Mothers of Spirited children roll call - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 121 Old 07-13-2004, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm Mothernature and I'm the proud mother of a very extroverted, high energy, enthusiastic, intense, persistent 3yo girl and a sweet little 5mo boy who's qualities are, as of yet, unfolding. I really feel like I could use a little support from other mothers who are parenting a child or children who would be considered more .

Sometimes when I post about my daughter I get responses from other parents who really don't know what I'm dealing with. I don't mind reading through the responses and sometimes they are well thought out and insightful, but sometimes it's just nice to be around others who can empathize. So, if you are parenting a spirited child and could use some support from time to time meet me here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 02:02 AM

Fancy meeting you here!!

Ppl IRL think that Tracy is this psycho out of control kid. In reality I think he is a normal 2 year old. He just has the energy of 1000 men. I asked my inlaws today if Tracy was like dh as a toddler. They laughed. They said that Ben was very active but had spurts of energy. Tracy is one giant spurt that NEVER slows down!!

But I agree sometimes ppl underestimate kids and their energy!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#3 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 02:11 AM

I have a spirited introverted ds - he is very intense and shy but will open up to people he knows and trusts. He has been soooo demanding of me since in utero. I have never slept through the night since November 2001 when I was only halfway through pregnancy. He continues to wake me often at night. Until recently he couldn't be left alone at all and play by himself. Now he will do it for a few minutes at a time, but mostly he needs me by his side. When he was a baby I could never put him down, and he napped in my arms. He was the most challenging baby I knew of all my friends (I made lots of friends with babies the same age, born the same month) and I could get no support from them. They were concerned, but probably thought I was exagerrating.

anyway, he is blossoming into such a sweet, lovable, adorable boy, but he is still oh so challenging!!!
#4 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 03:31 AM

Hi mamas - I have a spirited dd, now aged 15, and a more "typical" dd age 5. Just wanted to pop in and tell you that it does get better and that the payoffs for raising such a special kid grow bigger and bigger every year. Now people I don't even know are telling me what an "easy" teen I have (they are nuts - have NO idea, but I nod and smile) and she gets so much praise from adults.
But oh it's been amazingly hard too, especially in those early years.
Whatever you do, don't be tempted to compare your child to others whose behavior makes life so much easier for their parents. It's much better to find other mamas with spirited children so that you can see you are not alone.
I met Mary Sheedy Kurcinka this Winter at a lecture. She asked how old our kids were - I told her the oldest was 15, but had only lived to that ripe old age due to the book!
#5 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! I have a very spirited almost 3 y.o. daughter, Ainsley. I knew before she was born she was going to be 'more' as she kicked the crap out of me starting very early. She's very precocious and so imaginative, but has a hair trigger temper and lets it fly when she is upset. Like another poster said, I think people who don't know her well think she is a wild, out of control child. I've heard side comments about her behaviour but for the most part I ignore them.

I think her personality overwhelmes my youngest dd sometimes, she has a hard time dealing with Ainsley's energy and noise. They seem to be polar opposites which will make for some challenging years to come I'm sure.

MotherNature-funny how we both picked the same smilie to represent our dc's. That smilie seems to capture Ainsley so well

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#6 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 04:12 AM

hi!

i have a very spirited, extroverted almost-4-y.o. boy.

sometimes (ok, i confess, a LOT of the time) it's hard for me to deal with, because i'm a pretty laid back introvert.

he is VERY high-energy and talks non-stop, even to himself, his stuffy friends and his imaginary friend Bobber.
#7 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 04:28 AM

hi! my 4.5 year old son is also soooo very much more! he has the sweetest, most unique soul, but yes, he is very often challenging and so full of energy. tonight my neighbour came by to introduce himself and chat and the boy was throwing things at him and jumping all over him and doing the whirling dirvish and showing him every single one of his books and talking and talking and talking away and torturing the cat etc etc while we tried to converse (sound farmiliar?)..

his little brother (10 months) is also his polar opposite- very mellow and content most of the time. keeps to himself, and thus gets looked over too often

glad to know teenagehood gets easier? i read somewhere that this is often the case with spririted children..
#8 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 04:49 AM

My dd was that way from in utero and before! I also think too children raised naturally have more energy and also with a more AP lifestyle there is less suppression of normal emotions and reactions. But spirited children are spirited children regardless and vice versa, its amazing how strong the personality is even from the moment of birth, and if not sooner!

