Nova Scotia-wide 1st Annual MDC Mamas Meet-n-Greet!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-07-2004, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, here we go...
bwylde and I were discussing this on the new south shore thread I started earlier this am, and we think that all the NS MDC mamas should get together once a year. And since summer is the best time for travelling, esp. in this province, let's go ahead and start planning.

First, I know we have members in the following locations: Yarmouth, Wolfville, Enfield, Halifax and surrounding, and I think there's someone in Cape Breton. Plus, we have some visitors this summer, too!
I don't want to just assume Hfx is the most central location, but it just might be our best bet. There are other places, too. My family just had a picnic at Graves Island Park near Chester, it's nice. Point Pleasant comes to mind, though I haven't seen it since Juan, and I'm scared. Same with Public Gardens... Any other ideas?

We should plan it for a weekend, perhaps in August?

What does everyone think of this idea?
#2 of 28 Old 07-07-2004, 12:31 PM

As I said before, I think it's a great idea

Late August/early Sept would be best for me since I'm due August 6th and you know how that goes :LOL: . I can't think of any better locations than you've mentioned, mainly because I've never been to any of them and would love to see them (well, I've been to the Public gardens, but not in a few years).
#3 of 28 Old 07-07-2004, 05:54 PM

Oh.... I'm lurking in on this one! We're still not decided on when/if we'll visit this year, but it would be awesome if our visit (if it happens) was around the time of your meeting!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#4 of 28 Old 07-07-2004, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would LOVE to come up to Halifax for a get together! I'm hungry to meet mamas who won't look at me crosseyed when I talk about breastfeeding for years instead of months, or why I don't want branded baby clothes for a shower gift, or how I think the local hospital's 25% C-section rate is unacceptable.
Anyone on this list from the South Shore? I'm hoping to build a network now before my baby's born....

Excited to be here!
#5 of 28 Old 07-10-2004, 05:52 PM

I posted in the South Shore thread but will post here as well. I am planning on being in Lunenburg Co. mid August and if the get-together happens then would try to make it all depending on my parents as I am flying home withour my other half so will be depending in them to get around.
I should also introduced myself here My name is Terri and I am from Chelsea near Bridgewater but have lived in Montreal since 96. I am a SAHM to Hunter and my current hobbies are CD, slings and my pet birds.
Oh Hi Melanie. .nice to see you here. I love that quote from that Cary Grant movie it is one one my favorite movies with Cary Grant well along with Father Goose and a few others. I actually had been meaning to e-mail you and ask what the name of your husband`s familys bakery is so I could stop by.

Terri
Hunter Clark 03/24/04

PS For those of you that get The Lighthouse Log I am going to have Hunter`s birth annoucement in soon ,well as soon as I can get it clipped down in size.lol
#6 of 28 Old 07-10-2004, 06:34 PM

Hi Terri!

The bakery is Juliens. The have a store in Chester and another in the Hydrostone in Halifax. They also do the Saturday market in Halifax and the Lunenberg market on Thursdays. My MIL works the market, so if you stop by you'll have to tell her you "know" me.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#7 of 28 Old 07-10-2004, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail
Point Pleasant comes to mind, though I haven't seen it since Juan, and I'm scared. Same with Public Gardens... Any other ideas?
Just to set everyone's minds at rest, the Public Gardens are as lovely as every, and they've removed all those low fences to keep you off the grass around the ponds, so watch your kids don't get in the water with the ducks (it's not deep, my friend's little girl decided to test it out a few years ago, but still!). Point Pleasant is also still lovely, although your heart will break when you see how many trees are gone. You can see some of the paths that used to go "through the woods" from the shore now! However, this is nature's way, and the regrowth will be lovely when it happens!

Alison
#8 of 28 Old 07-10-2004, 09:56 PM

T Alison... That picture of your son in the forget me nots is absolutely gorgeous! Too sweet. (I meant to post that when I saw it in the flower discussion on CDN Cloth Diaper. )

Melanie
#9 of 28 Old 07-10-2004, 10:01 PM

Thank you! His dad took the pic, and sometimes he amazes me!

