Writer Mamas Tribe - Mothering Forums

#1 of 256 Old 06-27-2004, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's the new place for writer moms to get together for sharing and support. We can talk about our latest writing projects, commiserate over rejections, share strategies for getting published, etc.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 256 Old 06-28-2004, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can you read my poem? i wrote it for my grandma who is in a nursing home; some of you may have read my posts last week that she broke her hip in a fall?? she is recovering slowly from surgery, this is just something i wrote about her today. i put it in the writers forum too but i saw it is closing, that is

here's the poem:

if we could take you into our home,
we would.

if we could be with you 24-7 to take care of you,
we would.

if we were strong enough to lift you out of bed & bathe you, to feed you 3 meals a day and make sure you got all your medicines on time,
we would.

if we knew you would be safe if we let you live with us,
we would.

but we do not know that. it is so scary to think of you getting hurt or sick here & being so far away from a hospital.

if you think it kills us knowing you are not happy,
it does.
#3 of 256 Old 06-28-2004, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your poem Joesmom. I'm so sorry to hear what you are going thru.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

#4 of 256 Old 06-29-2004, 10:43 AM

i enjoyed the poem - thanks for sharing My grandfather is in a nursing home to
#5 of 256 Old 06-29-2004, 11:19 AM

thank you both, it is hard...
#6 of 256 Old 07-02-2004, 01:27 AM

Nice poem joesmom. I'm sorry your grandma and your family are going through all those difficulties. Were you able to share the poem with your grandma?

I would like to get back into writing poetry too. I wrote one the other day, but it's more humorous than serious - at least it's intended to be humorous. I also just wrote about 5000 words YAY! which is the beginning of a novel that's been running around in my head for a few months. Unlike my other (unfinished) novel, this one has a middle as well as a beginning and end (although only the very beginning is written). It's a good start for sure. Most I've written in one day in a long long time.
#7 of 256 Old 07-03-2004, 12:04 AM

I am new here and just going through some of the threads that I am interested in.

My writing work? I am putting together my own Christian magazine. It would be similar to a Redbook, Ladies Home Journal and Cosmo type. Meaning it will be all Christian based but it will also have health and beauty, fashion, advice, etc.

I had to put it off a little until after I have my baby (I'm due Oct.3rd) Right now I'm just sitting around twiddling my thumbs because I haven't had a chance to go out and do interviews and get articles to put in it. Maybe I can get some input from some of you more experienced writers being that I've never put together a magazine before.

I would just love to get back into the swing of things so I don't feel like such a lump for the next two months. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do until I get back in the swing of things?
#8 of 256 Old 07-03-2004, 11:24 AM

I think sometimes it just helps to start........and finally get out of the rutt. KWIM? I keep a book laying around ........and write ideas or anytime I have something to write Sometimes I think my dyslexia keeps me from entiring my work in cause I don't want to get laughed at

As for putting a magazine together...........wow That is a huge Job in itself. I use to do yearbooks, which is somewhat similiar idea. I also use to write Newsletters to....but have never done a magazine. Would love to though What kind of program are you using for the Magazine?

I would start getting things ready with layouts & ideas Making contacts with writers & advertisements. I would look at other magazines & figure out how to make it your own & do it better.

Well let us know when it comes out........definitely interested in hearing about the work in progress!!!
#9 of 256 Old 07-03-2004, 12:51 PM

Well I use several different programs: Photoshop, QuarkXpress 6.0 (dont like that one too much), Pagemaker, ImageReady. Whichever one I need for the particular project I'm working on . I also use Dreamweaver for the website which my DH designed for me .

He did the layout and I input all of the information. I did have a few ppl interested when I first started but then they all got into doing other things and decided to leave which is understandable .
So now I'm the Editor, Publisher, writer, layout artist, webdesigner, photographer, etc. etc.

I haven't given up though. Its hard to give up when you finally find your purpose and this is mine. I already started a business for my DH it started as a video store and now he's turned it into his dream job-a computer repair/service/retail store so he's happy. Now its my turn!!