Who stole my signature!
#9 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 09:57 AM

Tracy is the same way! He just jumps all over ppl and talks to them. He gets real close to their face if he can. He is such a loving little boy if you can get past the rest.

I used to envy ppl who had babies that were laid back. But now I see it as a our benefit that he is do active. We are in ministry and we travel and see different churches and ppl. He is so easy going and jsut loves ppl that he gets along great!

We'll see what hapens with Bryce!

Did/Do your spirited children sleep well?? Tracy has never slept well. I doubt he ever will!

#10 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 10:13 AM

Hi, joining you all. I'm mom to one 7.5 year old spirited girl. She's intense, perceptive, persistent, bright, and beautiful...
I always say kids like this are why AP is necessary...I don't know how I would have survived her babyhood if it wasn't for the sling, family bed, and breastfeeding. She has an INTENSE need to touch--tho' only in the past few years has she slept through most of her nights, I can't imagine what it would have been like if she couldn't wake to nurse, or at least snuggle. (The waistbands on my pj pants are all stretched out from her putting her legs into them while we both slept--she wanted to feel SKIN, not flannel. )
She would have been very happy to be raised in the Amazon rain forest---swinging constantly in a hammock, with no clothes!!

The book was a life saver for me when she got "older"--when I read it when she was still a toddler, I was still deluding myself that I was seeing "normal" toddler behavior...by 5, I learned that she was just MORE...But the whole reframing that Kurcinka suggests has really helped me. She's not nosy, she's curious; not noisy, but dramatic; not spoiled when she expresses her disappointment or anger loudly, but intense, with REALLY strong emotions that are at times frightening to her.

Snow, thank you for the hope...I am hoping that the intense investment we have made in her will pay off. School has been a mixed bag--she loves to learn, but her intensity is a bit of a liability socially. I wish I could find the right tools to help her. Right now, I'm just working on trust--trusting that my little persistent and empathic problem solver will find her own way through.

Anyway, hi to all of you, on whatever stage of the journey...and a recommendation for Kids Parents and Power Struggles, a great book for the parents of the persistent!!
#11 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbabysmom
Hi! I have a very spirited almost 3 y.o. daughter, Ainsley. I knew before she was born she was going to be 'more' as she kicked the crap out of me starting very early. She's very precocious and so imaginative, but has a hair trigger temper and lets it fly when she is upset. Like another poster said, I think people who don't know her well think she is a wild, out of control child. I've heard side comments about her behaviour but for the most part I ignore them.

I think her personality overwhelmes my youngest dd sometimes, she has a hard time dealing with Ainsley's energy and noise. They seem to be polar opposites which will make for some challenging years to come I'm sure.

MotherNature-funny how we both picked the same smilie to represent our dc's. That smilie seems to capture Ainsley so well

Oh, I think we picked more than the same smilie. My dd is very much the way you described yours; very precocious, highly imaginative with a hairpin trigger temper. She can be the most misunderstood child at the playground, but other adults (with grown children) are always amazed and impressed by her. I hear all the time, I've never seen anything like her before. She's so brilliant. Sometimes I fear that she is sooo enthusiastic that she doesn't take the time to assess the situation before she jumps in. You know, look before you leap. She has another friend who is spirited in the opposite extreme and I think sometimes they are really good for each other because Zen will force her to try new things and her friend will drag her feet enough and caution enough that they have to move a little more slowly.

Klothos- my dd has imaginary friends too. I love it. She has created an imaginary school with imaginary teachers, friends and a school bus. I look forward to hearing about her imaginary day.

IOF- Zen sleeps very well once she stops fighting it. She would (and has ) stayed up past midnight just exhausted and then the mighty fall... It sounds like Tracy is irregular. Bonus!
#12 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 11:21 AM

Yeah, we have moved his bedtime earlier to 10pm :LOL Most of my friends with kids get theirs to bed before 8!

Bryce is so laid back. I'm not sure what to do with him!!

