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 12:18 PM

Hey another vegan family here.
DH and I have been vegan for 14 years, all our children have been vegan since conception and all are extremely healthy- no vax, no doctors, just healthy organic food!!!!
We became vegan after I suggested we do it for a month to get off the egg and cheese diet. Two months later we said hey I feel really good. We haven't looked back.
When visiting my family, my mom prides herself on having vegan cookbooks from the library and trying different recipes for us. I am sooooo lucky to have her support - last year we felt okay to leave dd and ds1 with her while we went to the It in Maine. Mom kept them well fed with a strictly vegan diet.
peace all-
maria
#17 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 12:32 PM

My family has no issues.. but i have gotten some flack from my moms friend who works at a meat packing plant.. go figure... :rollseyes

i am happy to see all the vegans/vegetarians around... altho Erin has yet to come and introduce herself... :LOL

im lucky in that my dd will eat all fruits, veggies, and salad.. not a picky eater at all...

#18 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 01:02 PM

I'm vegetarian- DH is a meat eater that has gone to all free range stuff and is toying with the idea of vegetarianism.

I don't mind using some eggs and dairy but I buy local free range organic products. We try to stick to whole foods- avoiding processed stuff and "look-a-likes" We usually only get those when we're going to a gathering- I'll buy tofu dogs and boca burgers if we're going to a BBQ for example.

I have to share a cute little story- the other day DD (3 in june) and I were looking in the pond at the new apartment complex we're moving into. She wanted to touch the fish. I said-

"the fish won't let us touch them"
why?"
"Well, because they are scared of us."
"why?"
"I suppose it is instinctive for them to swim away from us"
"why?"
"Well, maybe because some people eat fish." (DH eats fish btw)
long pause... with confused look "mommy no eat fish?"
"Thats right mommy doesn't eat fish."
sad look... "Daddy no eat fish TO!"
"Well, we can talk to Daddy about that..."
"hummm" (means yes)

I thought it was so cute, but even cuter is that hours later when he came home her first words to him were

"no eat fish Daddy!"

My little vegetarian It is so cute, because I've never tried to teach her to be vegetarian, and I've let her make her own conclusions about it all. The only thing we've done is call meat by its animal name (chicken=chicken beef=cow pork=pig) so that she really knew what the product was.
#19 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia80
My family has no issues.. but i have gotten some flack from my moms friend who works at a meat packing plant.. go figure... :rollseyes

i am happy to see all the vegans/vegetarians around... altho Erin has yet to come and introduce herself... :LOL

im lucky in that my dd will eat all fruits, veggies, and salad.. not a picky eater at all...
same here- both my girls will eat whatever you put in front of them... it sure is nice! I feel for mama's of picky eaters.
#20 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The only thing we've done is call meat by its animal name (chicken=chicken beef=cow pork=pig) so that she really knew what the product was.
I agree! That is a huge important factor in making children know where the food comes from. I am always suprised in my older childs class how many just have no idea what most of their foods are made of. We also use the term cow milk and almond milk because I have to know that my youngest does not accidentally get dairy ( she gets so sick). My oldest always asks what kind of "burger/milk/bacon"....when eating at friends.
#21 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 01:43 PM

khaila is funny too.. when we went vegan she was soo happy... she would unfortunately burst all her friends little bubbles.. and had a few in tears... she would tell them that chicken is chicken, beef is cow etc.. and some actually called my dd a liar...she used to not so much anymore ask ppl who carried McD bags if they had a cow or a chicken or an animal in there... :LOL and she was only 4 at the time.. we have only been vegan for about 8 mnths but were never huge meat eaters to begin with.... i had been vegetarian on and off througout my teenage years...

kids are the cutest.. i wish we could all meet up and do a Vegetarian Mama Gathering with all the kids... :

they changed the lol code.. arggh..