Alison
#10 of 28 Old 07-11-2004, 09:19 AM

Hi! This get together is a wonderful idea! Later in August or early September would work best for me, as the Congrès Mondial Acadien is happening in mid-August and I'll be pretty busy with family reunions, etc. My thesis is also due the following week

ITA with Alison...PP Park is still lovely, but it can be a bit disorienting now as you can see the city, other paths around you, etc. It now feels more like an urban park, as opposed to a remote forest. I think the biggest difference is that the park used to be a lovely, cool walk on a hot day. Now, with so many trees gone, there's no shade!

Looking forward to meeting other MDC mamas! Maybe we can have Julien's cater?!:LOL
#11 of 28 Old 07-14-2004, 08:23 PM

Count me in!!! I'm excited! The end of August is best for me as well. I can't wait to meet you all, and to see my old playgroup friends .

Natalie
#12 of 28 Old 07-19-2004, 08:28 PM

Great idea . We moved to Halifax a month ago and have hooked up with Jellyfishy (she's great ) but we haven't met any other MDC mama's yet. The end of August would work well for us too...and we love the public gardens, they're gorgeous!
#13 of 28 Old 07-26-2004, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

So, I'm thinking Saturday Aug 21 or Saturday Aug 28, in the Point Pleasant (more parking and more 'run-around' space than public gardens). Does this work for you? Let me know...
#14 of 28 Old 08-17-2004, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

So, is this Saturday still good for everyone? I was thinking something like 11 till 2pm, bring a picnic lunch, and maybe some game ideas for any older kids. I still think Point Pleasant is best.
#15 of 28 Old 08-18-2004, 08:33 AM

I'll be there... with my big bump!
#16 of 28 Old 08-18-2004, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

hey! welcome back, uuelizabeth!

So any one else coming?
#17 of 28 Old 08-20-2004, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

So, the interest on this seems to have waned...
Is this not a good weekend after all? Who would be able to make it for Aug 28? What about Sept. 4?
Any thoughts?

(I guess it's off for tomorrow...)
#18 of 28 Old 08-20-2004, 06:58 PM

What's the weather supposed to be like for tomorrow anyway? If it's anything like today, it won't be that pleasant!

If anyone's kicking around Halifax tomorrow, DS and I are heading for the Farmer's Market! Not too early--maybe 9:00. Anyway, there's pics of us in my sig, so if you're there, keep your eyes open for us!

Alison
#19 of 28 Old 08-20-2004, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

I think it's supposed to be warm and sunny. I still don't think the gathering will be happening... :-(
#20 of 28 Old 08-20-2004, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

ok, I just checked again, and now it's rain/showers
#21 of 28 Old 08-20-2004, 08:08 PM

I'm probably out as I just had a c-section and am unable to drive and DH doesn't drive . I don't know when I'd be up to driving that far.
#22 of 28 Old 08-21-2004, 10:56 AM

Well, it looks like it's probably not happening today then... but I'm sure hoping we can do it in the next two weeks. I need AP mama friends!

Bywylde, where are you? If it's anywhere vaguely in my vicinity I could give you a ride...
#23 of 28 Old 08-21-2004, 06:19 PM

I'm down in Yarmouth, so kinda out of the way.
#24 of 28 Old 08-21-2004, 06:43 PM

We might be able to make it on the 4th of Sept. if our moving van has not arrived yet. Krista Voth
#25 of 28 Old 08-22-2004, 07:34 PM

Jacob's b day party is on the 28th.

If we have one on a weekend in Sept, you can all come to my house in wolfville! I have a great big yard and citronella torches

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#26 of 28 Old 08-29-2004, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

I tried to post Friday night and Saturday but the boards were down. Nothing happened yesterday. I have to admit, I rally don't have the time or energy to plan this. I think it's a really good idea, but I already have so much on my plate, I just can't do it. If someone else wants to pick it up, feel free!
Sorry.
#27 of 28 Old 08-29-2004, 04:48 PM

Not to hijack, but how're you feeling these days, Pam?!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#28 of 28 Old 08-29-2004, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Pretty good. I never used all the diclectin, but I still take some B6. I was so surprised how drowsy diclectin made me, and I just couldn't be that lethargic with a toddler around! Thanks so much! I'm really glad I didn't fill the prescription and find out $100 later how sleepy it made me.
Halfway there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page