As for temper... Tracy has a red hot one! And he has worse than a hair trigger. He is an automatic! It is really hard on dh because he is one of those men that has an "immediate response" mentality. When he says do it he expects it done (he is even like that with me so I think I'm good for him )

Our biggest issue right now is "back talk" When I tell Tracy he isn't allowed to jump off the kitchen table onto the cat he yells and screams at me "No! Mommy bad! Stop it! Sit down!" We never tell him he is bad but what he did was bad... like smacking Bryce in the head with a hot wheel was a bad thing to do. So, I'm at a loss. He is constantly telling me no and to sit down

#13 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Zen has a habit of asking why when we ask her to do something. While I'm glad she's not a blind follower, sometimes I just wish she would do what I ask simply because I asked her. I don't question her every request of me. I keep telling myself that many of her most challenging qualities will serve her well in adulthood if cultivated properly. It's just sometimes tedious at this stage.
#14 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 12:20 PM

I'm new and not sure if I fit in here b/c your children are much older than mine, but I have a very spirited, or as some ppl would say, "high needs" 13 month old. She's slept through the night maybe a month total. We had to co-sleep with her from the beginning even though I had hesistations. She had to sleep right on top of me for about three months, then I got her where i could hold her in the crook of my arm and sleep, then after a few months she would sleep on the bed without me touching her, just right next to me. She's pretty independent when she plays during the day now, but sometimes I have to sit right next to her so she will do it. Most of the time she won't let me get ont he computer or do the dishes or whatnot. At about 10 months she started sleeping through the next. Funny thing was, she was going to bed at midnight! But she would sleep until about 11 the next day! Well, we moved and she had to get resituated. So she started going to bed earlier and she was sleeping pretty well-THEN she started cutting four top teeth at once! Gah! So she started waking up like 5-6 times a night and was taking two milk sippies during that time! I think we're finally getting back on track since those teeth are through. Her bed time is 10 and she's started taking only 1 sippie again. Anyway, that's our story I thought it would be nice to be able to converse with other moms w/ children like my crazy bean!

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn - Benjamin Franklin"
#15 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 12:23 PM

I have a spirited 18 month old. She has an almost 200 word vocabulary and while other little girls in the neighborhood ( there are 3 of them her age) speak softly and sweetly, Dylan yells everything. She is subject to intense nuclear meltdowns and she bosses everyone around. SHe will repeat herself over and over until she has received a suficient answer. She nurses like a newborn and doesn't sleep through the night.

We just moved her (last night) into a crib at night, and in there last week for naps. I am almost saddened to say it, but I think cosleeping was the right move as a baby, but the stimulation of being beside us made her even more restless as a toddler. I can put her in her crib and she will say "Night night" and fall asleep. It is so sad to not have my baby beside me all night, but the fact that she only woke 2 times last night is really great too!

My house hasn't been clean since she was 6 months old when she started crawling and pulling up. She was walking (errr, running) before 9 months and it looks like a tornado has hit everyday since. It is very challenging, espessially when she loses her temper.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#16 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 12:29 PM
pia

OMG - why didn´t I look for these posts before! Feel like you are all describing my ds!!! I have HUGE issues with my Mom because of his spiritedness. Three days ago she told me she had a nightmare about him because she is so worried about his behaviour. She has even suggested that he might have ADHD!! She is a former school teacher and is forever comparing him to all the "delinquents" she had in school - and insisting that all psychologists would agree with her!!! The other day she told me that most of them would say: "Denying your child limits is the greatest punishment you can bestow upon them." I told her that we have most of the limits that most other people have, we just deal with them differently, non-violently and gently!
More later - have to run to the post office with my wonderful, spirited child, who wants to be with me ALL THE TIME
Anyone else having issues like this???? I feel sometimes at my wits end - not knowing what to do....
Not really looking forward to my Mom visiting this evening (am cutting her husbands hair!) :
#17 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 02:20 PM