#22 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysMama
So do any of you all get the weird "we don't know how to feed you" vibe at visiting family or friends or when out? Recently I went to a lactation conference, and there was no healthy option ( I say healthy cuz the meat entree was greasy gravy food) and I had asked ahead of time (when I paid) for a veg option. THe option? Salad and noodles. My family is pretty health food conscious but still gets flustered at feeding us. My inlaws bring their own feed back of soda/junk foods when they come visit and won't try anything I make...
I get this all the time and I have been veg for nearly my entire life. I do a little dairy and very rarely eggs, but eggs tend to make me ill even the organic free range ones. Many in my family are veg, so it is a completely normal lifestyle in my little world. What really ticks me off is that most people assume I will be happy with salad. Ummm, I don't like salad a whole lot. And when I do eat it, it is fresh mixed greens, never iceberg I really prefer things like pasta, beans, rice and lots of veggies. I have been known to bring my own stuff when visiting. My son is mostly veg, though for some unknown reason he has an affinity for Wendy's chicken nuggets. Outside that he eats pretty healthy. Most days his idea of a snack is a bowlful of fruit. His dad is pretty good about not doing much meat in the house, but once in a while, he cooks something. I don't make a big stink about it though. Besides, I have a dishwasher with a nice heavy cycle and a sani rinse option.
#23 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlee
What really ticks me off is that most people assume I will be happy with salad. Ummm, I don't like salad a whole lot. And when I do eat it, it is fresh mixed greens, never iceberg
LOL- I hate iceberg- what is up with that? We eat salad almost daily and are pretty content with it as a meal (I usually have almonds, sesame seeds, or somehing to top food to improve the healthfulness of it with me) but not ice berg. or even leaf lettuce. But various greens so there is some substance.

When we go places we always bring a dish now-
#24 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia80
she would unfortunately burst all her friends little bubbles.. and had a few in tears
OMG my oldest girl too! She was wearing the " I am not a nugget" shirt with the baby chick on it in the 5th grade class the other day ( she is 2nd grad) and some of the kids got really curious and were asking questions. She proceeded to describe how geletin was made and grossed out about 1/2 the class that was carrying those jello-packs.

T kinda, it is going to get harder to be a mindful vegan with new products like this cropping up
Fish genetically added to greens
#25 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 04:20 PM

Sounds like they're just adding genes of algea & shrooms, not fish... but ****... why mess wuth it at all? I'm surprised they didn;t mention flax as a source for omega 3's... maybe it's not that mainstream yet??

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#26 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 05:50 PM

: Hi all. I recongnize most of you from eating forum. Good move, a lot of people get offended. I have never been a pushy veg, eat what you will. Anyhoo, just became vegan after 16 years as a veg. To be honest I did it to lose some of this baby weight, but I feel so good, I'm not going back to the dairy. Dh, dd, and ds (as soon as he can eat) are not veg. I only let dd eat tky, chx, and fish, dh eats whatever he wants, but most of the time they're veg. Rarely is there any meat in the house, dh is a sweetie about it all. I figure the kiddos can figure it out when they're old enough, just like religion or anything else. I gotta tell you tho, last night, dh cooked, and I was eating the salad, and I was like, "this tastes so meaty, it's really strange. What's in the salad dressing?" He said, garlic, lemongrass, fish sauce... Oh I wish you hadn't just said that! Fish sauce, all of a sudden it was such an overwhelming taste! Just rambling

Mama to 3:
#27 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 06:56 PM

Hi all! Vegan for approx 3 1/2 years. Found out ds was allergic to milk protein when he was a month old. Since he was exclusively breastfed, I eliminated all dairy from my diet (took a while to find those "hidden" ingredients). As ds approached the year mark, dh gave up dairy (gasp!). Then when ds reached for a piece of meat on my plate, dh and I looked at each other, and we became vegan overnight.

BTW, my little vegan (4 1/2) doesn't like ANY raw veggies, and the only way he'll eat <some> cooked ones is if they're pureed and/or hidden
#28 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 09:41 PM

Hi, new to the thread:

I have been dairy, no eggs vegetarian since August 1992. I went veg for ethical reasons and it was the best choice I ever made

I went vegan for about six months somewhere along the line, but had a really hard time with it; my hair started to thin and fall out; not pretty.