And hey don't stop writing if thats your passion. I have adult ADHD but I pray about it and try to stay focused (which isn't easy).
#10 of 256 Old 07-03-2004, 01:30 PM

Junbabe 14, your magazine sounds very intriguing. I would love to be involved with something like that, I need to find some kind of income. Right now I am involved with the Nat'l Alliance for Autism Research, designing our committee's newsletters, business cards, etc. It is so fulfilling but alas it is a volunteer organization, so...
#11 of 256 Old 07-03-2004, 01:58 PM

"So now I'm the Editor, Publisher, writer, layout artist, webdesigner, photographer, etc. etc"

WOW........multi talented women!!!!!!!!

I also have ADHD....so staying focus can be difficult.....lol

I haven't given up though. Its hard to give up when you finally find your purpose and this is mine.

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on the baby coming to!!!
#12 of 256 Old 07-03-2004, 05:13 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to say hi....I've never seen this tribe before.

My name's Kelly, and I've always enjoyed writing (I'm one of those students everyone in the class hates because I'm the one raising her hand asking hopefully "Will there be essay questions?? No? Well, can you put some on?" lol)--BTW, I'm still in college (nursing school). I've written a little bit for my college newspaper (the Delphian), mostly Op-Ed and persuasion/activism types of pieces.

I'm also very excited because after some hard work and loooong nights (I'm sure you all know what it's like to get bitten by the writing bug at 10pm, only too look up from your computer to see that it's now 3:30am!! And you can't bear to stop now-you're on a roll!), one of my articles is getting published in ALACE's quarterly journal "Special Delivery". It doesn't bother me that at this point in time, they can only "pay" me with a gift certificate to their book store I'm trying now to tweak it for possible publishing in a real magazine. I would love to be able to combine my two loves-birth and writing and be somewhat known for it (or at least compensated for my time).

My biggest problem (lol, ask the editor at the Delphian, he'll tell you) is that I have a MAJOR roadblock when it comes to writing about something that I am not personally interested in. That is not to say that it must personally effect me, just that I have to be interested. If not then it comes off sounding like a term-paper of sorts. I'm not sure if this is immaturity on my part, or (as I like to think) that I just like to focus on my passions. Anyone else have that problem? If so, what do you do about it?

Well, it was nice "meeting" all of you, best of luck w/everything. Please excuse the typos-I'm on the library computer and the keyboard is from 1901 it seems (lol) and I'm being timed, so I really can't edit right now.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#13 of 256 Old 07-03-2004, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

I know what you mean about preferring to write about your passions. That's what I love about being a freelancer though - I have a choice. I write features for my local newspaper but I try to always chose ones that mean something to me - I do a lot about the library, parenting groups, locals who provide a meaningful service to the community etc. Every once in a while, they assign me something I don't really care about but luckily not too often - usually I come up with my own story ideas so it works out well.

#14 of 256 Old 07-03-2004, 09:47 PM

I would love to let those of you that are interested check out my magazine's website.

But you would have to private message me and I will send you the link. I don't want to get in trouble here.

Thanks kindred for the other site.

I will check it out as soon as I get a slow period.... (yeah with 1 hubby, a 7,9,13 & 19 year old in the house, dinner not cooked - and its already 8:45 and me not having a nap all day) but it does sound interesting.

I'll visit it in between stirs..
#15 of 256 Old 07-04-2004, 02:56 AM

Hi guys! I haven't posted at MDC for awhile but getting back into it again maybe! LOL! I am Sarah, 25 yo mom of 2 DD's! I have a BA in Journalism and need to get back into my writing LOL! I also am getting my Master's in Library and Info Sci!
#16 of 256 Old 07-07-2004, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

bump

#17 of 256 Old 07-08-2004, 12:07 AM

Well I got a good start on my book but haven't done much if anything, since the weekend. It's a busy week for me since I'm trying to squeeze 6 workdays into 4 so we can go away next week. Hope to be getting more done soon. Short things are good because I can finish them right away.

What's everyone else working on?
#18 of 256 Old 07-08-2004, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Cool Queenie - hope you get to keep going with your novel.

I'm excited because I just got my book off to the copy editor. Phew - I'm so glad it's done.

#19 of 256 Old 07-09-2004, 11:25 AM

: mom to one 12-year-old waterborn ball of fire :
#20 of 256 Old 07-09-2004, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

You mentioned that you have some material to write about - that sounds like you have some ideas. As for topics, things that are important to you are a great place to start. Even letters to the editor on issues you are about are a great way to get practice. Also, a critique group can be both motivating and a good way to get feedback which can help you to fine tune your pieces.