Oh boy do we ever fit in here. My 3 year old is definitely spirited (although we lovingly refer to her as high maintence :LOL). She has been this way forever. In fact her first baby sign was 'gentle' @ 9 months old since she loved to pull down and climb on top of the other babies when she was in daycare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbabysmom
Hi! I have a very spirited almost 3 y.o. daughter, Ainsley. I knew before she was born she was going to be 'more' as she kicked the crap out of me starting very early. She's very precocious and so imaginative, but has a hair trigger temper and lets it fly when she is upset. Like another poster said, I think people who don't know her well think she is a wild, out of control child. I've heard side comments about her behavior but for the most part I ignore them.
The above totally describes my daughter as well. The temper is what gets the best of us. She is so stubborn and will not budge on anything. Trying to reason with her is like hitting your head against a brick wall. She is just amazing, though. She is so loving and empathetic. And she really has great manners. She is always saying please, thank you, and sorry (yep... she needs to use this one the most).

Looking forward to getting new insight here from you ladies.
#18 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 03:08 PM

Mine is a great kid too! She is very polite (please, thank you...) until you do something like take a pen away or remove her from the cat whose tail she is yanking.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#19 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 03:17 PM

How funny to find you mamas here...Klothos, gr8ful, and its_our_family I shoul dhave know.

I too have a VERY Spirited child. DD is almost 3, and wow I dont have the words, as I am so tired. Considering myself and DP are very laid back, calm humans dd has forced us out of our shells to meet her needs. Have a wonderful day mamas

darkstar
#20 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am reading all these posts and nodding, nodding, nodding, because I can relate to all of it.

My mom is pretty good about dealing with Ainsley's behavior, heck she had a kid herself that was pretty high maintenance so she knows. But, she has said she thinks Ainsley has ADD, which I was not happy about. That is a huge reason why dh and I are looking into homeschooling. I know the teachers will try to label her, and try to break her spirit. (I get tears in my eyes just thinking about her going to school) Anyone else here going to homeschool their dc? Is it because of their spirit that you chose to do so?

Dh's family pretty much think she is out of control. They are very traditional, spank your child into submission type people. Did anyone here fall into attachment parenting because of your high needs child? I started out very traditional-the things I did when she was a baby, oy, I am so embarrassed about them now, and can't believe I did that to her. After Bethany was born I was going off on Ainsley all the time and one day the anger lifted and I was like Oh my gosh, I'm turning into one of those moms, and immediately started changing my parenting philosophy. (I can't believe I'm sharing this here, can I still hang out even though I'm still learning the ap way?) I have a good ap role model in our playgroup leader and I met another ap mom at the playgroup that I have become good friends with.

Anyone have any bad stories involving your spirited child? I had an old man in the grocery store ask me "can't you control that thing?" because Ainsley was throwing a temper tantrum in the cart. When I told him to mind your own business he said "well kill it then!" I was so shocked I left the store in tears. It seems that society as a whole is not very tolerate of children, especially high spirited ones.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#21 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 04:32 PM

: yep, some people are beyond insensitive. that makes me realize, tho, that in reality we should probably be kinder to ourselves in having to deal with our spirited ones. i can't speak for any of you, but i had major GUILT that my child was so hard to handle, and still do often. but then i remind myself that i am doing an awesome job, esp considering the work it takes. and i am so glad he was born to someone who aps!

like most of you, he was this way in the womb. constantly moving and kicking and twirling. he was an extremely unhappy baby cried/screamed for a year straight. hardly ever slept. the first time he slept 3 hours straight he was 4 months old! the first time he let me nurse sitting down he was 11 months old, and it took about an hour to slowly get him into a trance enough to allow that. he was (and is) constantly alert and so sensitive to everything.

he also has major stubbornness, determination and an amazing temper when things don't go his way! but his persistence is incredible, has artistic ability well beyond his (few) years, taught himself the alphabet at 3, has been writing for a year, has deep love and consideration for his brother and animals. he's terrific! but i'm so glad that other mamas understand the challenge of these types of children!

also, as for sleeping, he was an awful sleeper until about 3. since then he has slept very well, except that he only sleeps 9 hours a night!! yikes. anyone else's kids need less sleep than the average child? less sleep + WAY more energy = exhausted mama!
#22 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 04:36 PM

My family was at an art show once (I was selling some of my birth art ) and Dylan was about 14 months old singing (screaming) "Old McDonald, kitty, meow meow, E I E I O!" over and over. It was a family-friendly affair and outside.