I married a meat eater who now loves tofu, hummus, etc... but still needs a steak every once in a while. I would love it if my 2 ds grew up as vegheads, but I really believe it is an individual choice and should not be pushed on anyone. So, I will educate them about vegetarianism and let them decide for themselves. They are both still young, but my oldest is already loving tofu and veggie burgers, and has only ever had soy milk. I seriously try to limit the amount of meat he eats.

My parents have always thought that my vegetarianism was just a phase and they have never really fully supported it. I still get "it's so hard to cook for you," and "we never know what to make for you." I am the queen of making a full meal out of "sides." LOL

Thanks keysmama for starting this thread!
#29 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 09:49 PM

It's so cool to hear everyone stories! Does anyone happen to be from Maryland? Specifically, around Anne Arundel County? I would love to meet up with other veggie moms and kids!
#30 of 338 Old 05-19-2004, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ARGH! I posted a long reply and it got lost. Suddenly I no longer have a smilies menu on the side. What's up with that?

Anyway, I'll make this post shorter now.

I don't have kids yet but I will raise them vegan when they choose to come along. I don't have a problem with it - kids will find something to tease about. I was 99% vegan and I got teased for being a nerd, and for eating foods that were "weird" because I had severe allergies to wheat, eggs, milk, cocoa, nuts, soy, and tomato. But they didn't make fun of my vegan items, just my other things like rice noodles. Go figure! I'll raise them vegan and obviously once they are old enough, they can make their own choices about what to eat, although my house will always be vegan.

To make a long story short, although we ate little fish or chicken growing up, I had to learn about the concept of vegetarianism on my own as a teen and ate vegetarian once my allergies subsided until a few years (long, dark, personal years) at the end of my teenage years. Then I saw the light and was vegetarian again until I met DH - also a veggie. We both went vegan shortly after moving in with each other and haven't looked back since.

Slightly ff topic

I'm glad to see someone finally started a thread for us where we can post without it turning into a debate. Obviously not all omnis want to turn it into a debate (see "do vegans eat honey?") but those that do ruin it for us when we want to ask a simple question - given that we're vegetarian or vegan. I, myself, read other dieter's choice threads like the NT foods so that I can learn about where other people are coming from and what they do. I would never jump in and try to convince them to be vegan. One omni person finally pointed out that these debates will never be solved because most of the vegans/veggies are choosing a diet from an ethical perspective, whereas most of the omnis debating choose their diet from a health perspective. If we can't agree on HOW to choose a diet, we'll never agree on which diet is best, no matter what that diet consists of. Just like some people choose to eat a raw foods diet (that happens to be vegan) because they feel it's healthiest, I couldn't do it and wouldn't do it even if it is healthier than my current diet.

Let's agree to disagree! At least we all agree about AP! And we are all trying to do the best for our children. That is very important.

My parents have both continued to accept my choice although my mother has her moments of "but how will you get adequate calcium while you're pregnant?" Here's a funny story:

DH and I went to her house for Thanksgiving (we brought the Tofurky) and the upstairs neighbor's grown sons were both there. I grew up with them but they'd never met DH before. My mother introduced him to them and in the same breath said "They're vegan!" HA! I tried to explain that it was like introducing someone to someone else and telling them right away that they are gay, as if it's something wierd and important to know before you get to know the person. Sigh!

DH's mom (gone from us now) was never supportive of his vegetarianism and was always "forgetting" it even after 15 years of it! His dad is supportive - he made up a vegan shepard's pie for us recently that was really good - but also rather passive-aggressive, always telling us about great meat dishes he's eaten at some new restaurant or making jokes about eating the wild geese that lived in the marsh behind his house. We're also bird-watchers and he's always making rude or mean comments about birds. It's like he can't help it.

Early intervention specialist and parent consultant since 2002.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page