#21 of 256 Old 07-09-2004, 07:34 PM

Its nice to see this tribe. I'm a new mom still " cookin'" my baby -- eta: 12/12/04, and I usually just head over to the due date club, but this caught my eye.

I'm a college professor so much of my writing is nonfiction and technical (political science) -- I just got my first book back from the copy editor, and I am so excited that it will be in print at about the time little Wyatt or Willow comes into the world. I also just finished an article that a journal will be publishing soon.

I have lots of academic projects that I'm very excited to get started on -- but I also really want to write essays/articles for more popular readerships, and of course I have ten or twelve novels kicking around in my head. I have a fantasty that I during my maternity leave (9 months !) I will be able to write for pleasure, and not for work.

Its hard to allocate writing time between all the different projects, though.

I was glad to see the poem, btw.
#22 of 256 Old 07-10-2004, 01:24 AM

I'm working on an essay for a contest in Vanity Fair ... it's due 7/31 and I'm only about 1/2 done! I have a terrible time finding the time, space, mindset to write all at once, without interruption. I also have a monthly column in the local newspaper, and I suppose I should be finishing that up instead of hanging around here. I find deadlines to be helpful, actually, in getting my pieces completed instead of languishing in draft stage. But, lately I've been scurrying to meet them late at night, not exactly my best work.
#23 of 256 Old 07-10-2004, 01:15 PM

Hi everybody! Good to see this thread is moving along. I haven't gotten anything done since I last posted, every night this week there was something after work. By the time I've gotten home, it was too late. But it will happen!

Hey zeldah, can you share the details of the Vanity Fair contest with us? (That is, if you don't mind the competition. ) I looked on their website, and didn't see anything. If you want....

Going away for a few days whheeeeeee!
#24 of 256 Old 07-10-2004, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Rain32 and Zeldah - looking forward to hearing more about your writing. I'm reviewing a play tonight for the paper - I hope it's good, I don't like to write bad reviews.

#25 of 256 Old 07-10-2004, 11:55 PM

Afraid of a little competition? Not Me!

Here's the link for the guidelines for the Vanity Fair Essay Contest:

http://www.condenet.com/mags/vanityf...ge_2_final.pdf

and now, I've got to get back to work!
#26 of 256 Old 07-11-2004, 11:19 AM

#27 of 256 Old 07-11-2004, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Raven - glad you joined in. What are you working on?

#28 of 256 Old 07-11-2004, 05:03 PM

Im working on a creative recovery programme. Have you heard of the book The Artists Way by Julia Cameron? Its based on this but for a group rather than an inividual. Its a 12 week programme and is rather intense.

I mostly write poetry though. I have been writing poetry since I can remember! lol

Its a very special outlet for me and I feel very passionate about it too.

Here are some things that I have written that I have put in the Writers

Board:http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=114811

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=130449

#29 of 256 Old 07-11-2004, 05:27 PM

Hi all-
I publish a zine and once ds starts his summer program (tomorrw, tomorrow!), I will - cross my fingers - have the entire 1 and 1/2 hours while the baby takes his morning nap to work on getting my next issue out. I'm trying to finish an essay about camping out for Springsteen tickets back in the day, and one on a trip through the Moroccan south when I was in the Peace Corps. Plus the usual adventures of motherhood stuff I write about. Let's hope this turns out to be a productive summer for us all!
#30 of 256 Old 07-11-2004, 05:56 PM

Hi, Mamas. I am also a writing mama, and mostly the things I write about have to do with breastfeeding and birth, and the transformations which naturally occur when one becomes a mother. I write a newsletter for our area LLL, and I also submit things basically within the LLL arena -- I have not jumped out of that safety net yet. In college I won 7 out of 13 awards for different essays in a humanities contest (and surprisingly none had to do with parenting, since I was not a mother yet).

Motherhood has given direction and purpose to my writing. I am interested in starting a local zine, but I am not sure if local is the only way to go? And I already have a plate heaving with too much stuff to do -- but I am pulled to trying a zine-type-thing for my area.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page