I had Gr8fldad man my booth, though while I went to play with Dylan and he told me that he heard one woman say to her husband, "Jeez, thank God that kid left E I E I O. How much more of that does she expect em to take?' Her husband saidm "She was cute" and the lady said, "They should have put something in her mouth...like a gernade."

Not as bad as rocker's story, but still...

It seems like whenever we go anywhere (play group, LLL, API group, the park, the pool) we have to leave first because she hit another child or she is throwing things. OF course, when I gather her up to remove her from situations it just opens the doors for a whole 'nother melt down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar
How funny to find you mamas here...Klothos, gr8ful, and its_our_family I shoul dhave know.
ahhh, our reputations superscede us!

#23 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar
Hehehe....

#24 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 04:52 PM
pia

Hi Brandi - and everyone else with wonderfully spirited children (doesn´t that really mean everyone - seriously, aren´t all kids naturally spirited, just some more enegetic than others?)

We are homeschooling Oliver (he´ll be 6 on Sept 28th) and it´s working very well for us. Homeschooling was a natural follow-on from Ap, but the older Oliver got, the more sense it made. We did check out a Steiner/Waldorf school school, but it was definitely too rigid for what we wanted for ds. I just couldn´t see him going to school - he wants to do his own thing, make things his own way and in his own time - and he is just so creative. Last year we enrolled him i a very free thinking Steiner preschool, but even there they had their routines that he just didn´t want to follow. My thinking was basically - why should he. He didn´t want me to leave him there either. So - with major support from the owner of the preschool - we left. We travel A LOT - so that was also another factor in deciding on homeschooling...we live in India and Spain several months a year. But - apart from being the most logical choice for us in Ap terms, it also makes sense with regards to giving Oliver the freedom we feel he wants and needs. I am rambling now, I know!!

Someone else said - and agree: "...also with a more AP lifestyle there is less suppression of normal emotions and reactions...." and yes - spirited children will be spirited children regardless of upbringing...
But Ap is more conducive to retaining the spirit in a child, than some more repressive parenting methods - and also many schools.

Ok - not sure all this makes sense. Running between computer trying to finish this post and dressing Oliver as an ancient Roman.

Btw - he has an incredible temper....part of the reason my Mom thinks he has major problems - he has hit her when he´s been angry (and others)....when she push his "buttons". Most days I wish she could be a fly on the wall to see how polite, empathetic, kind, generous....etc etc. he can be.

Would be great to hear how more about homeschooling and how you deal with family and friends on this topic.
(One friend didn´t want to be a friend anymore just because of Oliver and his spiritedness....another long story :-(

Mamma to Oliver (28 Sept 1998)

#25 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pia
(One friend didn´t want to be a friend anymore just because of Oliver and his spiritedness....another long story :-(
I think we have ppl that avoid us for the same reason.

#26 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 05:07 PM

Am I the only one with a shy, introverted spirited child?

I can relate to most of what you all are posting, but my ds doesn't run up to people he doesn't know or be demonstrative so much in public unless he is comfortable in the situation, but at home he is extremely willful, has his opinions, will correct our speech (!), sings at the top of his lungs, dances, jumps, and plays all day and all night, is prone to major meltdowns, screams when I go to the bathroom...

And he is unbelievably sensitive and perceptive - he will pick up on the smallest detail and comment on it - like when a biker in the park whizzed by at top speed and had practically disappeared in an instant, ds said "look, Mama, Spiderman on a bike!" I just caught the image of a blue and red biker way in the distance before it was gone...

He is starting to be more demonstrative lately, now that I think of it. Perhaps he is becoming more secure - he will run away from me FAST in the park or in a store, and at the local park drum circle he HAD to have a turn on the bongos!
#27 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 05:11 PM
pia

Same her - pretty sad! Life is infinitely more interesting in my mind with Oliver than without - despite the fact that it´s hard sometimes. Hard when you don´t take shortcuts - maybe more so with a high-need, energetic and spirited boy.
Am sure people avoid us too....makes making friends hard. Luckily I have one very very good friend who is also Ap and has 3 kids... :-)
#28 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 05:37 PM
pia

Just had an urgen need to tell you all about my friend who didn´t want to be my friend anymore!
She is someone who had been my best friend for almost 20 years - always there for me, and I always tried to be there for her. We always inspired each other, we are both artists, and we shared the most intimate *secrets*... And this despite the fact that most of the time I had lived abroad.
She also has a daughter who is 6months older than Oliver. When we moved back home to Norway we tried having the to kids play and sometimes it worked, sometimes not. She is not Ap at all (cry-it-out-to-get-to-sleep amongst other things), and we never really discussed parenting. I didn´t want to bring it up because I knew she would never change. She is an incredibly strong and willful woman - most spirited in many ways!
Anyway - one day when visiting, Oliver wanted to play with her daughter but she didn´t, mainly because of some previous experiences, and it just got a little out of hand. In my eyes it wasn´t a big thing, Oliver swung this rubber cord a little to close to her while she sat on her mother´s lap whining. Unfortunately that´s just the kind of thing to get Oliver going...and he swings the rubber cord even more! :-O
It all ended with my friend leaving.

I discussed it with Oliver after they left as I normlly do, but after that thought nothing more about it. But after a few days it all came out during a phone call with my friend.
To cut a long story short: She had expected me to send Oliver to his room, and I hadn´t done it.
She thoughjt we had no limits whatsoever and was disappointed.
The following emails got pretty nasty from her side, despite me trying to explain our ways and to suggest other ways to meet without children (I had another friend check all the mails I sent before sending them to make sure I was nothing but graceful - Ap for kids = Ap for adults, right).

The ensuing result was that she decided she wanted *a break from the friendship*.
I told her my door was always open for her and her family.

Oooh - feels good to have written this. This happened about 5 months ago. And all this because of a spirited child´s behaviour!
I just didn´t see why we couldn´t be friends despite our differences.

Thanks for reading - anyone with similar experience...
suppose this is slightly off topic!? or what? T ??
#29 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Bless all of you who have responded. I keep hearing my struggles reflected in each of your posts.

AdrianneWe- although my dd is not an introvert (lol if you only knew) I do know what you're dealing with. My dd is in a playgroup with all introverts and at least one of them is quite spirited. I've seen her mother struggling in social situations and I really have compassion for her. Each characteristic has it's good and less than stellar aspects.

I'm planning to purchase the workbook that goes with the spirited child book. Is anyone else interested in going through the exercises with me?

I recently posted a thread about a breakthrough I just had about the section on introverts/extroverts. It really made me feel empowered and lonely all at once, which is why I started this thread. I do feel like my dd needs me to advocate for her more. It's really hard when you're spirited too.

On the homeschooling topic, I always thought I would homeschool my children because my dh was diagnosed with ADHD and always had such a negative experience in school. I knew there was a possibility that our children may have a different experience in school than the average child. After getting to know my dd, I may have to reassess homeschooling though. She really seems to thrive in a more structured environment and she craves the social interaction she would get in school. My other thought was to possibly apply for a grant to charter a Sudbury Vally style school in our area. We have actually initiated a curriculum (very loose) in the form of activities for preschoolers that stimulate creativity and learning, but I am still undecided about schooling at home or outside the home. My biggest hurdle with homeschooling would be that dd is much more receptive to information presented by other respected adults than by me. For some reason, if I am the one explaining it she resists. I don't want learning to be a battle for us. I really want her to cultivate a love of learning on her own. That is why I'm attracted to the Sudbury Valley model.

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I'm feeling so uplifted and supported already. Please keep them pouring in. Maybe we can use this forum to garnish the support we need.
#30 of 121 Old 07-14-2004, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothernature
AdrianneWe- although my dd is not an introvert (lol if you only knew) I do know what you're dealing with.
Thanks! For a moment I thought maybe I didn't belong here!

Quote:
I'm planning to purchase the workbook that goes with the spirited child book. Is anyone else interested in going through the exercises with me?
Yes!

P.S. how did your web link (introverts/extroverts) go to your homebirth pool page? :LOL I loved the pix tho!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page